AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 8 of 34 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you like FISHING!

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Default Re: Do you like FISHING!

Thanks for your comments Barb. The tournaments here are all tag and release now, and points are only given for fish that are released, with bonus points for those caught on circle hooks which don't allow the fish to be hooked in the gut and damaged.
    Wow 1 million is an awesome first prize but it a real shame to have a marlin killed to claim it. Unfortunately there is no way of accurately submitting a weight unless the fish is killed and hung on official scales.

Its funny for tournaments here we like getting the smaller ones quickly to the boat, tagged and released and quickly try to catch another one, while the bite's on.
    Hopefully one day the mind set will change over there for the 'Big Rock Tournament'

I'm fishing another tournament 'the Lizard island Black marlin classic' in about 4 weeks, where they also had the major prize for largest marlin, but a few years back they pulled down the weigh bridge, and never having competitors kill one again, however they still recognize 1000lb marlin caught with use of photos and witnesses.

I have taken the odd marlin home in the past, but l have come to relize that there are many better quality fish in the sea to take home for a feed instead
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

I sure do like your Aussie way better! I wish they would do it like that here. The ones that are guessed to be over 400 lbs are killed and brought in to be hung up on huge scales in front of hundreds of cheering people. It goes on for a week. They try to justify it by saying that all the competing boats have to pay hundreds of dollars each to be in the tournament, some money goes to scientific research and the rest to the winner. They keep the marlin's heads for some kind of research, they say. No one eats them as far as I know. I work at the local public aquarium where most of us think it is just awful to kill these magnificent fish. A few years ago some boat brought in a 1000 lb fish. Most are 5-800 or so.

Last week a tourist, man aged 67, went for a swim at midnight off shore all alone. His shark eaten body washed up 30 miles south several days later. He should have known better. Or maybe he did it on purpose?

Good luck in your next tournament, especially if it is catch and release !
    Barb

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Hi everyone. I've been poking around here, and still enjoy keeping, and taking care of my discus, but as l mentioned before my passion is fishing, and have been doing the odd trip since my last post in this thread. A good friend of mine suggested that l share some of my latest pictures with you all, so l thought l'd give this thread a bump. Hopefully some of you will also care to share some of your fishing adventures with us.

Have been catching some blufine tuna from here in victoria, and took my nephew Cameron on his first game fishing trip. His 15kg tuna was a real challenge, and put a smile on ever ones face that day.

i was also very fortunate to spend a few weeks in the northern territory, catching barrumandi and queen fish, though l must say that l enjoyed catching and eating mudcrabs the BEST!
    I had a little accidents with a treble hook...nothing some pliers and whiskey couldn't fix though

Looking forward to some of your very own photos.

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

I'm fortunate to have my daughter and grand daughter living back home with us at the moment, and l couldn't resist taking Izzy who is now 2 1/2 years old out on my boat for a fish.
    She wanted to pat all the fish caught which we had to be carefull off since some have nasty spines...was a great day though

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

My favorite fish to catch....then release.... is Marlin.
    I spent 2 weeks on a game boat fishing and diving out of Cairns on the Great Barrier Reef, just before Christmas, and met some wonderful people on the way up to Lizard Island. Its easy making new friends when you have common interests...a bit like us all here on Simply Discus.

Giant Trevelly GT

this photo taken from the Dive office before one of out dives on Lizard island

Spanish mackerel rigged up as a marlin bait

Hooked up to a black marlin

Real life aquarium...the great barrier reef

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO2kGhyXxNE

Check out this short video clip l put together.

AWESOME pics! I wanted to drop everything and go fishing!

BTW, those butterflies in that last pic are very special.
    When science and magic collide, the story begins.

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

Here is a bass that I caught back in college. She weighed a little over 14 and 1/2 pounds.

-john

Huge bass! I've only caught stripers that big! Since I've been laid off due to the economy, and since I live in the middle of mountain trout country, I go trout fishing almost every morning. The biggest fish I've caught this year has been only an 18" rainbow on a "Green Weenie" fly, but it's a lot of fun, and keeps me from getting depressed.
    Darrell

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Thanks guys.

Darrell, that's awesome that you live so close to trout streams, and catching them on flies is something that l would like to take up one day. Do you tie your own flies? Fishing also puts me in a nice state of mind.

John. That Bass is Huge. I didn't realize they get so big. Pardon my ignorance, but is it a large mouth bass?

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by Ed13 View Post
    AWESOME pics! I wanted to drop everything and go fishing!

BTW, those butterflies in that last pic are very special.
    Thanks for that.

Those Butterflies were born and bred on the Great Barrier Reef

Quote Originally Posted by two utes View Post
    Thanks guys.

Darrell, that's awesome that you live so close to trout streams, and catching them on flies is something that l would like to take up one day. Do you tie your own flies? Fishing also puts me in a nice state of mind.

John. That Bass is Huge. I didn't realize they get so big. Pardon my ignorance, but is it a large mouth bass?
    No, I've never tied my own flies, I just get them at the sporting goods store. I may try it sometime though.
    Darrell

Quote Originally Posted by two utes View Post
    Thanks for that.

Those Butterflies were born and bred on the Great Barrier Reef
    Well they are coralivores, one more reason the Great Barrier Reef is so amazing.

Hopefully, I'll be able to contribute some fish pics to this thread one day
    When science and magic collide, the story begins.

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

The Big Rock Blue Marlin tournament just took place where I live and the winner this year weighed in at 880 lbs. But looks like it died for nothing since the boat crew was disqualified from the $970,000 prize since one of the deck hands did not have the $15 fishing license needed in North Carolina to fish. Don't know if the 500 lb or the 400 lb will get more money for the crews in 2nd and 3rd place. Good pictures guys!
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Quote Originally Posted by Disgirl View Post
    The Big Rock Blue Marlin tournament just took place where I live and the winner this year weighed in at 880 lbs. But looks like it died for nothing since the boat crew was disqualified from the $970,000 prize since one of the deck hands did not have the $15 fishing license needed in North Carolina to fish. Don't know if the 500 lb or the 400 lb will get more money for the crews in 2nd and 3rd place. Good pictures guys!
    Barb
    I saw that on the news. Unbelievable. Not only did they lose the fish and the tournament, they will probably be fined as well.
    Darrell

yea very nice fish. Just came back from my King/snapper fishing in FL, 4days and nothing. All good, going sturgeon fishing for 10days next Friday. Hope to catch a 10ft monster will post pic if i do. Biggest to date for me is little under 7ft. man i love to fish!
    I do what I must do, to do what I wish to do!
    dominik

Page 8 of 34 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast