ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Sterilizing a Emperor 400

Default Sterilizing a Emperor 400

A few years ago I loaned two Emperor 400’s and a 90 gallon tank to a friend of mine that wanted to give tropical fish a try. After two years he has lost interest and returned my equipment in a very dirty condition. I am currently setting up this 90 gallon as a grow out tank and wanted some advice regarding the best method to sterilize the tank and two Emperor Filters. The filters are about 3 years old and are still working well, however they are extremely dirty including both Bio wheels. I took one of the filters apart and soaked the parts in a bucket of water with a modest amount of bleach and the built up scale and dirt really started to come of fairly well. Could anyone give me some input / advice as to whether I should just kill the idea of trying to clean the filters, and just go out and get new ones? My concern is not being able to totally sterilize them and then exposing my Discus to possible infections/ disease.

Thanks

Crockett

Default Re: Sterilizing a Emperor 400

Quote Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
    A few years ago I loaned two Emperor 400’s and a 90 gallon tank to a friend of mine that wanted to give tropical fish a try. After two years he has lost interest and returned my equipment in a very dirty condition. I am currently setting up this 90 gallon as a grow out tank and wanted some advice regarding the best method to sterilize the tank and two Emperor Filters. The filters are about 3 years old and are still working well, however they are extremely dirty including both Bio wheels. I took one of the filters apart and soaked the parts in a bucket of water with a modest amount of bleach and the built up scale and dirt really started to come of fairly well. Could anyone give me some input / advice as to whether I should just kill the idea of trying to clean the filters, and just go out and get new ones? My concern is not being able to totally sterilize them and then exposing my Discus to possible infections/ disease.

Thanks

Crockett
    Run the filters on a small tank filled with water and bleach. Ditch the wheels, you can get replacements for cheap. Make sure you scrub all the parts very well, to include the inlet tube. Get one of those flexible wire brushes.
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

I fired up some 15 year old Penguins recently, and as mentioned, after a good scrubbing, they're doing fine....( a little tough finding new impellors since the models are older)...a little bleach goes a long way....if they're functional, keep 'em in service....Gary
    The meek shall inherit the earth. The oceans are for the brave.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Run the filters on a small tank filled with water and bleach. Ditch the wheels, you can get replacements for cheap. Make sure you scrub all the parts very well, to include the inlet tube. Get one of those flexible wire brushes.
    Eddie thanks for the advice, I have a small tank and I will run them on that after I clean them with a wire brush. Is there any raito of bleach to water that I should be going by.

Crockett

Quote Originally Posted by TURQ64 View Post
    I fired up some 15 year old Penguins recently, and as mentioned, after a good scrubbing, they're doing fine....( a little tough finding new impellors since the models are older)...a little bleach goes a long way....if they're functional, keep 'em in service....Gary
    Gary I agree with you on that, as they are both functional, I just could n't beleive how dirty they were when returned to me, I almost trashed them but noticed after I soaked some parts that they actually started to come around.

Crockett