AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions on where to purchase

Registered Member

Default Re: Suggestions on where to purchase

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    captainandy, I would suggest if you are on FB please become a member of the FB SimplyDiscus group. Brian (jeep) and I run the group. Recently there has been posts from group members about receiving sick, dead and poorly packaged fish from Wattley. One member went to Gabe's facility and there were dead fish in some of the tanks. Go see for yourself.

Brian recently bought some fish from Uncle Sam's and here is his live stock review http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...fROf_efSEAPWTs. A couple years ago Uncle Sam's changed ownership and has slowly slipped on both fish quality and customer service.

As an admin on the forum I do recommend SimplyDiscus sponsors as a first look for existing and new members. However if I have seen numerous posts on FB concerning the same discus vendor (either positive or negative) I will recommend or suggest a member take a second look. It is a member's responsibility to do their own research IMO.
    Pat
    Was not aware of the FB group. Visited and sent request to join. Thanks.
    Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 08-01-2020 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Fixed link

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by peewee1 View Post
    Was not aware of the FB group. Visited and sent request to join. Thanks.
    Thanks Norm, the group definitely have a wild west favor to it lol.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    captainandy, I would suggest if you are on FB please become a member of the FB SimplyDiscus group. Brian (jeep) and I run the group. Recently there has been posts from group members about receiving sick, dead and poorly packaged fish from Wattley. One member went to Gabe's facility and there were dead fish in some of the tanks. Go see for yourself.

Brian recently bought some fish from Uncle Sam's and here is his live stock review http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...23-Uncle-Sam-s. Brian has some followup threads on this subject also. Uncle Sam's was once a sponsor here and they did well. A couple years ago Uncle Sam's changed ownership and has slowly slipped on both fish quality and customer service.

As an admin on the forum I do recommend SimplyDiscus sponsors as a first look for existing and new members. However if I have seen numerous posts on FB concerning the same discus vendor (either positive or negative) I will recommend or suggest a member take a second look. It is a member's responsibility to do their own research IMO.
    Pat
    That was the better of two reviews, lol...
    Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 08-01-2020 at 08:54 AM.

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    That was the better of two reviews, lol...
    Meant to use your more recent review Brian, thanks for the heads up.
    Pat

Registered Member

I suspect there are a multitude of very good and unknown sellers everywhere in the world. But for large volume and wide ranges of choice there are few good ones. At the very least the forum sponsors, and why not include Hans in the mix, have been in business for many years. They are consistently well reviewed year in and year out. So why risk trying out something new or at least less reviewed.

Two examples. Two weeks ago the engine in son Little Ricky's car gave up. He did his due diligence and shopped for the best price. In the end I recommended that he have the work done at a local shop high volume shop who had been in business for more than 30 years. The guy was more expensive but he had the reputation and he guaranteed his work. Little Ricky agreed and I knew n the end sometimes you pay more but in the long run you may save money because the repairs were don right the first time. He has yet to understand that concept because I am hearing complaints from him yesterday about the car, new engine and AC.

Second. I need a new front end on my car, because of crash. I am with State Farm. I thought I needed to get estimates but State Farm said to take to the shop next door to where the engine was replaced. They have been in business for 40 years, large shop, and State Farm had so much faith in them that they would honor the estimate whatever ti was. Again, the auto body shop is more expensive than most but I know they will do a good job. This car needs custom painting as a part of the repair but I was assured that they could handle it. Again, in both instances I could have gotten a lower price but the reviews and the reputations of both businesses are 4.5 star or higher.

With Kenny, Miranda, Dennis, Golden State, and other forum sponsors you get the best of the best. And if they screw it up they have the forum membership to answer to.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Johnny

No, not only has Discus.com not admitted to stealing Kenny's photos, it has gone on to brazenly steal photos of other breeders. Discus Hans just posted on FB the other day complaining how discus.com claims that it sells Han's exclusive stendker bloodline. The owner of Discus.com is a very bold and remorseless individual. He doesn't admit to his wrongdoings. For him, stealing photos is just business, a way to gain a competitive advantage. He has drawn the ire of many discus keepers. I saw an exchange on Facebook once between the owner of Discus.com and a renowned breeder where the breeder accused the owner of stealing his business, and the owner merely shrugged it off, telling him to mind his own business. You seriously can't get the owner of Discus.com to stop his immoral conduct. Even when the whole community has accused him of fraud, Discus.com continues to steal photos and customers of the breeders.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Rich

Pat, Is there a way i can contact you off the forum? I have some questions I'd like to ask you.

