ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Maybe this will help with my ID

Default Re: Maybe this will help with my ID

Don't get too hung up on names or the fact that you can find 10 completely different looking fish that are all called Red Turqs. That's just the nature of discus keeping. You can get fish that look nothing alike in the same spawn.
    Use pictures and names as a VERY general guidline and never assume you know what a fish will look like judging by name only.
    Kacey

Registered Member Discus master's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaceyo View Post
    Don't get too hung up on names or the fact that you can find 10 completely different looking fish that are all called Red Turqs. That's just the nature of discus keeping. You can get fish that look nothing alike in the same spawn.
    Use pictures and names as a VERY general guidline and never assume you know what a fish will look like judging by name only.
    Yes i know I am beginign to see that now, the only question I would have now is if there are say 10 fish all being called red turq but thy haly look nothing alike then how can people judge how the fish looks for that given strain? I mean isnt there suppose to be a standard for each strain byond just the general shape and what not? in other words isnt a red turqsuppose to look a certain way as is a blue snake skin or a pigeon blood? so if they are bening called the same thing but do not look alike then how can we begin to judge?

I have discus book and on one page there are three pics of a blue discus and each one looks totally different

Iam starting to have the mind set of as long as I like it and it looks cool i really do not care what it is called it just really got confusing to me is all.
    So Many Discus, Not Enough Tanks!

I THINK people play around with their discus genetics and ended up with some nice, ugly, ok.etc looking discus, some carry different traits, but if you were to breed them, they should give you that strain because they hold that gene. There are many names flowing within the discus market, fancy names, exotic names, dull names, old school names, you'll name it haha.

Also, one may cross X with Y and decide to name all the offspring after X, but those X discus have the characteristics of Y, hence it does not fully look like X.

Just my vague example haha
    【DiscusKev (Kevin) says:】
    Check out my Youtube videos
    Like my videos? 'SUBSCRIBE' ➜ www.YouTube.com/DiscusKev

Registered Member Discus master's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusKev View Post
    I THINK people play around with their discus genetics and ended up with some nice, ugly, ok.etc looking discus, some carry different traits, but if you were to breed them, they should give you that strain because they hold that gene. There are many names flowing within the discus market, fancy names, exotic names, dull names, old school names, you'll name it haha.

Also, one may cross X with Y and decide to name all the offspring after X, but those X discus have the characteristics of Y, hence it does not fully look like X.

Just my vague example haha
    I think I understand what you are saying, not sure if I gave you my source as of yet but I got them from a breeder near Baltimore MD called gwynbrooks farms you can check out their site if you wish, i may o back on see if I can find pictures with names to see if I can match mine up again against that, hopefully the site has been up dated, thanks for all the hlp if there are any more thoughts on what i have please go ahead and take a stab but I would like to thnk everyone who has helped me out thus far thanks all who has responded so far
    So Many Discus, Not Enough Tanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12