AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: TO AERATE OR NOT TO AERATE??

Default TO AERATE OR NOT TO AERATE??

Hi All,

I知 getting conflicting opinions on water aging. I have 2 55 G Holding Drums which house my water for my W/C. I keep the water agitated with an airstone and a heater keeping the water relatively close to the temp in my tanks (mid 80's).

I have been told that agitating and heating the water is waste of time. All I need is to keep the water in tanks for a day or so prior to doing my w/c. I was always under the impression I had to heat a aerate. I知 looking for opinions on this matter. Thanks all!!

Default Re: TO AERATE OR NOT TO AERATE??

Quote Originally Posted by alexfl73 View Post
    Hi All,

I知 getting conflicting opinions on water aging. I have 2 55 G Holding Drums which house my water for my W/C. I keep the water agitated with an airstone and a heater keeping the water relatively close to the temp in my tanks (mid 80's).

I have been told that agitating and heating the water is waste of time. All I need is to keep the water in tanks for a day or so prior to doing my w/c. I was always under the impression I had to heat a aerate. I知 looking for opinions on this matter. Thanks all!!
    You need to agitate the water and heat it, and depending on the whats in your water...treat it.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

yes forgot to mention, that i treat it as well. Ok so you agree to agitate and heat

yes forgot to mention, that i treat it as well. Ok so you agree to agitate and heat
    Yes, air and heat. Your fish will love you for it.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

Registered Member

The ONLY way I would say no need to agitate/aerate your water is if it was pretreated through a large degassing tower. But even then, if you are heating it you need to have the water moving (aerated) to heat it evenly and efficiently.

-Ryan
    -Ryan Karcher
    Aquatic Eco Systems Technician

Registered Member

Hi All,

I知 getting conflicting opinions on water aging. I have 2 55 G Holding Drums which house my water for my W/C.
    If you are adding Prime (or equivalent) and there is nothing special in your aging water (like driftwood or moss) then there is really little point aging it.

Quote Originally Posted by mjs020294 View Post
    If you are adding Prime (or equivalent) and there is nothing special in your aging water (like driftwood or moss) then there is really little point aging it.
    Actually there is, depending on the PH and amount of co2 gas in the water, it is critical. And as you may assume the amount of stress on the fish is near null, the regular stress will weaken the fish over time and then you'll be posting in the disease section. Then I'll refer you to this post.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

Registered Member

Leaving confusion aside, I'm with Eddie. Heat and aerate your makeup water to make it as much like the water in the aquarium as you reasonably can, minus the waste products. People who fill from the tap often end up with issues because the tapwater varies in terms of dissolved gasses, which can be harmful to your fish. Aged water at the right temp avoids potential problems.
    Last edited by Jhhnn; 03-07-2010 at 10:18 PM.

Real Name
    Rick

Is it neccesary with RODI water? I wouldn't think so as the water pretty much drips into the storage barrels......Opinions?

Registered Member

RODI water is very "dead" there is really nothing in it. I would personally not use strait RODI water. at the very least you should heat it and check it for TDS( give you a idea of the condition of the membrains)

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    Is it neccesary with RODI water? I wouldn't think so as the water pretty much drips into the storage barrels......Opinions?
    Even though it has been processed to such a point that it contains very little anything in it, it is still necessary to aerate it in some form or another. pH balance, dissolved gasses balance (very important), etc.

Bottom line is that if you age your water (regardless of source), there is no excuse to NOT heavily aerate it. Better safe than sorry.

-Ryan
    -Ryan Karcher
    Aquatic Eco Systems Technician

Real Name
    Chris

Definately heat and aerate.

Chris
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."~ Mahatma Gandhi