Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Growing out in planted tank... again :P

Real Name
    Shan

Default Re: Growing out in planted tank... again :P

Looking good man! Agreed with the neck hurt but nice fish
    Amateur discuskeeper, Professional doofus

Not done with this thread but I will say with the move to new house, taking on start up while still doing full time job... this group has not been successful as a whole.

That said, I AM making my situation so I can get better than ever with WC routine, WC quality, and more (but still with planted). I DO plan to grow a seperate group in BB... but also want to get those 3Rs to either pair up together or with other brown based (or the Heckle cross) in order to raise homegrown group (and continue the lineage of the last Forrest discus from Kenny... still can't get over it... beautiful story from fella who shared story about Kenny checking himself out of hospital to do his shipment... I NEED one of those 3Rs to multiply).I have my own garage now (MY own :P ... not shared with wife... she has the other garage) --- so I'll have several grow outside in garage during 9 months of year and move (if need be) those to interior for 3 months if need be... yet my garage has excellent heating and is insulated (sorry... I just can't believe we got lucky with new house... we NEVER HAD EVEN ONE GARAGE !!!)

Meanwhile, hate to say it, but probably giving my wife that PB (that Mac's Discus piece of.... sent me when it was supposed to be a RR... HUGE difference) ... along with the random generic, POS turqs he sent me... to my wife's classroom aquarium (where they'll probably die... I don't want them back.... but if someone wants PB, she's actually a really good female... I just don't like PBs)
    -Elliot

Real Name
    Shan

Quote Originally Posted by pastry View Post
    Not done with this thread but I will say with the move to new house, taking on start up while still doing full time job... this group has not been successful as a whole.

That said, I AM making my situation so I can get better than ever with WC routine, WC quality, and more (but still with planted). I DO plan to grow a seperate group in BB... but also want to get those 3Rs to either pair up together or with other brown based (or the Heckle cross) in order to raise homegrown group (and continue the lineage of the last Forrest discus from Kenny... still can't get over it... beautiful story from fella who shared story about Kenny checking himself out of hospital to do his shipment... I NEED one of those 3Rs to multiply).I have my own garage now (MY own :P ... not shared with wife... she has the other garage) --- so I'll have several grow outside in garage during 9 months of year and move (if need be) those to interior for 3 months if need be... yet my garage has excellent heating and is insulated (sorry... I just can't believe we got lucky with new house... we NEVER HAD EVEN ONE GARAGE !!!)

Meanwhile, hate to say it, but probably giving my wife that PB (that Mac's Discus piece of.... sent me when it was supposed to be a RR... HUGE difference) ... along with the random generic, POS turqs he sent me... to my wife's classroom aquarium (where they'll probably die... I don't want them back.... but if someone wants PB, she's actually a really good female... I just don't like PBs)
    Good luck with the 3Rs. Would be so touching if they did multiply. Do you have pictures of the PBs or turqs? I am in the market for some nice discus

Shan, I'll send pics brother. To be honest, decent-to-good shape on all 3 Turqs but PB is great shape yet only about 5.25" (she's still growing though... noticeably which is strange for me). PB is just plain light orange with VERY light peppering on extreme edges of shape (very light... but BBC I'm just not a PB dude... yet PB females have been the most consistent mothers in a dag-gone community tank ... when I don't care usually to raise little ones... yet those mothers have been ferocious).

My brother may head to our parents house soon in Newport News so if you want, I'll give them to you boss
    -Elliot

-Elliot

Real Name
    Shan

Wow! beautiful scape dude. And the stand looks so unique its gorgeous. Well done!!!

Thanks Shan!!!!! Trying to figure out the perfect hinges for those front doors. About ready to put them on. I can get my Sump in without having them off so I'm going to go ahead and start putting them on. Hopefully within a month I will have the sump going. Trying to balance fixing my outboard motor and continuing with all of the plumbing I have been doing on the big tank! Eventually I will have a flip up door on front of canopy so I don't need to use a stool to lift the top wooden access. The top of the tank (minus canopy) is about 6'3"-6'4". No more squatting! And I will add a little more sand when taking out big rocks on the right. They were there to sink some of the wood. I'll use various sized, but smaller, river stones to hold sand slope on right side once done.

