AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Back to BB

Default Re: Back to BB

Quote Originally Posted by DerekFF View Post
    only problem with my 110 tall is that i just cant reach the bottom with anything other than a net or some extendable hooligan
    Do you mean somebody to hold onto your feet?

SUPER good idea, only problem with my 110 tall is that i just cant reach the bottom with anything other than a net or some extendable hooligan
    My friend has a custom 180+/- tall and he tossed his 4 year old in the get the sand out when he went BB with his reef.

Quote Originally Posted by DerekFF View Post
    So I started out with about an inch of gravel and now after about 4 months of gravel vaccuming have decided to go back to BB. It looks cooler, easier to tell when its dirty and is just easier to deal with all around. I had the worst experience getting the gravel out, its a 110 tall so i cant reach the bottom without being on a ladder lol. I tried to suck it out with a hose.....got clogged....tried to scoop it with a net.....cant get ALL the gravel.....spilled like 5 gallons of water on my floor in the process and probly not associated with my gravel dilema but now i have strep throat. All new people save urself the trouble and go BB!!
    My juvie discus hated the BB tank. Even after I painted the bottom they still freaked out and would go dashing around the tank. Anytime someone approached, into the glass they went. After three weeks and watching two of them kill themselves I made a few changes. Added in some decor and fake plants. Now all is well. They are eating and swimming normally. Of course this is also not a 110 gallon tank and much easier to clean.

when I want to get gravel / sand out, I use a grey water hose (like would be on your washing machine). It's at least 20mm in diameter. Gets it out quickly & without sending all the muck into the water column.

I'm still a fan of the planted tank, but only for adult discus.
    Cheers
    Robyn

Quote Originally Posted by mmorris View Post
    Do you mean somebody to hold onto your feet?
    I have a pug....do dogs count?lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12