ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: You get what you pay for

Registered Member

Default Re: You get what you pay for

An atempt to feed the discusion (-;

The tittle is, "you get what you pay for". I wonder if thats entirely the case. I'm impressed by the low priced discus from John. I wonder what the diference is between a 5 1/2 inch semi royal blue Nhamunda from John compared to a 5 1/2 inch semi Royal blue Nhamunda from Hans? Is there a price diference and if so, how large is the gap. Is there a significant diference between the qualety and if so would it be worth the extra money or will enough time equals out the diference. At the same time I'm impressed by the qualety of the wilds from Hans but I'm also impressed by the high price.

Registered Member

This was not the intent of this thread. I just wanted to post on my personal experiences and impressions as I have fish from both. As I said, in the short term, in my opinion, you do get what you pay for and fish from both vendors are beautiful. I hope this thread is closed before more opinions - not based on experience with said vendors - further pollutes the waters....

Real Name
    Discus Hans

Quote Originally Posted by captainandy View Post
    I hope this thread is closed before more opinions - not based on experience with said vendors - further pollutes the waters....
    I hope it stays open at least till tonight, I will post here something but don't have the time at the moment, get back on this.

Hans
    I've changed the Discus World.
    Visit our online store at: www.discusfishstore.com
    All advice I give, is because I've good results with it, you're free to copy it. It's not a rule, it's just my way. Ohhhh and don't take me serious, I'm most of the time kidding

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch dude View Post
    I wonder what the diference is between a 5 1/2 inch semi royal blue Nhamunda from John compared to a 5 1/2 inch semi Royal blue Nhamunda from Hans? Is there a price diference and if so, how large is the gap.
    Didn't look for pics of the blues, but here's some of the Nhamunda Reds:

Hans - "Nhamunda Special Red XLG", $250
    nhamundaspecialreddiscusxlgsize06_box.jpg

John - "Nhamunda Red Large", $60
    Pat's fish
    P1060025.jpg

Joey's fish
    IMG_004.JPG

The only difference I can see is that Hans fish have a few more striations. Fish from both vendors are beautiful, and you can't go wrong with either. Which you choose is entirely up to you. I wouldn't call one 'lower quality' compared to the other though.

Well, if you are posting pics, you should take a look at Discus-n00b's reds from Hans. Absolutely stunning.

Yun-

- 265G Wild Discus Community
    - 90G African Cichlids
    - 56G Reef
    - 20G, 20G, 29G Community
    - 20G, 26G, 36G empty

Jose, Hans' are pretty clearly larger too. But fish grow.

I've seen the term Ferrari tossed around a few times. As a car guy, I get that... but I'd say we're talking about a comparison between BMWs and Ferraris, not a discount used Honda and a Ferrari. Sure the Ferrari is awesome... but not everyone can afford one. And it's not like the BMW is some crappy consolation prize.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave B View Post
    Jose, Hans' are pretty clearly larger too. But fish grow.

I've seen the term Ferrari tossed around a few times. As a car guy, I get that... but I'd say we're talking about a comparison between BMWs and Ferraris, not a discount used Honda and a Ferrari. Sure the Ferrari is awesome... but not everyone can afford one. And it's not like the BMW is some crappy consolation prize.
    Nice comparison

And yes, size is clearly different. But like I said, there's no reason to call one lower quality when dealing with the same geographical variant (the discount used Honda ). If the size is worth the extra price tag, by all means...

Look Everyone... This is getting old fast for me.... If people cant take a hint from me deleting posts and making crystal Clear Statements as to not wanting to see threads comparing sponsors and their prices on this forum, Then theres going to be some seriously unhappy members when they try to log in...Enough is enough.

If people are happy with a sponsor post it in their section. IF you have questions on their prices, give them the opportunity to discuss that with you in private. If you want to be influenced in your decisions by the ignorance of others...PM them to get that valuable insight. I have been very lenient with commercial posts in this section and other sections. If this continues, Iĺl have to really reconsider how I handle wilds and their marketing on this site. This section should not be an extension of the vendors sponsor board. It should be about the fish and Habitat predominantly. Iḿ not liking what I am seeing.

I donīt expect to see people comparing the prices of one domestic seller here on SimplyDiscus vs another in public discussions, and I sure as heck am not going to allow it with sponsors of wild livestock and prices.

I understand the intense interest in Wilds, but wilds fish and sellers of wild discus are no different than our domestic vendors and their fish. Please use the same manners, respect, and intelligence when discussing sponsors selling wilds and their prices as you do for sponsors selling other things here.

I have asked the Moderators to delete all future posts of this nature.. Complaints can be directed to me..but be advised.. you wonīt like my reply on this one.

Iĺl add one more note...People really need to get back to the basics with wilds and to get a life... I see alot of hype about quality and talk about prices, but no real understanding of the wilds Source and Market.. I set up several threads in this section called Tech notes....If someone really is interested in learning and sharing their info on wilds...Iīd like to see it demonstrated there please.

Thank you,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>Want a great forum? Participate in it and make one.. it doesnt happen on its own.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12