ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Possible Challenger Contest Fish

Registered Member strawberryblonde's Avatar

Default Possible Challenger Contest Fish

I've been waffling about where to put this thread since I don't actually have contest fry in my hot little hands yet. I settled on putting the documentation here in my new home just cuz it makes it easier for me to find it and update it...and then to ask Al to move it to the contest thread in month should the plan actually work out the way we're hoping.

Most of you know Pat and her gorgeous wilds. Welp, she and I have been chatting for awhile now and I mentioned to her that I was out of luck in the breeding department for the contest. She mentioned that she had a pair on eggs yet again and graciously offered to send them to me if the batch was successful.

It wasn't. <insert much crying and wailing here>

A couple of days later she called me to tell me that the parents of her Batch B fry had just laid a BIG batch of eggs! I've had my fingers and toes crossed for what feels like weeks now, but was actually just days, and last night she sent me pics of Mom and Dad on the eggs, and a video of the free swimmers.

Mom and Dad - SO gorgeous!

This is Mom. Pat is a fabulous discus keeper and has brought out great color in this discus! Love the spots.

And here's Dad. I love his eyes and brilliant colors.

Next up is the video of Mom and Dad with the attached fry. Hard to see any fry, but then again, Mom and Dad are smart and hide from the camera. They don't want anyone seeing their babies. LOL

And that's it for now. They went free swimming yesterday 8-27-2012, so they are almost 24 hours old now. And I need to figure out how to make BBS! LOL
    Toni

120g - 10
    discus, 4 cory's, 50+ Cardinals for now... give it a month and it'll change!

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Possible Challenger Contest Fish

Toni, yes they are hard to see but when Dad turns and faces you can see the wigglers against the back wall looking down dad's flanks.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

You lucky lady.. and that's also very generous of you Pat. I am 4 days away from giving up on my dang nab pair.. I put all eggs in one basket and she went on vacation. GOOD LUCK!
    ~ Pete
    any advice I give is just that, advice. I say it because it's what works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Toni, yes they are hard to see but when Dad turns and faces you can see the wigglers against the back wall looking down dad's flanks.
    Oops, I forgot to mention the point where you can see the fry Pat, thanks for putting that on the thread! I watched the video 3 times last night with Tim and he was the one who pointed them out to me. =)
    Toni

120g - 10

Quote Originally Posted by dpete9 View Post
    You lucky lady.. and that's also very generous of you Pat. I am 4 days away from giving up on my dang nab pair.. I put all eggs in one basket and she went on vacation. GOOD LUCK!
    Awwwww, so sorry to hear that. I had wanted to use my pairs for the contest, but first they suffered a nasty bacterial infection 2 months ago when I lost power and water in the house for 24 hours, and they no sooner recovered from that when I accidentally cross contaminated my tanks during a WC and introduced them to the discus flu. They're only just looking healthy and ready to spawn again this week, so it's too late for them to get to free swimming stage before the contest deadline.

Tell your female to get off her butt and get busy! Better yet, tell the male to "get busy"...males seem to listen better than women when it comes to stuff like that. =)
    Toni

120g - 10

Homesteader Kingdom Come Discus's Avatar

Great news Toni!
    Kraig

Real Name
    Pat

Pete, hope she comes around for you.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberryblonde View Post
    Awwwww, so sorry to hear that. I had wanted to use my pairs for the contest, but first they suffered a nasty bacterial infection 2 months ago when I lost power and water in the house for 24 hours, and they no sooner recovered from that when I accidentally cross contaminated my tanks during a WC and introduced them to the discus flu. They're only just looking healthy and ready to spawn again this week, so it's too late for them to get to free swimming stage before the contest deadline.

Tell your female to get off her butt and get busy! Better yet, tell the male to "get busy"...males seem to listen better than women when it comes to stuff like that. =)
    Thanks Toni, At least I'll get to watch yours and all the other great contestants young'ns grow big!
    ~ Pete
    any advice I give is just that, advice. I say it because it's what works for me.

atta girl.. good luck
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Real Name
    Pat

Toni, we are no go on the F1 Tefe. Only 4 left. More later. Taking mom home.

Oh well, we tried Pat! Go take good care of your Mom and in the meantime I'm gonna go convert the fry tank to a breeding tank. Time for my FlachenSS to get busy. =)
    Toni

120g - 10

Real Name
    Pat

Sorry about the fry Toni. Mom is home but everything has to be supervised. Thank god for wheelchairs and walkers. It is going to be a long haul.