Plants are starting to gain speed on growth. They'll fill it in more over the next 6-7 months (I'm low tech). Anubias has never grown as fast for me as it is now!
    -Elliot

Just wanted to see if new server helps me fix problem of posting pics sideways, upside down, and any way else but right side up! :P

20210405_021541.jpg

20210412_010006.jpg
    -Elliot

...nope... I still suck (lol)
    -Elliot

Real Name
    Jake

I find that it helps me to use a program such as Paint.NET to open the images on my computer to make sure that they are oriented correctly. If they are, I'll then typically resize the entire image to something manageable for forum software - typically forum software likes images in the 400x600 range, so that's what I target. Once I've done that and saved the image, I upload them to a site such as imgur, where I can get share links for BBCode Forums. That has never failed to post a picture the correct orientation for me. I think the issue is that, when using the 'Insert Image' button in the toolbar for the forum, if the image is too large it tries to downscale the image to make it fit better for more devices and ends up inserting it sideways.

With that said, only the migration part of the work has been done so far, according to Al. Several of these "images posting sideways" issues that I see could end up going away after Al has upgraded the forum software.

Jake, I'm TOTALLY looking into Paint.net. I live doing long duration threads over time to see how everything evolves and ever since I switched phones one time and then another time hoping it would fix the problem, I still have a hard time getting them the correct orientation when using my phone to post. And if I continue to use my phone then I find myself posting a lot more pictures. Even when I try the other people's methods like emailing them to myself using different email addresses and platforms, my lazy butt would still go into my email address with my phone, download them, cross my fingers, and realize that crossing my fingers has never work yet I still do it and of course the photo still post anything but right side up except for one or two here in there and I can't figure out any rhythm or rhyme. Size of blame technology hating me :P

I'm going to try that though. Check out my original grow out and planted tank thread sometime around 2012-13 I think. It was cool seeing several groups of discus evolve but also seeing different types of tetras also breeding and plants multiplying like crazy, Etc. I'm a sucker for pictures in thought Fox One like looking at it but I might have been the one that loved looking at it from both after several years of doing that single thread. I'm praying your suggestion works! I want to do that with your big group of girls come my way! I even had some pairs successfully spawn & raise little ones in my old thread. I figured out the key to having a good chance of that in a community tank is to have tons of crap (obstacles... DW... Plants, etc)... and pray for one pair that has crazy OCD parenting instincts ( several made it to adulthood, one that you can see in that thread, but I should have removed then around three weeks and put them in a bare bottom to do a better job of developing them.

All right, obviously I did not get to bed early like I was supposed to because I just got done netting out 3 discus I learned a trick on YouTube and it worked for the first two of which I got easily without stressing them with all the obstacles in the way and under 10 minutes... but the third one was like that magician Copperfield fell out and had to use my wife in flashlight to find him. After an hour and 20 minutes we finally found him!) go to my wifes classroom tank so that I can get the group closer to brown base Reds Plus 1 Heckel cross that I love. Unfortunately, I might move the two 3Rs I got last fall to a separate tank ( they just weren't as strong as others under my past crappy water changing routine yet I still what at least one of them to cross with a brown face red of another type).

Sorry if any typos but I am dead tired and signing off for the night!
    -Elliot

So... I killed 3 of the best discus I never had (re: thread by Jake finding new home for 4 enormous 3R intermediates from our beloved, late distributor and friend, Kenny). I learn the hard way often & don't mind... but I mind this one... I knew I should've paid for the faster shipping and because I took a risk to save a buck, only 1 made it.

I'm not closing this thread... to me, the failures (especially of the worst kind) is as valuable or of more value than sharing the success stories.

I intend on breeding that remaining discus (if female as Jake suspects although it's 1/8" shy of 7"... and I think he's right... BIG girl)... with a male RR I got from Forrest & Kenny last year. I will not take them out of the show tank (not initially) and if fry make it to free swimming then I'm taking them out after 2 weeks. If too much egg eating then putting pair in their own tank. Regardless, I cannot make up for being a cheap ******* who killed 3 amazing fish from (IMO) the best distributor (and I love all sponsors here... but connected with Kenny)... but I can at least make myself happy by keeping those lines going (sure, I'll share... but I'll screw up multiple times before having any breakthroughs on success).
    Last edited by pastry; 04-19-2021 at 12:05 AM.
    -Elliot

20210419_004722.jpg
    Hard to see new discus from Jake, but although my big RR danced for it like crazy upon introduction... it seems to be making a connection with Heckle cross (and I didn't worry about a connection... I just wanted it to live).

Meanwhile, the RR is now on the side of the tank with a 3R (a puny 3R ... puny because of purchasing before moving to new house and having WCs suffer more than my normal/past WC regime). Very cool seeing dynamics change after removing several from the group... never would have thought

20210419_004745.jpg
    -Elliot

-Elliot

Real Name
    Shan

Looks like a playground for the discus in there

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast