AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: MY JUVIE ROYAL GREENS

Registered Member

Default Re: MY JUVIE ROYAL GREENS

Hi guys,

I just saw this long thread now and am very happy for the nice fishes. But I have seen arguments as to their name, and let me just clear this up:

Willima Palumbo has Green Discus (S. aequifasciatus), probably from the lower Juruá (see Bleher's Discus volume 1, ppp. 186-187) BUt these are NOT so called Royal Green.

The latter name I have "invented" around 1969 (see DISCUS, by Bleher & Goebel, 1992), after together with Hans-Willy Schwartz we established the name "Royal Blue" for fully striped Blue Discus (S. haraldi). And the "Royal Green" was established (by me) for FULLY SPOTTED Green Discus. Unfortunatley I do not see any full spotted Green Discus amoung yours. Only Moon at #53, his upper right fish on that photo is a nearly Royal Green.

Anyhow they are nice Green Discus and keep up the good work and with white sand.

best regards

always

Heiko Bleher
    Last edited by Chad Hughes; 01-12-2011 at 12:09 PM.

Registered Member

Thanks Heiko. As usual I am only calling them what I bought them as. Tho the term "Royal" is usually used to describe a fully striped fish. I can't say I ever heard it used to describe a spotted one, and my question is, should it? True, mine have mostly stripes, as I was not really intrested in the higher cost spotted ones. I did however move them into my 75g tank which contains a thin layer of white sand. I am working on getting some wood for it as well...Bill

Registered Member

Hi,

I think you are doing very well. "Royal" does in this case for the Discus mean the best, the most beautiful, etc. And as I mentioned was first used for the Blue one (the striped), then we also did give the best Green this name "Royal", but as Green are normally spotted (like some of yours, except one I saw which is striped and I cannot fugure it out from the photo, it might not be a Green, but I cannot see it well, on #78), the "Royal Green" was give to those extreme spotted, all over their body.

Keep up the good work,

always

Heiko Bleher
    Last edited by Chad Hughes; 01-12-2011 at 12:10 PM.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678