ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: San Merah Discus

Default San Merah Discus

Hello,

Is the San Merah Discus a cross from wilds? Or are they just another name for a Marlboro Red, Red Melon, etc?
    DiscusLoverJeff

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
    Confucius

Default Re: San Merah Discus

Marlboro reds and red melons are pigeon blood based. San merahs are brown based.

I see, thank you!
    DiscusLoverJeff

Confucius

I just got a gorgeous Virgin Red from Kenny's Discus. It's also brown-based. I specifically got a brown-based red wanting to avoid pigeon-based reds since I have a dark substrate and heavily planted tank. I do have a Carnation Pigeon and Checkerboard Pigeon and their peppering in very, very limited (just a smidge on the edges of their fins, knock on wood) but decided not to push my luck!
    My planted, 72 gal, discus tank:
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=74968

Registered Member

One of our contributors talks about the origins of san merah and other strains here-

http://www.aquariumhobbyist.com/disc...ins/index.html

I figure he knows his stuff...

Thank you for the link.

The next question is, is the San Merah a popular variety? I am looking into a pair but not sure if I could sell fry considering I can't ship just yet.

I guess its a hit or miss like most strains. My two LFS will not buy as of yet because there is not a big discus market where I am in northern IL.
    DiscusLoverJeff

Confucius

regardless even you have pair San merah the fry is not 100% san merah they will be in grade as rose red, red virgin or other and is expensive kind for non albino discus
    Henry
    Back to Discus grin:

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusLoverJeff View Post
    Thank you for the link.

The next question is, is the San Merah a popular variety? I am looking into a pair but not sure if I could sell fry considering I can't ship just yet.

I guess its a hit or miss like most strains. My two LFS will not buy as of yet because there is not a big discus market where I am in northern IL.

Its all a personal preference. Everybody has different taste. If you can grow out fry with great shape and health, they'll sell. If you are looking to make a profit, it won't happen. Breeding and selling for a hobbyist is about the passion, not the dividends.
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Thats true Eddie!

I just want to share my passion with more people in my community who are not aware that such nice fish exist in fresh water as opposed to salt water.

When friends see the color strains of my discus and from what I show them from pictures on this website, they are in aww. So, I want to share the passion and more so, find more harder to get discus verses more common discus with others, thats why I was thinking of the San Merah.
    DiscusLoverJeff

Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusLoverJeff View Post
    Thats true Eddie!

I just want to share my passion with more people in my community who are not aware that such nice fish exist in fresh water as opposed to salt water.

When friends see the color strains of my discus and from what I show them from pictures on this website, they are in aww. So, I want to share the passion and more so, find more harder to get discus verses more common discus with others, thats why I was thinking of the San Merah.

I hear you. The problem is that San Merah does not breed true. You may have a decent amount in a spawn but you will have a large variation. You'll have Rose Reds, Red Covers, maybe some Virgin reds. And then you will have to take into account the culling. Once you cull down to the best of your spawn, you may only have a handful of San Merahs.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

Real Name
    Rick

You'll have Rose Reds, Red Covers, maybe some Virgin reds. And then you will have to take into account the culling. Once you cull down to the best of your spawn, you may only have a handful of San Merahs.
    This is interesting, I did not know this. so are you saying that these strains are identical genetically, and the difference is in how they express thier color? In other words, you could breed two Virgin Reds and possibly end up with a small percentage of San Merahs?

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    This is interesting, I did not know this. so are you saying that these strains are identical genetically, and the difference is in how they express thier color? In other words, you could breed two Virgin Reds and possibly end up with a small percentage of San Merahs?

Depends on their parent genetics but yes, you will have variations within a spawn. Interesting enough, the virgin reds today don't look anything like the original virgin reds. They have tendencies/characteristics similar to Rose Reds or Red Covers.
    Visit Eddie's Place

Banned

Smile Re: San Merah Discus

Another thing to remember, Rose Reds, Virgin Reds, etc. were specifically bred for their characteristics and named by their originator. These names were not just names given to San Merahs that did not make the grade. To call the San Merah rejects these specific names, I think would be an error.

Mat

Quote Originally Posted by ShinShin View Post
    Another thing to remember, Rose Reds, Virgin Reds, etc. were specifically bred for their characteristics and named by their originator. These names were not just names given to San Merahs that did not make the grade. To call the San Merah rejects these specific names, I think would be an error.

Mat
    I agree 100%
    Visit Eddie's Place

Real Name
    Rick

Mat
    Ok, that is what I was asking, however I don't think I would use the term reject . They just appear so simular. For instance here is a Virgin Red purchased from Kenny at 3.5" in July.....coloring up nicely with a blue halo, unfortunetly she has taken to playing house a bit early in life as she approaches 5"

Excuse the smudges on the plexi, I didn't even see them until after I took the pics.
    Last edited by nc0gnet0; 10-19-2010 at 11:50 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast