ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Hello and a couple of questions

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Hello and a couple of questions

Quote Originally Posted by peewee1 View Post
    One more I want you to consider is the Stripe Alenquer. Look for an adult coloring. The wild crosses from Hans or Kenny are not any harder to keep than any of the others, With the except of the Heckels. If you are set on ordering from Hans I suspect he would tell you which to stay away from for the time being. Kenny will also always give his opinion as the hardiness of his fish as well. If you like blue then the Blue Scorpion and the Neon Sapphire are very pretty. Also the Albino Millennium Gold is a lemon color with pale blue and crimson tipping on the fins and not subject to peppering. I still like the Dark Angel or the Mercury cousin.
    Actually any wild cross is still a domestic discus which include all Heckel crosses. This means that any cross is not any harder to keep then domestic discus.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Ally

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    You look like an artist, Ally.
    Haha, thanks, Liz. Every so often I try to be more "normal" but it never lasts long....

Real Name
    Ally

Thanks everyone for continuing to keep this conversation interesting, it's half the fun reading all the different stories and opinions.

Having a pretty good week so far; the livingroom walls are painted, the tank has been ordered (eee!) and very exciting - the small ageing barrel I set up last week seems to be helping the ammonia battle. The readings still show a small amount of ammonia but I believe it's total ammonia and not free, so I am happy. I hadn't done a water change on the barrel for a week and got those results - yesterday I did a 50% change and will read today. Explained to husband that I wanted a 50 gallon+ barrel in the garage for water changes and he didn't even blink before he said yes - he is getting as excited as I am.

Have been chatting to Discus Hans and he has answered a few more questions including the chloramine issue and he recommended Cloram-x, which I have ordered. I am 95% sure I will be getting my fish from him - I really want one of the Stendker Dark Angels for sure! Now I am just trying to decide if I want to handpick 8 myself or do his 10 "his pick" for the same price to account for possible (probable!) losses going forward.... he has said that he would do his best to make sure there was an angel in that pick. I kinda like the idea of leaving the selection to chance, as I can't seem to chose myself, we will see.

Photo of lovely new wall where the tank will be going - the stand is just the right height that the top of the stand is in line with the top of the sofa which is lovely
    Attached Images Attached Images

If I were buying the fish for myself I would want to select the ones I like best.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Hans typically doesn't do individual pics or vid of fish...ya just have to trust him...so whether you get his 10 pick, or pick 8 strains you want to keep, Hans still does the picking.

I had forgotten that, Danny. Now that you mention it, you're correct.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Daniel

Thx Liz. I think I would still rather pick 8 fish of a few diff strains that I know I like the look of than get 10 fish, and possibly not like half of them. Those you don't like as much will detract from the beauty of the ones you do like. Just my 2c worth, lol

Real Name
    Ally

Thanks guys, you are right - I will probably pick the ones I want rather than leave it to chance, as I know I want a Cobalt or Blue Diamond (or a Flachen - is the main difference that the Flachen gets more of a green tint?), at least one Dark Angel, a Silver Pigeonblood and I think a couple of Tefe too after all. I keep changing my mind! I'm pretty torn with getting one of each to see what they look like, or getting them in a group which I actually prefer the look of, but don't want to limit my choices right now

However, I think it would be better that I get ones I have chosen specifically. I think I will get 8 but might go for a couple more if I really can't decide, and whittle them down later as I have favourites.

Husband was very hilarious when I broached the actual cost of the fish with him yesterday. He just made a strange face and said that he won't ask me about the cost of the fish if I don't ask him the cost of his spaceships in the game he plays (he buys special rare ones with real money). Now I am rather intrigued to know the cost of his spaceships....

Got an email notification that my tank will be shipped soon! Guessing next week some time. Really excited now!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Shawn

I recently ordered Hans pick 10 and he allowed me to pick the strains I wanted. I emailed him and he said as long as he has enough stock I could get the ones I wanted. Try contacting him.

The Flachens are more of greenish hue and very pretty.

I'm not crazy about the PB strains but I have to admit a good White Pigeon is very beautiful. I won't say what I think about the Dark Angels, although I can also see their appeal.

I really like your other choices, especially the Stendker Tefe's. I know that they're totally domestic, but they do have a wild look to them. But I am not you. You have plenty to choose from to get the look you want.

I'm excited, too.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Ally

Quote Originally Posted by swright135 View Post
    I recently ordered Hans pick 10 and he allowed me to pick the strains I wanted. I emailed him and he said as long as he has enough stock I could get the ones I wanted. Try contacting him.

