AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Lighting for 125 Gallon Planted Discus Tank

Registered Member retiredsailor's Avatar

Default Lighting for 125 Gallon Planted Discus Tank

I want to find a good lighting setup for my 125 gallon planted discus tank. Unfortunately price is an issue, however I think I could talk the wife into $200 easy. I've looked into the newer LED's and am interested by the cost, longevity, and temperature. But I don't have enough knowledge to figure out which are good and which aren't. I understand longer is more expensive and have seen instances where 2 smaller lighting systems would provide the same effect but cost less than a system of that complete size. I want the tank to look good and also allow the plants to grow. I'm really hoping some one with more knowledge than me could break it down and perhaps suggest some systems for me. Thanks for taking the time to read. (and p.s. i can't be talked out of a planted tank even though i know it will make life easier.)

Also, i will consider ebay, amazon, sponsors on here.... whatever it takes.

Ian Drennan
    Drums PA

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and Homesteader TNT77's Avatar

Default Re: Lighting for 125 Gallon Planted Discus Tank

Is this a 4ft or 6ft tank?
    Tara Bennett
    Phone: 815-876-0516

it is 6 feet long, by 18 inches wide, by 23 inches high.

I use 2 of these hanging over a 240 gal. 6' tank, and one over a 150 gal. 4'. Love em! No problems at all with plants. http://www.hellolights.com/70w-retrofitkithqi.aspx with these http://www.lightexports.com/servlet/...t-6500K/Detail
    Last edited by Darrell Ward; 01-01-2012 at 12:57 AM.
    Darrell

Registered Member

i would recommend getting 2 36" light fixtures. for the price and in my opinion better for plants go with T5's, MH, or PC's. leds cost too much. tho LEDS gives a nice shimmering effect if your tank has lots of current. also not only lights you need to worry about for growing plants. you also need good substrates thats meant for plants for better results if your going with no co2. or you can put plants in pots with soil in them.

i recently switched my 2 36" coralife 96watts to the marineland double leds cuz i no longer keep plants and found a good deal on them. and the shimmering effect makes it more natural. tho not as bright as my coralife light fixture but its bright enough.

darrell, is the retrofit easy to put together? and what is the shelf life of the bulbs? the price is about what I expected.
    nikond, i currently have a small tank, just 20 gallons with substrate of sand that has grown amazingly huge swords. I'm planning on transferring one to my wives' 45 gallon so it will have to more space to grow.
    thank you for your opinions and suggests. they are greatly appreciated.

ian

[QUOTE=retiredsailor;839330]darrell, is the retrofit easy to put together? and what is the shelf life of the bulbs? the price is about what I expected.
    nikond, i currently have a small tank, just 20 gallons with substrate of sand that has grown amazingly huge swords. I'm planning on transferring one to my wives' 45 gallon so it will have to more space to grow.
    thank you for your opinions and suggests. they are greatly appreciated.

Very easy to put together. Just run wire from the fixture to the ballast, ( I used "lamp cord" from Lowes, very cheap) attach the cord to ballast (included), snap in the bulb, slide the cover on the fixture, and plug it in. It only takes a few minutes. I chose to hang mine above the tank, but Pat (Second Hand Pat), uses hers directly on top of the top of her tank I believe. I think she also used 70 watt, 6700K bulbs on her tank, and said they were a little green colored at first. I have 6500K bulbs, and did not experience this. They looked very natural from day one. Shimmer is great, and very natural looking with MH. I suppose the self life could be forever on unused bulbs. I have a couple of spare bulbs that I haven't used yet, but the ones I'm using now have been running 12 hours a day for close to a year so far without a problem.
    Last edited by Darrell Ward; 01-01-2012 at 12:58 PM.
    Darrell