AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 30 of 34 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you like FISHING!

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Default Re: Do you like FISHING!

Quote Originally Posted by matt2426 View Post
    Yes I acually did catch this fish with the exact same bait as last year the topper stopper was up in Canada for two weeks. fishing was very slow because it was so hot up there for the most part. but paid off with this fish i caught. i caught her at the end of the trip but looks like you also had a nice trip thats a good looking shark you caught there how long did that take you to catch?
    Thanks Matt. Looks like your hours of casting paid off at the end.
    As i mentioned i caught this thresher shark using a Helco deep diving lure. These sharks actually use their long whippy tail like a marlin uses its bill, and thrashes it to stun its prey, in doing so it struck one of the treble hooks which lodged in the very tip of its tail. We chased it down backwards with the boat, but it still managed to pull drag. I estimated the fight to last about 40 minutes or so, but my heart stopped when i finally saw where it was hooked, and thought i was going to loose it for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    Good work Matt and Joe...it's a labor of love hey...nice thresher Joe...are they an edible of catch & release species? They lurk about in the southern Aussie waters don't they? Very cool looking shark. Well done mate!
    Thanks Dan.
    Thresher Shark along with Mako are probably the best eating of all the shark species. This one certainly did not go to waste and was shared out between my mates family, and a bunch of friends back at the marina. I would not have kept it just to take a picture, but was informed that it was good tucker, and i hadn't caught or tasted one ever, and made the decision to harvest it.

They do inhabit the cooler southern oceans of Australia but they had eluded me here...go figure i had to come to America to catch my first.
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Thanks Joe. That's what I call a crazy hook up mate. Thx for posting the pic so we could have a squiz at it. I'm surprised you subdued it in 40 minutes but I guess you can put a lot of pressure on a fish you're backing down onto. Good work mate! I thought I had heard they were good grub, so I'm glad you got to try it and divy it up at the dock. Good on ya Joe

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Thanks Joe. That's what I call a crazy hook up mate. Thx for posting the pic so we could have a squiz at it. I'm surprised you subdued it in 40 minutes but I guess you can put a lot of pressure on a fish you're backing down onto. Good work mate! I thought I had heard they were good grub, so I'm glad you got to try it and divy it up at the dock. Good on ya Joe
    Thanks Dan.

I may have mentioned that i am on a committee of a local fishing club, called the Northern Metro Sportfishing Club. We recently held an event to help kids get into fishing. We managed to get the governing body of fishing the 'Victorian Fisheries Authority' involved and stock the local lake with 1000 rainbow trout, to help make our event a success. We also managed to get a major tackle manufactures 'Jarvis Walker' to support the event by donating rod and real combos to give the kids participating in the 'Kids casting clinic' where we taught kids how to cast.
    We had over 80 members and friends attend, and over 70 little rainbow trout caught on the day, but for me seeing the smiles on the kids faces catching their first ever fish was priceless.

I arranged for the local paper to come out a few day prior to document the release of the trout so that the locals could also take advantage of the fishing in their local lake.

Leader.jpg1.jpg3.jpg6.jpg70134375_10217808541598091_4926562706690932736_n.jpg

With the weather starting to improve here, Ive also been encouraging my son to come out more on the boat, and he was rewarded for getting out of bed at 4:00am to go chase a gummy shark which he has never caught before, with this nice model.
    Nothing beats eating fresh flake that was caught that same very day.

71280214_489374481914393_8726322850442510336_n.jpg

Real Name
    Daniel

Awesome Joe. So great to give kiddos the opportunity to get into fishing! Good work mate.
    Nice gummy! Love those early mornings on the water and looks like a cracker day on the water as well.

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Awesome Joe. So great to give kiddos the opportunity to get into fishing! Good work mate.
    Nice gummy! Love those early mornings on the water and looks like a cracker day on the water as well.
    Thanks again Dan....My dad introduced me into fishing when i was a toddler, so seeing families getting out there and enjoying it was a real buzz...you can see what i mean from this little clip i put together of the event and also the trout release

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Anyone been out for a fish lately?

With the weather warming up, i have been taking the opportunity to do more fishing with my son Mathew.

Ive watched him enjoy the sport, and he really is a good angler. We spent the last two days on my boat, and i really enjoyed watching him catch a couple of good gummie sharks on really light gear, but the best thing is having him to myself on my boat without any outside distractions...Cant wait till he takes me fishing.

80682222_10157418398630266_4531124767100502016_n.jpg 79185146_10157416316390266_5977263216558866432_n.jpg 79850790_10157416316010266_4379466181933793280_n.jpg 80104896_10157418398245266_6697184522317856768_n.jpg 80189483_10157418398370266_9219473108493139968_n.jpg 80533448_10157416316315266_4750309025663418368_n.jpg

Real Name
    Daniel

Awesome Joe. Mathew looks stoked with the gummies. Nice flattie and brace of pinkies as well. Great to see you and Mathew on the water together!
    The weather here in the Mid West is not conducive to fishing right now but hasn't been cold enough for ice fishing. Its hunting season though and I have been out with my boys a couple of times so far. Both boys shot their first deer last season with my crossbow, both does, and are waiting patiently for a buck this year. I took a nice doe for meat for the freezer a few weeks back. Love catch and cook pastimes, and certainly miss the fishing in Australia. I'll be visiting my folks in Nth Straddie in March next year so the spanyids should be on!!
    Ake it easy mate! Danny

