AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How Many is TOO Many??

Registered Member

Default Re:How Many is TOO Many??

I have to agree with John N. I think Discus are happier in crowded conditions, unless they are Breeders. But like everyone said, you must keep the water clean! JMO- Frank

Registered Member

Heres my thought on this ..

Only put in as many fish as your filtration can easily handle if you cant do water changes. IE a vacation away from the house..

I think the 7" fish to 10 gallons gives you a bit of breathing room so you can take that vacation.

Peace,
    Roger

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

Before you go on vacation you should stop feeding your fish and do a couple of large water changes then you don't have to worry about the filtration as much.

-john

Bringing up the vacation factor.... How does everyone do it and for how long. We were discussing this last night, here at home, trying to decide the best wat to go about this.

Say we wanted to be gone for a week?

Do you try to find a professional sitter?

Leave detail instructions on each tank?

Feed with Automatic feeders?

Or like John said stop feeding them a couple of days prior to leaving and just don't feed while gone?

I am/would be very leery of anyone that did not have the *fishy sense* dealing with feedings.

But I have also thought about pre packing the feedings labeling everything etc... have a checklist posted on each tank. ie-air flow/temp reading/cloudy or clear water/spots on fish/all fish eat? The normal stuff we all look for each and everytime we pass a tank.

Maybe I should have started a new thread with all the questions ???

Registered Member

this is one of a 65 gal community with 12 in it currently. there seems to be plenty of room when they need to scatter out. and the water is very clean, but the tank could use some attention. they think i am going to feed them. cg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12