Thanks
    Rich

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by RBM328 View Post
    Pat, Is there a way i can contact you off the forum? I have some questions I'd like to ask you.

Thanks
    Rich
    Hi Rich, send me a pm.
    Pat

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny95132 View Post
    No, not only has Discus.com not admitted to stealing Kenny's photos, it has gone on to brazenly steal photos of other breeders. Discus Hans just posted on FB the other day complaining how discus.com claims that it sells Han's exclusive stendker bloodline. The owner of Discus.com is a very bold and remorseless individual. He doesn't admit to his wrongdoings. For him, stealing photos is just business, a way to gain a competitive advantage. He has drawn the ire of many discus keepers. I saw an exchange on Facebook once between the owner of Discus.com and a renowned breeder where the breeder accused the owner of stealing his business, and the owner merely shrugged it off, telling him to mind his own business. You seriously can't get the owner of Discus.com to stop his immoral conduct. Even when the whole community has accused him of fraud, Discus.com continues to steal photos and customers of the breeders.
    Trademark and copyright lawyer, in the house, one of the peewee children. Says that Kenny can send a letter of copyright infringement to the provider...etc. So what I will do is send an email to Kenny outlining what steps he can take and then him pursue if he so desires.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny95132 View Post
    Karma will get him one day. Someone as unethical as him will most surely get bit in the butt one day. I hope he gets bit hard.

Mark

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by above design View Post
    Karma will get him one day. Someone as unethical as him will most surely get bit in the butt one day. I hope he gets bit hard.

Mark
    Mark, Marks' words. A bite mark on his butt will be the result of Discus.com re-mark-able bad practice.

Real Name
    Tom

What I don’t get is how can he show their pics than deliver different fish? He must have terrible reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by peewee1 View Post
    Mark, Marks' words. A bite mark on his butt will be the result of Discus.com re-mark-able bad practice.
    This has absolutely nothing to do with this thread but let me see if I can contribute:

Randy "Pee Wee" Anderson (1959–2002), American wrestling referee.
    John Howell Collier (1899–1980), United States Army lieutenant general.
    Pee Wee Crayton (1914–1985), American R&B and blues guitarist and singer.
    Thomas "Pee Wee" DePhillips, a capo in the Genovese
    Z
    Discus.com sucks.... think we can all agree on that ....

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by above design View Post
    This has absolutely nothing to do with this thread but let me see if I can contribute:

Randy "Pee Wee" Anderson (1959–2002), American wrestling referee.
    John Howell Collier (1899–1980), United States Army lieutenant general.
    Pee Wee Crayton (1914–1985), American R&B and blues guitarist and singer.
    Thomas "Pee Wee" DePhillips, a capo in the Genovese
    Z
    Discus.com sucks.... think we can all agree on that ....
    Not to forget about Pee Wee Reese and Pee Wee Herman.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    John

Got back in the hobby recently after being out for 10 years. Bought fish from Discus Hans this spring. Very professional. Emailed me when they would be shipped, He realized he overcharged the shipping on the credit card and followed up with another email. Fish arrived as expected. He will personally call to follow up on the the delivery that day. Asks about the set-up, offer suggestions to get the fish up to speed after shipping.

A month later I ordered a few 2.5 yellows from Wattely as Hans doesn't carry that color. Also a pleco. No email when they would be coming. I wasn't expecting the fish so quick. A few days later the fish show up. Fortunately I was home. The discus ended up being 3.5+ in size. One was closer to 4. One was really beaten up. Eventually died. After a short quarantine the bigger one overtook my tank and thrashed my smaller discus. Ended up tearing fins and the tank getting fin rot. Able to cure that but cost me $$. I just went down to the fish store and gave the big discus away. It's like they must have thought "yeah this guy wants 2.5 but all we have is these 3.5+ oddballs, let ship anyways". In the end I have only the one yellow remaining.

And oh, the Pleco bag wasn't stabled but rubber banded. Must of got roughed up during delivery and turned. The bag leaked and lost half it's water. Fortunately it survived and is doing ok.

I wrote Wattley about the leaky bag and just get back "No we staple" and some other stuff. I could have complained about the wrong size and asked for credit but basically said screw it, Don't want to mess with them anymore. Lesson learned.

Hans seems like a nice guy with reasonably priced fish. Just wish he had yellows.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast