ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is this worms, or her intestinal lining being shed?

Here's the thing, metro treatments don't need to go longer than 5-7 days. Also, fish do not always start eating during treatment, can be days after. Sometimes longer.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member

Default Re: Is this worms, or her intestinal lining being shed?

My experience was the fish will go off food while on the metro, The idea behind raising the temp. is one to weaken the parasite and two, the medicine is a human medicine and our body temp is at least 96. You can decide on the temp thing , discus can take it but you need to research if the the other organisms in your tank can. Epsom salts are good to do before you start the metro, it will flush out the intestines. Just my experience (had a bad one with live blackworms). I also would dose in the morning and 10 hours later, then a water change in the morning, keep the lights off also. I agree if the metro is going to work 5-7 days is plenty if it is going to work. Not a doctor, just a guy with a bad live blackworm problem and 500 gallons of water to be treated.

I think my fish became sick as a result of feeding live blackworms as well.
    I'll take her off the metro today, do you suggest I also lower the temp back to 86?
    Could the higher temp also be putting her off her food?
    I also had thought of putting one of the health fish in with her once I stopped the meds, do you think that might stimulate her to eat?

I woudn't add any other fish to the mix...Treat the fish that need treating, and let the other's be....I'd first concentrate on a cure, then deal with the eating issues...
    The meek shall inherit the earth. The oceans are for the brave.

Many times metro and higher temps will get the fish eating again if flagellates are the cause.
    When I cannot see anything scoping and decide to treat with metro I treat 1/4 tsp per 20 2x a day with min 50% wc at each dose, smaller tanks 100%. I up the temps to about 87+. If I see them getting better after 3 days I continue treatment for 7+ days, if no improvement I go no longer than 5 days. I then treat for worms or bacteria.
    I have tried many other metro doses, temps etc and x per day and this is what almost always works for me. Epsom salt has never done anything for me....yet.
    I would also not blame blackworms, IMO almost everyone who has discus usually runs into white feces problems and very few feed live blackworms.

Registered Member

I would keep the fish at the higher temp-- metabolism speeds up, fish gets hungrier, more likely to eat.
    1250 bb pot-planted: twelve discus (six my babies), cardinal tetras, sidthimunki loaches, angelfish. 35 gallon hex tank: hospital
    40gallon grow out tank: snakeskin juvies

I think my fish became sick as a result of feeding live blackworms as well. Its possible, more times than most you'll find folks posting in this section who are feeding them.
    I'll take her off the metro today, do you suggest I also lower the temp back to 86? Thats fine, you can lower the temp. The fish may have some permanent kidney damage from the over exposure to metro. Time will tell.
    Could the higher temp also be putting her off her food? No, generally it will increase appetite.
    I also had thought of putting one of the health fish in with her once I stopped the meds, do you think that might stimulate her to eat? Probably won't make a difference.
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12