AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Finally!!

Real Name
    Nate

Default Re: Finally!!

Hi Daniel - The pairs are Red Eagle F with a Tiger/Carnation Turqu M, a pair of HB Forrest Giant Blue and a Red Eagle F with a Leopard w/ring gene M. Any more spawn activity? One pair is on their second wiggler stage, but only have 1 left they haven't eaten. The other two pairs are on their second spawns...no wigglers from either of those pairs yet.
    120 Discus Show Tank / 125 Grow Out Tank / Fish Room (almost) Under Construction
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Hey Nate!! I had a spawn with my unproven pair after my last WC, but my proven pair did not spawn. I removed the piece of wood they laid on and replaced it with a male shift breeding cone (a glass light shade). I think the change in environmental setting put them off the spawn. We'll see what they do after my next WC...stay tuned

Real Name
    Daniel

So the royal yellow x red melon pair had wigglers again from their last spawn. There was prob 25-30 that I could see, but sadly they ate them again...sufferin-succotash thos' rascally discus!
    Maybe they know I'm just not set up to raise fry....

Real Name
    Nate

I feel your pain! My Red Eagle x HB Forest Giant Blue pair are on their 4th spawn. 175 eggs and I am hopeful they will get past the wigglers and onto free swimming this go round. Good luck!
    120 Discus Show Tank / 125 Grow Out Tank / Fish Room (almost) Under Construction
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real Name
    Daniel

Thanks Nate. Still have wigglers today. Should be free swimming by tomorrow. We'll see what they do with that, lol

Real Name
    Daniel

After 2 months my fish are doing really well, putting on size. The biggest has just pushed past the 6" mark and the smallest 5.25". All were 4.5-5.0 when purchased from Dennis. I have been feeding Dennis's BH/seafood mix and pure ground deer heart 2 times daily.
    The royal yellow/red melon pair are still breeding but not getting past the wiggler stage. The last spawn they have wigglers into a 3rd day then ate them and spawned again the very next day. I also have a love triangle goin on. A red melon female and a marlb yellow Male and red albino Male all participating in a spawn today. The female would lay then both males would pass over the eggs. The red melon was originally paired with the marlb yellow but the last 4-5 spawns she has been with the red albino. Now's it this 3 of them. Weird.
    Anyway, a few crappy phone pics from this evening b4 work...
    20181129_181830.jpg
    20181129_181844.jpg
    The love triangle trinity...
    20181129_182120.jpg
    20181129_182237.jpg
    Happy dayz

Very nice Daniel
    you are doing great job growing them.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

They look great Danny and are growing out well for you. I have heard of three-some before but it is weird. If your pair make it to wiggler tending stage what are your plans?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Daniel

Thanks Sanjay and Pat!
    The royal yellow x red melon pair have had wigglers 3 times now Pat, but they never make it to the free swimming stage. I really want my kids to see fry feeding off the parents slime coat 1st hand so I'm gonna be patient a while longer to see if they will eventually get it right. If not, I will prob get a 29 high or 40 breeder and separate them to see if that does it.
    The trio haven't even had wigglers as yet, so we'll see what comes of that. I would ultimately like to see the red melon x red albino pairs have young. Willie said the fry would be very clean red melons. That would be nice...
    As for growing out fry to a saleable size...that is a whole other thing...we'll see

Daniel, are you turning the lights off after they have eggs ?

Real Name
    Daniel

Actually Sanjay I rarely have the lights on. The tank is in our dining room and get great ambient light from the room and window. With the vibrant discus colors and the black back ground the fish really pop. I made the mistake of turning the light on the look at the wigglers 3 spawns ago, but now I just leave it off. I guess they're just not mature enough yet.
    Do you ever have probs with mixed variant crosses not being committed to each other or their spawn/fry?

Real Name
    Nate

Something I've noticed with all the spawning going on in my tank is that the pair spawning on the quiet side of the tank, they get to the wiggler stage every time now... and they don't eat their wigglers, the cardinal tetras are eating them. But, the pairs that spawn where there is more activity, they eat their eggs or wigglers after a while. Is it possible your pair is seeing too much activity from what is going on outside the tank? Everything I read suggests giving the breeding pair a quiet, darker space helps with their success. Congratulations on all the successes with the spawning and your discus are beautiful!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real Name
    Daniel

Thanks Nate. I am very happy with the quality of the fish Dennis (new SD sponsor) sold me.
    TBH I was not planning on breeding but rather having a nice ambient display in our dining room. I was gonna keep BB for 6 months and get them all to 6-6.5", then add sand, maybe some more wood, and some basic high temp tolerant plants.
    The 1 breeding pair threw a spanner in the works when they killed a $75 5" red panda the 1st time they had wigglers. I was out at the time. I have had to put a divider in to protect the remaining 5 cause the pair is constantlyspawning, like every 4 days. The love triangle breeders don't bother the remaining 2 much at all when they lay.
    There may be too much commotion in the dining room for the pair to feel comfortable but that's where my tank will stay. I was hoping to show my boys attached fry at least a time or 2, but I may end up selling the pair and buying others since they are to aggressive with wigglers to coexist safely with the rest. I was really going for a nice display of adult discus happily (for the most part, they are cichlids) coexisting together. No dividers, no deaths, just peaceful ambiance. You know what I mean mate?

Real Name
    Daniel

So the weird love triangle spawned the other day and for the 1st time produced wigglers...the question is, which male, or did both males, fertilze the eggs...
    20181207_074002.jpg

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Shawn

Daniel any updates with spawning? Has any made it to free swimmers yet?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast