ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Spawning Question

Registered Member

Default Spawning Question

Hi Everyone. I’ve been lurking in this forum since the middle of last year and have learned a lot. I got up enough courage and started up a 55g tank, sand substrate, driftwood and artificial plants with an Eheim canister filter. I cycled the aquarium using 6 Red Serpae Tetras along with 2 Plecos which I still have in the tank. I order 5 awesome Discus from Kenny which arrived 3 weeks ago. They are thriving well and eat everything I give them – BW, FDBkW, and Tetra Color Bits.

Two days ago, I noticed some odd behavior between my Blue Turquoise and my Panang Eruption. After further investigation, it seems to me that they are mating. My water parameters are Temp=85, NH3=0, NO2=0, NO3=.5, TDS=10, KH=5, Ph=8.0. Correct me if I’m wrong but from what I have read, my water is too hard and my Ph too high for the eggs to get properly fertilized. My question is once they spawn, assuming they do, what will happen to the unfertilized eggs. Is there any problem leaving them in the tank or will they cause problems with the water or harm the other fish in any way.

Default Re: Spawning Question

Dont worry,someone will eat them.More then likely the parents.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Bill.

Real Name
    Brandon Trier

Default Spawning Question

My water is HARD and my ph doesn't even read on the API high ph test kit. Lol Like Bill said the eggs will get eaten and the problem will be solved for a week or two.
    -Brandon
    Discus.....The best cult I've been a part of!
    B's Bunker