AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gwynnbrook Farms Discus Hatchery

Default Re: Gwynnbrook Farms Discus Hatchery

I wish you would post pictures of your visit . I have only heard good things about Peter and would love to visit his hatchery.
    Roberto.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by alpine View Post
    I wish you would post pictures of your visit . I have only heard good things about Peter and would love to visit his hatchery.
    Roberto.
    Ya know I never even thought to take my camera. Will do though next time I visit.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyDiscus View Post
    Hi Munchkin,

Just wanted to say that I too have purchased discus from Peter over the 17 yrs that I have known him. When I was there last he had a hugh tub of misquito larve and copepods. There was no evidence of live worms anywhere. I asked him if he fed worms and he said"NO verms". I believe him. All of the fish I purchased from him are doing great. See picture attached. If at the very least it is worth the trip to his place. He has been doing this a long time. Is his place spotless? No. It has character.

Ed

What happen to the Whiteworm Room, did he take it out.

Cliff

Banned

I've been there the last 2 years and have not seen this room...if it exists

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by CliffsDiscus View Post
    What happen to the Whiteworm Room, did he take it out.

Cliff

I only saw the one room that all the fish were in. Never saw any other

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Munchkinz View Post
    I only saw the one room that all the fish were in. Never saw any other
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    I've been there the last 2 years and have not seen this room...if it exists
    Graham,
    You can ask Peter about the whiteworm room this was back in the early 90's when the
    electricty cost was much cheaper, as I recall there was a air conditional in that room.

I did have some of his Dexheimer Red Discus back then.

Cliff

Registered Member Imperialdiscus's Avatar

Unfortunately my experience with Peter Thode was the single worst fish buying experience I've ever had, bar none.

Many years ago, I purchased some fish from him based on the pics in his ads back in the very early 90's. After a couple of phone calls, and assurances that he stood behind his fish, I purchased a number of adult Discus, Red Turquoise, Cobalts and Royal Blues for 100.00 - 150.00 each. As I recall, I got a total of 8 fish.

When I opened the boxes I was devastated. Every single fish he shipped me was badly deformed and should have been culled when it was young. One had a badly deformed spine, one when looking straight on was curved to one side making it look like a potato chip. Another had horribly deformed ventral fins and so on.

Not a single fish worth keeping in the bunch.

I called Peter about the quality of the fish and got some lame story about how looking at pictures of Discus in a magazine was like looking at pics of girls in Playboy and how the real fish didn't always look as good as the pictures.

He refused to make it right, his cop out being that what I got WAS worth the price I paid for them. If I wanted good quality fish like in his pictures, I'd have to pay 300.00 a piece or more for them. Unfortunately, he made no mention of this when I was discussing my purchase BEFORE he got my money.

I ended up taking them to my LFS and dumping them, no charge.

While I see some glowing reviews of Gwynbrook here, they are on my absolutely avoid at all costs list.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12