The Flachens are more of greenish hue and very pretty.
    I contacted Hans and he did say that he would be happy for me to make a suggestion for a couple of additions, I couldn't chose each one which is more than fair enough! I am thinking I am going to pick out each one myself instead, and possibly even get a group of 10 to start rather than the 8 I was planning, we will see. I still can't decide if I want to try 1 of each of my favourite types, or a couple of each of my most favourite types. I also keep changing my mind which are my favourites, which is why I did like the idea of doing a random grab bag so that Hans could make the decision for me....

Real Name
    Ally

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I'm not crazy about the PB strains but I have to admit a good White Pigeon is very beautiful. I won't say what I think about the Dark Angels, although I can also see their appeal.

I really like your other choices, especially the Stendker Tefe's. I know that they're totally domestic, but they do have a wild look to them. But I am not you. You have plenty to choose from to get the look you want.

I'm excited, too.
    I think the white pigeon may be my favourite, it is just so gorgeous. I am mildly concerned about peppering in pigeons against my slate walls, but it's quite a light shade and will have white sand in the tank (eventually). If it is looking to be an issue I will just add backing onto the tank.
    I can certainly see a lot of people not being fans of the dark angel, but I think they look like they are watercolours, and being so very different than the others I have to try at least one! Some videos of them as adults are stunning, with their blush noses and blue backs
    I am really intrigued by the tefe - every time I see a nicely done set up with true wilds I feel the pull, (especially Pat's!) but that is for another day. I have seen some amazing tefe/wild type set up videos and really want to do that as well, but being so new to the hobby, I want to try one of everything. It's Discus Pokemon!

Those of us who are not fond of Dark Angels is because, at least imo, because they are PB's and the strain has not been refined to the point that the peppering isn't noticeable. The cool thing about them is that they look pastel bluish pink. I expect that you will have to do something about your background color.

Be sure to paint the bottom of your tank. White would be a good choice. I'd paint the back, too. But paint is a pain to remove if you decide you don't like it. Shoot, you're an artist you could paint white sand with a planted background. That would be way cool.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Daniel

If the quality of the PB's is reasonably high you shouldn't see too much peppering produced from the environment they're in. I know many people speak of it but in my experience (which is minimal in the grand scheme of things) I have not encountered it. I have a 125gal with the back painted black. I have several solid discus that are PB strains that are by no means show grade fish but are reasonably high quality...red melon, royal yellow, red panda...none of them have any noticeable peppering on their bodies, just the tell tale black in their finnage. In my case the black background has not noticeably affected them. Just my experience...

Real Name
    Ally

... tank has arrived and it is beyoootiful! (Photos will follow, however husband took them as I am *appallingly* bad with a camera)

Husband ended up building most of the cabinet - he went into "male mode" and decided to take over, which I was fine with as it was 10pm and I didn't want to build anymore!
    I had been really nervous about lifting 140lbs of glass, but I bought some of those glass suction handle things and it was actually much easier than I thought. It is now sitting empty as my filtration hasn't arrived yet

The bottom already had a black velvet layer added so I didn't want to paint or anything. I will see how things go with the dark ground and the darker wall, but am ready to add a vinyl layer to the back of the tank if it looks like the fish are remaining too dark or peppering, and will add a thin layer of white sand if the base is affecting them too. No painting the tank, too scary!

I think I am in the minority in that I don't mind peppering, unless it was on something like a checkerboard that has very stark and clear colour differences, but if it develops and it is an easy fix then I will of course try remedy it

I am still very torn as to which ones to actually get, I know three types that I really want to try, but the others change on a day to day basis when I browse through photos.... two of each, please!

I would have loved to try yellows as that's my favourite colour but the Stendker don't seem to come in yellow - and very annoyingly, Uncle Sam's Discus is having a sale right now with some very nice looking yellows which has confused my decisions too, of course! I am aware that keeping them yellow is quite hard as well.
    As an afterthought, what do people think of Uncle Sam's Discus? My tank doesn't even have water in it, but that sale is tempting - I do have my ageing barrel with filter set up and I have a second filter running in my Q tank with one fighter fish in it that I could transfer to the main tank and take advantage of that sale.... However, I do like the Stendker so much.... hmmm.

I waffle on too much, I know! I think I will start up an actual tank diary post next, to contain the waffling to a more appropriate place!
    Last edited by Pudmuppy; 08-31-2019 at 01:26 PM.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast