AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: illumnae's 240gal S.A. biotope with Blue discus :)

Default Re: illumnae's 240gal S.A. biotope with Blue discus :)

Well, you can go with the HK 240's. Those will be at the same flow rate as the lowest settings on the MP10es. But at a fraction of the price (you can buy 10 of those, at least over here, for one Vortech). Not that I'm advocating that the HK's are better, but if you're after more flexible flow, more powerheads will give you that, in as many places as you want, while the Vortech will give you flow from one spot. I mean, I want a Vortech for my pleco tank, as I have a Sureflow mod on a MJ400 right now, as the Vortech will give me more flow, but the MJ with tthe mod gives me 1200 GPH for around $40 and I can't really complain about that.

Registered Member damian_ireland's Avatar

any update on this tank ?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    YX

Unfortunately the Uaru fernandezyepezi turned out much more aggressive than research previously led me to believe. Various articles I've come across (including PFK) said that the Uaru would be ok with discus. However, I found that the Uaru were refusing to let the discus eat, making the discus stressed and hungry.

I have since removed the discus from the tank to another tank, and will be converting this to a Rio Orinico/Atabapo tank with Crenicichla johanna, Uaru fernandezyepezi, Satanoperca mapiritensis and Pterophyllum altum instead.

Extremely regretful since I love discus, but I'm not willing to get rid of the very rare Uaru fernandezyepezi

On a side note, Heiko Bleher came to my house to see my tanks when he was in Singapore for Aquarama and he confirmed my discus as being from the Alenquer region.

Very NICE assortment of fish as well as the bio t >>> My first tank were red belly pikes and south american cichlids. I really like the combo... is that a geo in the corner of the picture...??
    Last edited by treker5; 07-01-2011 at 06:21 AM. Reason: didn't see the full pic

Registered Member damian_ireland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by treker5 View Post
    Very NICE assortment of fish as well as the bio t >>> My first tank were red belly pikes and south american cichlids. I really like the combo... is that a geo in the corner of the picture...??
    His stocklist is on the first page. "7 x Geophagus sp. "Tapajos Orange Head/Red Head Tapajos""

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12