AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Omega One Frozen Foods

Registered Member

Default Omega One Frozen Foods

My LFS only carries the brand OMEGA ONE frozen fish foods. Is this a good quality food for my discus? Thank you in advance!

Registered Member

Default Re: Omega One Frozen Foods

I personally haven't used it but I hear they are good. I prefer Hikari myself

I also prefer Hikrai Bio-Pure but I wouldn't be afraid to use Omega one if that's all you can get.

I don't know what you are looking for as far as variety and amount but I think you should check out www.liveaquaria.com They have a large variety of frozen foods and their shipping is a flat rate of $20 for overnight shipping on any amount of food that you order. My LFS sells flats of Hikari bloodworms for $16/1 lb flat, while www.liveaquaria.com sells them for ~$7/flat. With that in mind I save when I purchase anything more than 2lbs of bloodworms at a time online and I don't have to waste time and gas to go get them. Generally I'll spend more like $130 and the freezer will be stocked for 6 months or so. But, I have lots of fish and this may not be practical for you. I just wanted to let you know of another option. It's the cheapest one I've found yet for Hikari brand.

Registered Member

Thank you both for replying and for the website to order food! I too have heard that Hikari is best but only found Omega at our store. I do have one other LFS to check out and if they have Hikari, I'll get it.

I'm sure its good but I have tried other brands that were said to be fine, and just went back to Hikari. There is really no comparison when you look at them side by side and then see how the fish react when you put it in the tank. Order from a reliable internet source and order enough so you even out the shipping cost.
    Last edited by MSD; 11-21-2008 at 09:32 AM.
    Mark

Registered Member

You could always order it from Drfostersmith.com

http://pet-supplies.drsfostersmith.c..._switch_search

I think its $19.99 for shipping but you don't pay tax so you should order a bunch to last you a while. Its next day air on the order.

Haven't done it personally since my LFS carries hikari.

Registered Member

I have been ordering from the Dr. arrives next day, if you look at the price, cheaper than the the LFS.

I usually feed Hikari to discus. I did buy some Omega One silversides once to feed my aro when my LFS were out of Sally's. The Omega silversides were cleaned and chopped, and my aro didn't care for that much, so I never bought them again. I have never bought any other Omega food, this experience kinda turned me off to the brand.

Registered Member

Hi there, I bought a bulk package of Omega One fbw, the Discus liked them but I was a bit disappointing how much water the worms were frozen in. A fairly big piece of frozen food rinsed in a net was mostly water, not much worms.

I've found Hikari fbw bulk packs to have allot more worms than water, much better value for the money.

IMO Hikari is the only way to go...unless you are a breeder or hatchery and need to order vast amounts of food.

And by vast I mean hundreds of pounds of food. And by that point you would make your own food.
    Last edited by cyang; 11-11-2008 at 02:01 PM.
    Chaz

Why not go beef heart mix (not necessarily use beef heart)??? You will save so much money in the end . . . and we all need that now a days.

I feed only a BH mix, tetra bits, spirulina flake and another type of flake.

~AKA~