ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 30 of 53 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY "Anoxic Filtration System" eliminates nitrates? Anyone tried this?

Real Name
    Rob

Default Re: DIY "Anoxic Filtration System" eliminates nitrates? Anyone tried this?

Quote Originally Posted by Salty Sphynx View Post
    Hubby reminded me that we did add Seachem Stability just prior to adding the sacrificial fish for the fish-in cycle... so am sure that is what helped the initial cycling.
    Thanks for mentioning. I'm going to order some, and hopefully that will help with my BCB's. I was thinking about adding some, but wanted to try without. That doesn't seem to be working though, so Seachems to the rescue... Cheers Heather

Default Re: DIY "Anoxic Filtration System" eliminates nitrates? Anyone tried this?

Hi all, I have been on a quest for pure laterite, and have found a source with a large supply. I told him about this site and topic, he said i can post his information (is this ok to do so on this forum)?

Real Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by GP. View Post
    Hi all, I have been on a quest for pure laterite, and have found a source with a large supply. I told him about this site and topic, he said i can post his information (is this ok to do so on this forum)?
    PM me please

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by GP. View Post
    You can share his info here on the forum Greg
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

The guys name is Michael this is his stores link www.wetworldeagan.com

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

That would be interesting indeed, a guy over here even tried to get it sent direct from India where there are vast deposits of the stuff!

Real Name
    Michael

Hello ,

My name is Michael I have used the pure laterite for multiple applications like a very healthy planted tank with some incredible discus.

Kindest regards

Real Name
    Rob

Finally........
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Heather

Quote Originally Posted by lastflea View Post
    Finally........
    Looking good!

Are you using RO/DI water?
    Every Day is a Bonus!

Real Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Salty Sphynx View Post
    Looking good!

Are you using RO/DI water?
    No, just tap. I think it'll suit domestic bred discus fine. pH8 (aged), GH7, KH5.

Registered Member

hello all,

just wondering if AFS would interfere with medicating the tank? because the cat litter we use here is mainly from zeolite so would this absorb/neutralize medication like praziquantel that's used to treat fluke/worm?

Thx

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

lastflea can’t view your image attachment on your last post.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sayid

Quote Originally Posted by discusnow View Post
    hello all,

just wondering if AFS would interfere with medicating the tank? because the cat litter we use here is mainly from zeolite so would this absorb/neutralize medication like praziquantel that's used to treat fluke/worm?

Thx
    I am not an expert but i imagine zeolite being capable of attracting ammonia molecule and then break nitrogen - hydrogen bond and eventually free nitrogen gas ,it is capable of interfere with medication ,i would prefer to treat fish with praziquantel in a hospital tank ,that is my opinion but i am sure others will chime in .

Real Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by farebox View Post
    lastflea can’t view your image attachment on your last post.
    Nothing really exciting, except for me. A picture of my nitrite reading. It's gone through the roof now. Off the scale and ammonia dropped to about 2ppm. Will top up again tomorrow or day after.

Registered Member

hey Sayid,
    i'm afraid that might be the case, that would be a major drawback of having AFS as the main biofilter, because worming is quite a common practice and having a display tank that's forever free from fluke would be anyone's dream. one would think to remove the biocenosis basket before medicating would be fine but as soon as you re-introduce the BB again it will bring back those nasty pest. so may be other form of cat litter clay that's not zeolite based might not have this problem. found below from DR Kevin Novak website. so may be time to explore and search for other cat litter.

=================
    Bentonite: Do not use
    Clumping cat litters are made of Bentonite clay, which sticks together when wet. The bentoniteis usually mixed with quartz and diatomaceous earth, which are absorbent.

Other Clays:
    Various types of clays are used for non-clumping cat litters. Zeolite, diatomaceous earth and sepiolite are common.
    (Only use clay –Attapulgite-that has been mined from the earth, clean, baked, and pulverized such as Kitty litter.)
    ==============

Page 30 of 53 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast