ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: For those ray lovers out there Jaguar ray gave birth to pup over the weekend

Default Re: For those ray lovers out there Jaguar ray gave birth to pup over the weekend

OMG I want one... I have always wanted a ray..That is awesome.. Thanks for sharing... My wife is going to hate me if I setup another tank and we only have two...

Please keep us updated on how things progress..

Default Re: For those ray lovers out there Jaguar ray gave birth to pup over the weekend

Here is a updated pic of the baby jaguar ray. He is around 5" now and is full of energy.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    My wife names my fish

Ed,

Do you keep your rays all by themselves? What is a minimum size tank that they need to be in and with what types of other fish do you keep them with?

I really do want one..

--Nick--

Registered Member

Somehow I missed this

Congratulations... now the chalenge is to keep them breeding

IME the babies are not at risk from the parents (dont know about other rays, though I did have 2 groups of parents & pups in the same tank without problems).... well the problem was feeding enough and keeping the water clean enough

more pics please

Quote Originally Posted by spyder329 View Post
    Ed,

Do you keep your rays all by themselves? What is a minimum size tank that they need to be in and with what types of other fish do you keep them with?

I really do want one..

--Nick--
    Between my brother and I we have 10 rays. 1 in a 120 gallon tank, 3 in a 8' x 2' x 2' pond, and 6 in a 220 gallon tank. Depends of type of ray you get and the size it will grow but I wouldn't go with anything smaller then a 125. And that would be for 1 maybe 2 rays max. They require a lot of water and room to swim. And for the type of fish to keep with them will be anything they can't fit in there mouth and eat. Don't expect to be putting tetras in there unless you want to wake up the next morning and find a empty tank.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeos View Post
    Somehow I missed this

Congratulations... now the chalenge is to keep them breeding

IME the babies are not at risk from the parents (dont know about other rays, though I did have 2 groups of parents & pups in the same tank without problems).... well the problem was feeding enough and keeping the water clean enough

more pics please
    We were not really trying to breed these it just happened. But now that it has happened we are hoping for more pups.
    My wife names my fish

that is pretty cool!! i wasn't really aware of freshwater rays..
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Quote Originally Posted by warlock4169 View Post
    that is pretty cool!! i wasn't really aware of freshwater rays..
    That is because there is not a lot of information out there about them.
    My wife names my fish

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12