AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: is the reason few folks use frozen

Registered Member

Default is the reason few folks use frozen

is the reason few folks use frozen food cost? or nutrition? i'm new to discus but have been doin fish for years. i feed mysis shrimp, blood worms, krill and am planning on adding frozen black worms to the mix. is my plan full of wholes as far as nutrition? can any one advise me if im not doing right by my fish? i know the perfect food doesn't exsist in one place which is why i use variety. i also read something here about water in the food not being so good for discus. thoughts?

Default Re: is the reason few folks use frozen

I've been using frozen blackworms since they were available.Brine shrimp and bloodworms lack in nutritional value,thats why thet're not used much here.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Bill.

im allergic to blood worms so i dont feed them but i feed frozen blk worms. blood worms are actually very nutritious just ur discus will get addicted to them and stop accepting other foods main reason for people not feeding them hth
    mike
    37gal comm
    55 discus growout
    75 african cics

Where do you get frozen Blackworms?

Lionel

From Dan. He's a sponsor here.
    Mama Bear

I think that you're mistaken in assuming that few people use them. You should start a pole.

IMO, Live is best, frozen next best, freeze dried third best and pellets or flake fourth best.

I don't know that I agree with Bill about the nutritional value of Brine and Mysiss shrimp. They're full of water. If the nutritional value is to reflect reality it must me done on a dry weight basis.
    Mama Bear

I guess I should have clarified,he was asking about frozen.Lately I have read that freeze dried bloodworms are right up there with blackworms,but as Mike said,alot of people are allergic.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Bill.

The nutritional value of both products are good. It's just that with flake and pellets the value is calculated on a dry weigt basis. They'd have to dry the other products to reach the same results. That's why freeze dried appears to be higher in value than frozen.

I have to say one thing in favor of the FCBWs. The flats are solid worms. So much so that you need to be careful not to overfeed. I used to feed an entire cubes. I learned fast to cut the cubes in quarters and scatter them about the tank. A big fine pair of Discus needs only 1/4 cube for a feeding.
    Mama Bear

I pre-cut mine and store in tupperware.1/4,1/2,and hole cubes.That way when I come home from work I just grab and go,or if I'm going to be late,I write with dry-erase on the tanks what gets what and my wife can just throw them in.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Bill.