ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: [NEWBIE] New discus tank set up - 120g

Default Re: [NEWBIE] New discus tank set up - 120g

Thanks now if only that big piece would sink so i could finish arranging the driftwood!
    Michael
    Current tanks: 150g - Discus / Planted setting up...
    Old tanks: 180g - Discus / Planted, 180g - SPS Coral, 120g - Discus, 125g+120g SPS Coral, 125g Oscars

Rearranged the wood a bit, fits a bit better now I think. Still have the biomedia bags in there, but other than that it's done

Michael
    Old tanks: 180g - Discus / Planted, 180g - SPS Coral, 120g - Discus, 125g+120g SPS Coral, 125g Oscars

Registered Member strawberryblonde's Avatar

Ok, it is ALL your fault buster!

I had to rearrange my driftwood in my tank this morning in an attempt to reduce some of the aggression and while I was busy flipping things upside down I decided that I just HAD to go get my favorite new hunk of wood out of the jacuzzi and stuff it into my tank.

Soooooo, my gravel filled pantyhose are back in the tank. I did manage to partially hide it behind the other piece of driftwood, but golly, I just couldn't go another day with a barren tank.

Yup yup, ALL your fault! LOL
    Toni

120g - 10
    discus, 4 cory's, 50+ Cardinals for now... give it a month and it'll change!

Hehe. Yeah I'm not much for waiting around for wood to drown in a barrel! It can do it in the tank
    Michael

Hmm came out bit dark lol

Michael

So I think I have finally finished my system as far as hardware goes ... lol

So here is the rundown:
    120g display tank - 2 Koralia Evolution 1400 powerheads that run during the day and turn off for the night (same timer as one of the lights). Two sets of double T8 lights running something like 6500k bulbs. One runs from 8am to 10pm, second from 10am to 7pm, powerheads run on same timer and the first light. Aside from that there is a overflow box with two 1" drains that leads to the sump.

55g sump - Both drains go to the far end of the sump and empty out there, possibly still into a filter sock but I may get rid of it when I will receive poret on Wednesday. Next there will be a divider made out of poret foam. Two 2" sheets (45PPI) followed by one 4" sheet (30PPI). The main open chamber is filled with 1000+ bio balls and couple extra sponges, that are freely floating around. Right under them I have a number of large air stones bubbling through all the bio balls. One the sides of the sump there are three Aquaclears 110 loaded with just sponges splashing water on top of bio balls. This area also houses three koralia powerheads for extra water movement as well as two 300w heaters by hydor (86F). Sump also has a simple top off solution, keeping the water level in the sump constant. Finally on the opposite end to the overflow drains there is a Mag 7 pump sending water back up to the tank.

Clearly too much of everything lol, but on the other hand if I will need to set up a QT or medicine tank, I will always be able to pull one or two aquaclears off or grab a sponge that is floating around without any affect to my main system
    Michael

Looks terrific! Just as a precaution, when I put manzanita in my tank - I took a dremel tool and gently rounded off any sharp points on the wood. It doesn't take anything away from it's appearance but might keep an expensive discus from getting injured when being chased or darting wildly around the tank after being spooked. It's going to happen. I know someone is going to say - but in their natural environment there's all kinds of pointy sticks in the water - and that's true. My tank of 55 gallons isn't even close to a natural environment so I do what I can to protect them inside this tiny glass box. Just a suggestion.

Adam

Cool, thanks! That's a good idea. I will take a look at the branches today
    Michael

Well big log is somewhat waterlogged now. Seem to move fairly easy if pushed but at least it is staying at the bottom now
    Also white fuzzy stuff started growing on the wood and pleco is making a mess from it in water column >< Flakes floating everywhere hehe.

Video available in 1080p. Did couple of different angles this time !
    Michael

Hmm... eggs... all over the tank... =.= I am guessing it's from corys?
    Michael

Hey Michael, were did you get your driftwood from?
    Discus...tingly addicted to fish!

-Chris

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456