Thread: Not off to Japan/Off to Iraq

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Not off to Japan/Off to Iraq

Yea, with those camel spiders.

Eddie

I haven't been around much lately. You're off to Iraq? Please stay safe. Even though I haven't been here lately, I know how much you have helped everyone and how badly you will be missed.

That must be hard, giving up your discus. I will have to pop into your threads and check out what you've been up to while I've been away.

Edit: BTW, I'm so glad you're still safe after that earthquake. Terrible times lately in so many places
    Cheers
    Robyn

Real Name
    Mike

Eddie,
    When I was in Saudi Arabia, we would throw rocks at camel spiders...they were so fast and aware that they would dodge the rocks or catch them and throw them back at us, lol. Seriously, while walking across the street and confronting one, they would block your route on purpose and then chase you.

Quote Originally Posted by TankWatcher View Post
    Eddie

I haven't been around much lately. You're off to Iraq? Please stay safe. Even though I haven't been here lately, I know how much you have helped everyone and how badly you will be missed.

That must be hard, giving up your discus. I will have to pop into your threads and check out what you've been up to while I've been away.

Edit: BTW, I'm so glad you're still safe after that earthquake. Terrible times lately in so many places
    Thank you, I appreciate that. Hope all is well.

Quote Originally Posted by White Worm View Post
    Eddie,
    When I was in Saudi Arabia, we would throw rocks at camel spiders...they were so fast and aware that they would dodge the rocks or catch them and throw them back at us, lol. Seriously, while walking across the street and confronting one, they would block your route on purpose and then chase you.
    Its cool man, I've been back in the gym so the rocks might be a bit heavy for the spider to carry. LOL Besides, I hate running so I'll have to get them with the rocks or I'll be caught!
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Eddie, I thought it was drastic that you were going to Iraq in the first place, but the spiders is where I would have to draw the line. When I worked in a pet store through university many moons ago, the spiders were the one thing I would never go near. No food, no water - nothing. The evil little things could shrivel up and die before anyone could ever expect me to do anything for them. They are the one thing that can put the fear of God in me in an instant.

All that aside, I do commend you for what you are doing. It makes me stop and realize that I take for granted the freedoms and liberties I have because others like yourself have made sacrifices for me to have them. Thanks and keep safe. I'll keep you in my prayers.

Len

Quote Originally Posted by Len_S View Post
    Eddie, I thought it was drastic that you were going to Iraq in the first place, but the spiders is where I would have to draw the line. When I worked in a pet store through university many moons ago, the spiders were the one thing I would never go near. No food, no water - nothing. The evil little things could shrivel up and die before anyone could ever expect me to do anything for them. They are the one thing that can put the fear of God in me in an instant.

All that aside, I do commend you for what you are doing. It makes me stop and realize that I take for granted the freedoms and liberties I have because others like yourself have made sacrifices for me to have them. Thanks and keep safe. I'll keep you in my prayers.

Len
    Thanks Len! I know what you mean about spiders, they've always been my worst enemy.
    Visit Eddie's Place

All the best Eddie. I wish you can ship the fishes to one of the SD members who can take care and breed your fish and get it back to you when you want them in near future.
    Sameen

Do you know where in Iraq yet or can't say yet? It isn't so bad if you're in BIAP (aside from being away from fam/friends/life-in-general). All-you-can eat buffets, unlimited bottles of RO water, and 24-hour gym at least

I would go back in a heartbeat, of course, I probably wouldn't want to do a full 365-day.

Good luck with everything. At least you can go to Europe afterwards.
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Sameen View Post
    All the best Eddie. I wish you can ship the fishes to one of the SD members who can take care and breed your fish and get it back to you when you want them in near future.
    I wish too.

Quote Originally Posted by ericatdallas View Post
    Do you know where in Iraq yet or can't say yet? It isn't so bad if you're in BIAP (aside from being away from fam/friends/life-in-general). All-you-can eat buffets, unlimited bottles of RO water, and 24-hour gym at least

I would go back in a heartbeat, of course, I probably wouldn't want to do a full 365-day.

Good luck with everything. At least you can go to Europe afterwards.
    Nah, not sure yet but I couldn't say anyways. Anytime I was deployed to the desert in the past it was the same, all you can eat/drink, gym 24/7. Its not bad at all, actually looking forward to it.
    Visit Eddie's Place

u crack me up Eddie! (all u can eat) priorities
    Jennie,

Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Jennie View Post
    You know me, food is something I definitely don't miss out on! Lol

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    Visit Eddie's Place

Quote Originally Posted by Jennie View Post
    Hey, if you haven't been there, the food is no joke! Most people have two modes --- get really ripped from the 24/7 gym or really flabby from the food. My favorite is when the KBR subcontractors from India cook Indian dishes. They go all out for Thanksgiving and Christmas too.
    Eric

Yeah, loved the steak and lobster once a week! Ice cream sundaes after every meal. Last time I was there I spent the first months bulking up and then the last ripping up. This time I will be purely ripping up as I've bulked up plenty! Lol

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    Visit Eddie's Place

What about the omelet bar? That had to be my favorite. The only thing I hated was that the meat was always over-cooked on my base, but that was apparently my fault. I did a few surprise inspections and found their temps were 20-30 degrees off regulations. The contractors told me that they were so worried I was going to bust them for food temps (they wouldn't even cook -MY- eggs sunny side up...). Although there might have been some revenge in their decisions.

I went on a cruise and I swear the same guys were cooking my eggs that were cooking them in Iraq. I think it's actually the same set of subcontractors... the food taste almost the same. That either speaks volumes about deployed food or speaks very poorly of Carnival cruises :P
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by ericatdallas View Post
    What about the omelet bar? That had to be my favorite. The only thing I hated was that the meat was always over-cooked on my base, but that was apparently my fault. I did a few surprise inspections and found their temps were 20-30 degrees off regulations. The contractors told me that they were so worried I was going to bust them for food temps (they wouldn't even cook -MY- eggs sunny side up...). Although there might have been some revenge in their decisions.

I went on a cruise and I swear the same guys were cooking my eggs that were cooking them in Iraq. I think it's actually the same set of subcontractors... the food taste almost the same. That either speaks volumes about deployed food or speaks very poorly of Carnival cruises :P
    LOL, thats funny. Every morning I had a half dozen eggs over easy, oatmeal, banana and LOTS of coffee. Omelets were good too, but just not enough, I would always have to load hashbrowns and extra cheese on them.
    Visit Eddie's Place

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast