ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Discus in community tank

Registered Member

Default Discus in community tank

Hey everyone, newbie here.

I've been keeping a couple community tanks for a while now and everything is going great. I have a 48g tank that contains a few Rainbows, some Cories, and a single 2.5" Angel. It is a moderately planted tank.

I would love to add a Discus or two to this tank, but I'm not sure if I should or not... that's why I'm here.

I don't mind bringing the temperature up to 78 degrees or so, but I don't want to bring it up over 80. I don't mind doing water changes but I can't really do more than 10% daily, and I usually do 10% every four or five days. My water perameters are as follows:

pH - 7.2
    gH - 4 degrees
    kH - 5 degrees

Ammonia and nitrite levels are non-existent. Nitrate doesn't seem to rise much more than 30 or 40 ppm by the time I do my routine for a water change. The tank has adequate filtration (AC 500) and the water is crystal clear.

So, do you think adding a Discus or two to this tank would be alright? I am by no means into breeding the fish or keeping show quality Discus, I just like to relax and watch the fish and I think Discus are beautiful. Growth rate is not a concern to me, I'd probably start out with 3 - 4" fish anyway.

Thanks for any replies.

Registered Member

Default Re:Discus in community tank

anybody?

I've never had success keeping them in community tanks,they always seemed too get sick after a weeks, mostly parasitic... but u just might be able to keep them if u keep ur tank quite clean and quarantine all the fishes that go into that tank.
    Best of luck

I'm keeping 12 discus with 4 cory and rummies and cardinals....about 15 of each....in a 155....I'm running a wet/dry with 8 gallons of bioballs and foam pads. I do biweekly 30% changes and things have been good. My nitrates seem to be between 10-20...
    I would recommend you get adults as they are hardier, and require fewer feedings.....

Registered Member

I think it is a discus tank but you put some tropical fish that can take the temp and are compatible... instead of running it as a truely community tank.

At the moment, 1 tank is juvenile discus (~1yr old) with tetra, bristle nose, cory cat, pleco. bb but with pot plant and floating plant.

another tank is bb, with some floating plant to grow out 2" discus for ~6month before moving them into the first tank.

It seems to be doing ok at the moment.