AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Upside down cats and red tailed botia

Registered Member

Default Upside down cats and red tailed botia

I had both of these fish years ago. The Upside down catfish is Synodontis Nigriventis and the red tailed botia is Y. Modesta. Do they go with Discus? From what I read on the internet the cats may not like the higher water temps and the Botias may be too aggressive. I have read that the Botia should be kept in numbers 4-5-6 to cut down the aggressive tendencies but I know nothing about the usual quantities of the cats. Does anyone have any experience with either? I prefer people with actual experience vs. reading on the internet.

Registered Member

Default Re: Upside down cats and red tailed botia

It seems that no one on this site has any experience with Red Tail Botia. I just Googled "Red tail Botia for sale" and I saw some reviews of owners. From what I read they might be too nippy even in a 150g tank. I'll pass on them. I haven't checked upside down cats but does anyone have experience with any Synodontis species cats and Discus.

I had red tailed Botia's in with African Chiclids-- wouldn't put with my discus.

Nicole

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SOS Crew Texas
    Show Committee for NADA 2014 AUSTIN TX

Registered Member

Thanks Nicole. I did not have a good idea of what to do so that is what I read when I Googled Red Tail Botia for sale. In fact some of the posts stated they keep them with African Ciclids. I don't mind taking chances but RTB and Discus is a chance I will not take. I like the way the eyes and faces look on RTB, too bad for me.

Registered Member

Yesterday I was at a LFS in Elmhurst, Queens, formally Blue Gold Aquarium, an employee said he would not trust upside down cats with Discus because they might eat the Discus eyes. I am still looking for futher information.