AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Sump build

Registered Member

Default Sump build

ok i have a sump i am buiulding, my problem is the quietone 2200 pump i got is too much water. so i need a smaller one. what brand is recommended? ill look up the flow chart from there.

in my area the quiet one isnt really popular so i dont know what that means for the pump. i know the parts will be harder to find if something breaks. so i want to find a reliable one. figured this is the best place to look. since the store is just going to sell me what they have.

Default Re: Sump build

Quote Originally Posted by down2earth View Post
    ok i have a sump i am buiulding, my problem is the quietone 2200 pump i got is too much water. so i need a smaller one. what brand is recommended? ill look up the flow chart from there.

in my area the quiet one isnt really popular so i dont know what that means for the pump. i know the parts will be harder to find if something breaks. so i want to find a reliable one. figured this is the best place to look. since the store is just going to sell me what they have.
    Well I guees I won't be much help then because I am using a quiet one pump in my sump so far I really like it and it does run very quiet.
    My wife names my fish

Registered Member

well i guess i will have to order a 1200 quiet one

I believe I am using the 1800 in my sump. I really like it
    My wife names my fish

Registered Member

ok if you have the 1800. what size pvc piping are you using ? my pump says 1". i did that and my tank drain wasnt draining fast enough. so i went to a 2" pipe size all over. so this will slow down the incoming water. it will also allow the tank to drain fast enough. but im not too sure if this will work since i have yet to put it together. i just got a 40 gal breeder size tank. i am using a reg 20 gallon as a sump. im building the stand my self so the sump will sit under it.

i also thought about making the water that is pumped back to the tank will have a flow through. so not all the water goes back to the tank. it will keep flowing through the pvc piping back to the sump. i will make it so the return line/ spray bar has holes small enough to let enough water back into the tank but still allowing the pressure of the water to run past this spray bar and go to a over flow and fall back into the sump. this falling water will go into the drainage or over flow box and return to the sump. this water going into the over flow box will help the over flow not lose suction if the power ever goes out.

also this is only 20 gallons at the max. so i plan to have a 300watt heater in the sump to heat this bad boy.

this tank is for either a breeding pair of discus or a trio of bristle nose plecos.

I reduced the 1" output to 3/4" PVC and ran that up into my tank. I have a 1000 gph overflow box that has two 1" return line back to the sump. I have a 30 gallon sump with two 300 watt heaters in it.
    My wife names my fish

I have a 75g with 10g sump, im running a quiet one 3000 with a ballvalve open 3/4 of the way. I kinda wish i would have build a 20g sump but i have such a large turnover rate i think it will work just fine, i havent gotten fish so idk how well it works yet. Oh and my overflow is an eshopps i think it was the 800 model, running 1" all around.
    Chris

A good way to lessen your flow is to insert a tee in the return line just above where the pump is plumbed in. With the new output (out the side of the tee, ie not inline), add a ball valve and turn it back down into your sump. Adjust the ball valve as necessary to get your desired flowrate. Putting a valve inline with the return line increases the pressure the pump has to work against, which isn't efficient.
    -Luke

65gal RR w/ 20 gal sump, 6 Curipera X's from Kenny!

Registered Member

i just ordered a 1200 eshopps over flow box. so this will take care of my problem. this will handle up to 300 gallons. so i think this is a good buy since i will be gettin a 250 gallon some time this year i hope.

Registered Member

here is an update on my progress with my DIY sump

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Chicago Discus's Avatar

Nice set up I use a eshopps overflow box on one off my 75 gallon grow out tanks it works the only thing I did was I installed a shut off valve on my return to regulate the flow. The sump is a DIY I use a plastic container that I cut a hole in the top so there is a flow also I use a sock to catch any left overs and I can't remember what they are called but the small floating plastic media and a air pump. It's the cleanest tank I have I will try ti send a photo of it when I get home.........Josie
    Chicago Discus

Website-- www.chicagodiscus.com
    Email---- chicagodiscus@att.net

Josie I would love to see a shot of your setup. I didnt get a chance to come back for some of your discus last week. Darn 125 is hard to clean by myself. Plus i want the sump running right before i add discus although i could put yours in my 55 growout. hmmmmmmm