ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Withdrawn - First attempt at breeding Discus - Log

Default Withdrawn - First attempt at breeding Discus - Log

That's awesome great job!
    Richard

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

Default Re: Withdrawn - First attempt at breeding Discus - Log

Vieira he did a great job of "he wanted to prove an alternative method can work and instead proved the traditional methods are best" Stole a quote from a friend of mine...LOL.

I will give him that keeping that many fish alive in such a small tank is amazing.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Vieira View Post
    That's awesome great job!
    Question....have you ever seen a large adult (7+ inch) fish in person that is of good quality? If you had then you wouldn't be saying he is doing a great job. I personally used to think my fish were great. Then I went to NADA and my opinion changed drastically.
    Stephen
    NADA AUSTIN 2014 SOS Crew Texas

I bought some Discus from somebody who breed discus in ten gallon thank with minimum water changes a while ago I was thrown back buy it when I saw with my own eyes. He had a dozen adult Discus in a 46 gal tank also. I forget who he was but I do know he was part of this form. He was trying to sell all his Discus do too health reasons.
    Richard

I can see the 12 in the 46 but a breeding pair in a 10 blows my mind. They would have to be small. I have had/seen pairs that would have simple been to large to spawn in such a small space.

-john

SOS Crew Texas

Stephen, you must've missed all of the fireworks on the previous page. You also might've not read from the beginning of this thread on through to now. Did Shawn ever mention that he was trying to raise high quality discus in low quality standards?

Now, what's awesome about this whole thing is that he's documented and shared all of this for all of us to learn. So please, before you post again, could you please read from the beginning and understand the intent of this thread?
    -Elliot

Quote Originally Posted by Cambik View Post
    Question....have you ever seen a large adult (7+ inch) fish in person that is of good quality? If you had then you wouldn't be saying he is doing a great job. I personally used to think my fish were great. Then I went to NADA and my opinion changed drastically.
    I know how much work it takes to get a 7 inch show discus it's a lot of work and care. But to simplify and just enjoy the hobby of fish keeping and breeding healthy fish he did great job. I don't think he is going to be entering his discus into NADA.
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by pastry View Post
    Stephen, you must've missed all of the fireworks on the previous page. You also might've not read from the beginning of this thread on through to now. Did Shawn ever mention that he was trying to raise high quality discus in low quality standards?

Now, what's awesome about this whole thing is that he's documented and shared all of this for all of us to learn. So please, before you post again, could you please read from the beginning and understand the intent of this thread?
    Now I had nothing to do with the Shawn debate I was responding to Vieira's post about those fish are great. Please look at the entire post before you drag me into that converstation. Thanks.
    Stephen
    NADA AUSTIN 2014 SOS Crew Texas

"you wouldn't be saying he is doing a great job"... wow, those words I'm sure wouldn't add fuel to a fire that was just stomped out. And did Vieira say those fish looked like NADA quality? Or did she mean that the experiment looked great?
    -Elliot

Quote Originally Posted by pastry View Post

He entered the fish in a contest, does that not qualify as an intent to showcase high quality discus? If he wanted to simply share his methos, why enter them in a contest?
    Honest question.

Rodrigo
    Rod Clement - SOS CREW NJ

Its all a matter of interpretation...that is what makes it so hard to have these discussions. When people post that he did a great job what does that mean? Is success defined by simply keeping the fish alive? Is success ending up with average quality fish? above average? below average? This is where things get so for off course. I don't think anyone meant to start a fire again. I think he was trying to point out that unless you have seen a really nice fish in person you really don't understand how big and nice discus can be.

-john

SOS Crew Texas

because these contests really don't award anything and actually help people keep logs so others can learn off of them. shoot, good point though Rodrigo, that's why I apologized to encouraging him to enter into the "contest" when he first started. that way it'd help motivate him to keep us posted. man, the poor guy looks at SD as a mental outlet, but then still catches flak constantly.
    -Elliot

crap, john, there we go again with the fast moving posts... my bad
    -Elliot

Once again it is open to interpretation....While there was some flak there were other comments that were taken incorrectly. Not throwing rocks again just saying that some of the stuff got blown out of proportion.

-john

SOS Crew Texas

Crap pastry now you just did it to me...LOL

-john

SOS Crew Texas

Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast