AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Calcium Chloride dosage?

Registered Member roundfishross's Avatar

Default Re: Calcium Chloride dosage?

i never have residue with c.chloride but I always add it to the aging barrell when filling then age with a water pump so it all dissolves completly no residue. also I never use driveway salt all the brands I could find around this area are not just c.chloride they are a blend the stuff I use comes from ace hardware in a 50lb bag its pure c. chloride
    Last edited by roundfishross; 01-16-2011 at 08:23 PM.

I wish I knew how to post a link..I have asked a question in the past about this very topic of this thread..

seems as though I remember that

I remember the thread but I cannot post the link..Computer incompentance on my part..I bought some driveway melter and there is a residue left over that would not dissolve..Kent discus essentials has a few ingredients in it,,i would of only think a couple more ingredients would be better overall..I have had great results in using it..
    Quote Originally Posted by roundfishross View Post
    seems as though I remember that

I remember Eddie uses something different..Please do not quote me ,but I think it is a salt water hobbiest aditive..

Registered Member

i never have residue with c.chloride but I always add it to the aging barrell when filling then age with a water pump so it all dissolves completly no residue. also I never use driveway salt all the brands I could find around this area are not just c.chloride they are a blend the stuff I use comes from ace hardware in a 50lb bag its pure c. chloride
    I do the same with adding it too the aging barrel and the pump dissolved it all, i added a small amount as an experiment last night and added new water today and all seem well i managed to purchase 500g for £1.09 which i though was reasonable but probably be cheaper in bulk obvi and it is also 100% c.chloride

Prestones "Driveway Heat" is 100% Calcium Chloride, but you do have to be careful when using other brands. There are many out there that have magnessium sulphate and sodium chloride in the mix, among other things. Magnesium sulphate is the other ingredient I add with calcium chloride, but I have no idea how much is in the other brands, or what else may be in them, so I use brands with only 100% calcium chloride to be safe and consistant. I've never had any residue left in the aging barrel using it either.
    At $8 for 10lbs, or even less if you buy a 40lb bag, you can't go wrong on the price.
    Kacey

way down here in the south its hard to find any brand of ice melt its just never used, I never could find driveway heat. all the bags of it in the store looked to be 10 years old or better

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by kaceyo View Post
    Prestones "Driveway Heat" is 100% Calcium Chloride, but you do have to be careful when using other brands. There are many out there that have magnessium sulphate and sodium chloride in the mix, among other things. Magnesium sulphate is the other ingredient I add with calcium chloride, but I have no idea how much is in the other brands, or what else may be in them, so I use brands with only 100% calcium chloride to be safe and consistant. I've never had any residue left in the aging barrel using it either.
    At $8 for 10lbs, or even less if you buy a 40lb bag, you can't go wrong on the price.
    That is alot better price than what im paying i may have to invest

way down here in the south its hard to find any brand of ice melt its just never used, I never could find driveway heat. all the bags of it in the store looked to be 10 years old or better
    You can buy calcium chloride from most chemical supply stores pretty cheap. It's used for alot of different things.
    Kacey

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12