AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: anti bacterial, anti parasite food

Registered Member

Default anti bacterial, anti parasite food

ordered some of this from foster smith-and was wondering if i could mix it up in eddies seafood mix.

Registered Member roundfishross's Avatar

Default Re: anti bacterial, anti parasite food

imo the angels pluss flake is a better product(more effective) and the fish will readilly accept it.

Registered Member

the food is jungle type-never used it before, just looking for a preventive i guess. the fish love eddies mix...if they could
    they would probably get in the freezer to help themselves when they get hungry...but would probably forget to shut the door...
    just wondering if i can crush the pellets together and mix it up with the seafood mix...
    anti bacterial says feed exclusively for 5-10 days.
    anti parasite says feed exclusively for 3 consective days a week for 4 weeks.
    anti bacterial contains sodium sulfathiazole and nitrofurazone...anti parasite contains metronidazole and praziquantel...
    not for use with desirable invertebrates...

I just bought that too just for a back up if I need it.

I would strongly discourage using antibiotics as a preventative...save it for when you need it or it won't work when you do...I'd also be concerned with the anti-parasitic as well...That term "anti-parasitic" can mean many things...In this case metronidazole and praziquantel....both of which are working less when we need them.

I'll go out on a tangent here and just say that I think theres alot of drug resistant strains of pathogens now and its a real problem..I feel that feeding foods laced with these meds at such low doses increases the chance of a resistant strain developing.... I have no proof of that. Just an opinion. It seems natural that when a low dose of medication(poison) is present, more pathogens tolerate it and pass that resistance on to the future generations.... Every pathogen has its own sensitivities to a medicine...and you never really what that is...

If you do feed a medicated food...do not cut that concentration by mixing it with other foods....and don't feed other foods at the same time unless the manufacturer says to ( rare)... also feed for as long as prescribed and as prescribed.

Hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    I would strongly discourage using antibiotics as a preventative...save it for when you need it or it won't work when you do...I'd also be concerned with the anti-parasitic as well...That term "anti-parasitic" can mean many things...In this case metronidazole and praziquantel....both of which are working less when we need them.

I'll go out on a tangent here and just say that I think theres alot of drug resistant strains of pathogens now and its a real problem..I feel that feeding foods laced with these meds at such low doses increases the chance of a resistant strain developing.... I have no proof of that. Just an opinion. It seems natural that when a low dose of medication(poison) is present, more pathogens tolerate it and pass that resistance on to the future generations.... Every pathogen has its own sensitivities to a medicine...and you never really what that is...

If you do feed a medicated food...do not cut that concentration by mixing it with other foods....and don't feed other foods at the same time unless the manufacturer says to ( rare)... also feed for as long as prescribed and as prescribed.

Hth,
    al

Ditto!
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member

thx for the info.