AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: bringing fish to Canada

Registered Member

Default bringing fish to Canada

Hi everybody! I'm going to Argentina next May to visit my family and I thought I could bring some discus from an amazing breeder who lives there as well as some local killifish (cynolebias).

Does anybody know which procedure to do in order not to have trouble with Customs in both USA and Canada?

Thanks,

Fernando ;D

Default Re:bringing fish to Canada

What I would do is contact customs canada and ask to get the details! Maybe get something in writing also would not be a bad idea!

Registered Member

I would have to agree with ferfra,get it in writting! I asked Canada Customs at YYZ (Toronto airport ,were I happen to work) just last week as I was thinking of going down to Great Lakes Discus and grabbing a few. At first they wanted to know what was a Discus then directed me to the Agriculture agent who says it would not be a problem as long as the fish was not on some endagered species list.

Now even with that being said,the agent also admitted that live fish really didn't fall under her job function specifically,but couldn't tell me who it "really"did. Got to love Government agencies! 8)

Now the senerio I gave them was myself driving to Michigan and back not flying from South America. That should not make a difference but I can't be sure.

Geordie B

Registered Member

Why Drive down .I understand Great lakes discus will ship to you no problem
    Fisheyes( :-X)
    Ps
    I think it might come under fish and wildlife

Registered Member

Well we only live about 3 or maybe 3.5 hours from GLD and then we can pick out the fish we want and it's always good to go and see all the fish you can't bring home Gives you something more to want/druel over

We ( my wife and I ) call them "little field-trips" whenever we go hunting Discus. We are planning a possible one to Below Water in Montreal to see what Oliver has up there. We like it because it gives us a chance to meet other "Discus Folks" and pick up tips and ideas as we are rather new at keeping Discus.
    Have had the chance to meet a couple "Discus folks" that way so far. ( Hi Jimmy, Hi Chris )

Oh did I mention it saves on shipping? Not that I'm cheap but....................well o.k. maybe a little cheap! LOL HA HA! ;D

no idea about south america..but i got fish in from australia and no problems. you need an invoice with the latin name on it. symphsyodon. you go to customs pay your gst and pst. and off you go.
    some countries need a health certificate. so id check first. what the requirements for there are.
    Geordie . sounds great.
    wish i could go in person and pick out fish from Cary. waaaaaaaaaaaaa. im a tad far away. no hatcheries near me.