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Awesome Joe. Mathew looks stoked with the gummies. Nice flattie and brace of pinkies as well. Great to see you and Mathew on the water together!
    The weather here in the Mid West is not conducive to fishing right now but hasn't been cold enough for ice fishing. Its hunting season though and I have been out with my boys a couple of times so far. Both boys shot their first deer last season with my crossbow, both does, and are waiting patiently for a buck this year. I took a nice doe for meat for the freezer a few weeks back. Love catch and cook pastimes, and certainly miss the fishing in Australia. I'll be visiting my folks in Nth Straddie in March next year so the spanyids should be on!!
    Ake it easy mate! Danny

Cheers Dan
    Spanish mackerel would be one of my favorite fish to catch and eat fresh...Unfortunately we dont get them this far south. When im up at Carins we catch them and use them whole for grander marlin baits, but i always put a small one aside for a feed.
    Its great that you've introduced your kids to hunting and teaching them good morals. Hope they get that nice buck you're looking for.

Good luck!

About 6-7 weeks ago was a great weekend. Went to favorite little island two days in a row. Friends, sons, and my youngest dog. Literally can fish this island 360 degrees. Have to Anchor in a little creek and then walkthrough mud and weeds for about 20 yards hearing cooler, fishing rods, and whatever else. No one goes to it even though it's in plain sight because of sandbars in oyster beds that are hard to navigate. It's right on an inlet. Small little Island about 50 yards wide in 50 yards long. Our Little Slice of Heaven. We catch a lot of redfish there along with spotted trout, flounder, stingrays, different types of sharks, and more. Even though adults turn into little kids on this island.

20191220_170152.jpg

20191220_170056.jpg

20191220_165846.jpg

20191220_165801.jpg

20190921_130417.jpg

20190921_121119.jpg

IMG_2726.jpg

IMG_2714.jpg
    -Elliot

Real Name
    Bill G.

Had a great trip to the north woods WI in August. Got this 33lb er on my favorite lake which I love to fish at night. Luckily, the wife took care of the Discus and koi back home.

D44781B2-9F18-4AA8-BE88-CDC1413CA292.jpg
    6F67D90F-8897-4566-A4C2-802A000CD37E.jpg

Real Name
    Daniel

Awesome Elliot and Bill. Great to see pics of you blokes in the great outdoors having a blast!
    Thanks for sharing!!

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by pastry View Post
    About 6-7 weeks ago was a great weekend. Went to favorite little island two days in a row. Friends, sons, and my youngest dog. Literally can fish this island 360 degrees. Have to Anchor in a little creek and then walkthrough mud and weeds for about 20 yards hearing cooler, fishing rods, and whatever else. No one goes to it even though it's in plain sight because of sandbars in oyster beds that are hard to navigate. It's right on an inlet. Small little Island about 50 yards wide in 50 yards long. Our Little Slice of Heaven. We catch a lot of redfish there along with spotted trout, flounder, stingrays, different types of sharks, and more. Even though adults turn into little kids on this island.
    That's awesome Elliot. Its great having your own little spot that you can unwind and let your hair down...Even better when you can share it with friends, and catch a fish or two. I hear those red fish pull hard...they must be loads of fun to catch. Thanks for sharing your trip, and i hope you get there again some time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by 14Discus View Post
    Had a great trip to the north woods WI in August. Got this 33lb er on my favorite lake which I love to fish at night. Luckily, the wife took care of the Discus and koi back home.

Nice catch Bill. Is that a Muskie? fishing at night is a whole different experience, which looks like it works for you. Its great that your wife helps you look after your fish to allow you to get away for some quite time. Thanks for sharing and good luck the next time you get back out on the water.

Real Name
    Bill G.

Yep....49”er. I almost only do night fishing.....have the lake to myself and the action can be awesome. I have caught four muskies in 3+ hours on this lake on several nights. I’ve been going there for over thirty years and know it pretty darn well. That comes in handy for both fish locations and safety. All my biggest ones have come at night on either crank bait or tandem buck tails with an occasional surface lure. My rattlin Grandma lures have caught abt 80% of the fish. It’s also serene out there then. Gotta be prepared and we’ll equipped though. These fish are toothy and strong. Sometimes they hit wo warning at the side of the boat and that both scares the $#*t out of you along with having to change pants....lol.

Bill, I had mental image of a surprise strike at the boat Sharks have done that to me and the water here is usually murky so I don't see it coming.

I usually use a cut bait and put it on the bottom, put rod(s) in holder, and relax... explore the island a little... drink a beer... then BOOM!!!!!!! Rod doubles over as if a freight train snagged it. So I can imagine that with your night muskie fishing when casting over and over and... WAMMM! Those muskie look gnarly.
    Last edited by pastry; 12-21-2019 at 12:56 PM.
    -Elliot

Real Name
    Kane Archer

I love fishing. My dad and I often go fishing together but my dad does all the technical hard work. I just put them in the freezer and cheer my dad up.

Page 30 of 34 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast