ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: MinnFinn treatment and Flukes

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: MinnFinn treatment and Flukes

Quote Originally Posted by paultrout View Post
    Hi, this is Paul Curtis and am the developer of MinnFinn products. I am impressed with the level of testing and interest in our products. You folks are pioneers in working out details in other species. We have been getting some feedback on other species along with some controlled testing. We hope to have an aquarium product available in smaller volumes. It will be exactly the same, you just wont have to buy as much.

If you are so inclined please, forward your results so we may add it to our data base. We are going to move forward to try and get an FDA index for the product and themore irld data we have the better.

We have a new website at aquafinn.net where you can get more information and fill out a datasheet. Youcan also sign up for our newsletter and get past ones. If you would like me to send you more information please drop me an email at the address at the website.

Thanks and please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

Paul
    Paul, how would you conclude the test went with both Philip and Don? would this be normal behavior? what kind of water parameters are ideal for using your product? it's great to have someone stop by and follow up on their meds for once.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

I mentioned I had one fish with some fin damage. Here's a pic:

So, I trimmed her fin so that hopefully it will grow back nicely, not the best trim, but hey, I'm not a barber LOL:

But all in all, the damage to the bio filter was minimal, and all the fish came through just fine, as you can see here:

They "appear" to be over their case of flukes, I haven't seen any flashing, but some occasional fin flicking. I don't have, or know how to use a scope, and with only 11 fish, it's not cost effective to go down that road, so it's all observation on my part.

That's my contribution to the Minnfinn discussion

Registered Member

My flukes have also seemed to have disappeared after that last crazy treatment. Both tanks havent flashed or acted like they did before and seem to be much much better . Now to use some clout to kill these plant leeches I have... hate syphoning and finding leeches LOL.... its just gross LOL.

Sounds good Philip. Now comes the true test. The test of time to see if they come back again. I got my fingers crossed.

Kacey

Registered Member

Yeah that is what Im waiting for. Dunno if I should do another treatment or not. It took my tank about a week and a half to get back to the way it was LOL... fish had no problems through it tho . But a lot of them that where not eating much and stuff like that are crazy now and eat like they use to . Im so far happy with the pro0duct even tho it almost killed them LOL.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    Paul, how would you conclude the test went with both Philip and Don? would this be normal behavior? what kind of water parameters are ideal for using your product? it's great to have someone stop by and follow up on their meds for once.
    In general the fish will look sleepy. If they start to loose thier equilibrium then it is time to neutralize. The water quality may have some affect as hard water amy temper the treatment a bit. In working out the dosing, we may find that a 3/4 dose is better or a shorter duration of treatment. This is the information that is valuable when developing the treatment protocols.

Thanks to all and I am glad it sems to be working well.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Don in Virginia View Post
    I mentioned I had one fish with some fin damage. Here's a pic:

So, I trimmed her fin so that hopefully it will grow back nicely, not the best trim, but hey, I'm not a barber LOL:

But all in all, the damage to the bio filter was minimal, and all the fish came through just fine, as you can see here:

They "appear" to be over their case of flukes, I haven't seen any flashing, but some occasional fin flicking. I don't have, or know how to use a scope, and with only 11 fish, it's not cost effective to go down that road, so it's all observation on my part.

That's my contribution to the Minnfinn discussion
    The fin dammage should return without problem as it is on the end of the fin. You see more mutation in the regeneration once it gets closer to the base. The dammage may hav been from the parasite and it just looked worse once the parasites were gone and the affected tissue started to slough off.

You have some beautiful fish!

Paul

Hi Paul,
    I sent an e-mail to the link you posted earlier but havn't heard back yet. I'm sure you must be very buisy with introducing MinnFinn to different areas of aquarium keeping. Maybe you can answer it here easier.
    When dealing with flukes, I think dealing with fluke eggs is the real problem. There are many products that will kill all the living flukes and get results like we are hearing about in this thread, but the real problem IMO is in eliminating/killing the eggs. We try to break the cycle of reproduction by doing 21 day treatments and still they come back. Does your product kill the fluke eggs along with the flukes?
    Thanks

Kacey

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by kaceyo View Post
    Hi Paul,
    I sent an e-mail to the link you posted earlier but havn't heard back yet. I'm sure you must be very buisy with introducing MinnFinn to different areas of aquarium keeping. Maybe you can answer it here easier.
    When dealing with flukes, I think dealing with fluke eggs is the real problem. There are many products that will kill all the living flukes and get results like we are hearing about in this thread, but the real problem IMO is in eliminating/killing the eggs. We try to break the cycle of reproduction by doing 21 day treatments and still they come back. Does your product kill the fluke eggs along with the flukes?
    Thanks

Kacey
    Sorry I did not get an e-mail. I will have to check my profile. I don't mind answering questions at all. I really want to make myself available to MinnFinner's so we can build the best product possible. You folks are rally helping out with the home testing and I will help as much as I can.

In Koi treated for both types of flukes there have been no reoccurances of fluke after two treatments one day apart. I do believe it is killing the eggs as well due to the activity of the peacetic acid. Now this is in Koi and I hope to hear from iscus folks the same response in a fw weeks time.

Thanks again to all.

Thanks Paul. That sounds very encouraging. If that holds true for discus tanks as well, it would be well worth having to buy it in the pond size bottle.

Kacey

P.S. I sent the e-mail to: info@aquafinn.net

Quote Originally Posted by paultrout View Post
    The fin dammage should return without problem as it is on the end of the fin. You see more mutation in the regeneration once it gets closer to the base. The dammage may hav been from the parasite and it just looked worse once the parasites were gone and the affected tissue started to slough off.

You have some beautiful fish!

Paul
    Thanks, Paul. The fin is already regenerating nicely, and I've had experience clipping fins before, so no problem there. Maybe you are right about the parasite damage, I don't know. In any case, everyone's fine, in fact I've got too many fish pairing up laying eggs

Real Name
    Ricardo

that's great to hear Don, this really does sound promising. only problem for me would be the Bio die-off but you said it was minimal, correct?

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    that's great to hear Don, this really does sound promising. only problem for me would be the Bio die-off but you said it was minimal, correct?
    Well, at first I thought minimal, but I've been getting Nitrite readings every day at between 0.25 and 0.50 ppm. I change 75 of the 125 gallons, and the reading disappears. Next day it's there again. Yesterday when I got home from work it was 0.25 ppm. Maybe today it'll be dropping even more. But the point is, it required at least a 50% WC every day while the filters were cycling again.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Don in Virginia View Post
    Well, at first I thought minimal, but I've been getting Nitrite readings every day at between 0.25 and 0.50 ppm. I change 75 of the 125 gallons, and the reading disappears. Next day it's there again. Yesterday when I got home from work it was 0.25 ppm. Maybe today it'll be dropping even more. But the point is, it required at least a 50% WC every day while the filters were cycling again.
    ah i see. That would be the only reason for me not using it in my situation but if i still had my BB setup i will definitely use it

Cafepress.com

Hi Don,
    Add around 4 tbsp/10gal while there is nitrite in the tank. It helps the fish deal with the nitrite which would otherwise be very hard on them.

Kacey

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast