ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you deworm your fish?

Default How do you deworm your fish?

I had started another thread asking how people get there discus to grow so fast and big. Well the subject turned into deworming your fish as juvies which is what I have. Most people told me to either use Angel Plus deworming flake food or use levamisole. I went with the deworming flake food from Angel Plus. But my fish are such picky eaters I am having a hard time even getting 1/3 of the fish to even eat any. I am doing 5 feedings every other day and the day I feed them I don't feed them anything all day then at night give them the flake just before I do a WC. Any other secrets people use to get there fish to eat this deworming flake food or after the 5 feedings get some levamisole and try that?

Registered Member

Default Re: How do you deworm your fish?

To me it is obvious something is wrong with either your discus or the circumstances (tank, water parameters, food, tankmates and so on). Before people can give you proper advice they need to know more like age/size, number of discus, tank size, PH, GH, KH, temperature, number of fish, foods and feedings, substrate, water changing regime, filtration and so on. There is a reason why your fish have a poor appetite and with the mentioned info it will be easier to narrow things down.

First things that come up are,....why do you skip feeding them and only feed them every other day? Is this becouse of the medicated flakes or is there an other reason?

Why deworm? Are there signs your fish have worms? (sunken belly, worms found on tankfloor, slimy white poo).

I don't think there is something wrong with my discus because when I feed them there regular food they eat like crazy. I have never been able to get my fish to eat pellet or flake food most of them just won't touch it. Now you throw in some FBW, FBS, or Hans food recipe they eat that up fast but pellet or flake nope they just won't touch it. I am doing this because several members on here including Eddie told me this is something that should be done maybe once a month while they are juvies. I am following the instructions on the bag of Angel Plus food on feeding which is just what others members told me to do. 5 feedings every other day and the day you feed them nothing all day so they are good and hungry.

I agree, there may be something else going on beside internal problems. A hearty fish will eat with gusto, and almost anything. Young fish should be begging for food all day long. How often do you perform water changes? What size tank? How many fish?

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

100 gallons and 11 fish they beg for food and eat like little crack babies when I feed them other things like mentioned before but pellet or flake they show no interest in.

Quote Originally Posted by ZX10R View Post
    I don't think there is something wrong with my discus because when I feed them there regular food they eat like crazy. I have never been able to get my fish to eat pellet or flake food most of them just won't touch it. Now you throw in some FBW, FBS, or Hans food recipe they eat that up fast but pellet or flake nope they just won't touch it. I am doing this because several members on here including Eddie told me this is something that should be done maybe once a month while they are juvies. I am following the instructions on the bag of Angel Plus food on feeding which is just what others members told me to do. 5 feedings every other day and the day you feed them nothing all day so they are good and hungry.

LOL, I wouldn't suggest worming fish once a month. I do regularly deworm my juveniles but this is probably semimonthly or quarterly if that. And it is a 3 course of feeding only de-worming flake, 4-5 times a day.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

Gotcha, that DiscusKev is the one that said some people do monthly so that is what I was going on. I do a third feeding tomorrow I will just keep trying maybe they will come around and take a liking to it.

Gotcha, that DiscusKev is the one that said some people do monthly so that is what I was going on. I do a third feeding tomorrow I will just keep trying maybe they will come around and take a liking to it.

Here is a tip, get the Garlic flake from Angel Plus and train the fish to eat this flake regularly. The garlic flake is the base flake for the de-worming flake so it looks and probably tastes exactly the same. Garlic flake is one flake that I get all my fish to eat well. This makes the de-worming routine extremely easy.
    Visit Eddie's Place

I will give that a shot. About a 1/3 of them eat it I guess the others have just gotten so use to eating the other stuff when they see flake they get confused about eating it. I have also thought about mixing some in with the FBS to see if they get so busy eating they over look that it is flake mixed in.

I will give that a shot. About a 1/3 of them eat it I guess the others have just gotten so use to eating the other stuff when they see flake they get confused about eating it. I have also thought about mixing some in with the FBS to see if they get so busy eating they over look that it is flake mixed in.

Yeah, they just need some time.
    Visit Eddie's Place

Registered Member

Hey Eddie, just wondering why you deworm your juvies every other month or [4 x year?]. Can you explain this for me? It's not something I do prophylactically. On the other hand, I most always grow my juvies out on their own, i.e. the QT tank is the grow out tank until they are subadults and I figure out what I am going to do with them, LOL. It's a bubble without other fish, etc.
    Thanks in advance for responding.
    Best,
    Harriett

Quote Originally Posted by Harriett View Post
    Hey Eddie, just wondering why you deworm your juvies every other month or [4 x year?]. Can you explain this for me? It's not something I do prophylactically. On the other hand, I most always grow my juvies out on their own, i.e. the QT tank is the grow out tank until they are subadults and I figure out what I am going to do with them, LOL. It's a bubble without other fish, etc.
    Thanks in advance for responding.
    Best,
    Harriett

Keeps them cleaned out, like periodically worming dogs/cats. Really depends on the foods you feed. A long time breeder/expert on the forum, back in the day JimmyL, recommended this and I've always taken his advice/techniques to heart.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

Registered Member

Ah, I see--just a difference in approaches. I am of the monitor and respond school, you are of the proactive school on this issue. OK. I see the merits of your method, and yet I personally don't treat unless I see a specific problem. BUT, I don't do wilds, I add new discus infrequently, I don't feed actually live foods [thanks to Malcolm!], and I QT obsessively, LOL! [QT tank and grow out tank for the first year is the same tank--a closed organism and rarely a problem]. Thanks for answering,
    Harriett

My fish wont do flakes. I wish.. they liek pellets ... does anyone know of any good deworm pellets?

Quote Originally Posted by Harriett View Post
    Ah, I see--just a difference in approaches. I am of the monitor and respond school, you are of the proactive school on this issue. OK. I see the merits of your method, and yet I personally don't treat unless I see a specific problem. BUT, I don't do wilds, I add new discus infrequently, I don't feed actually live foods [thanks to Malcolm!], and I QT obsessively, LOL! [QT tank and grow out tank for the first year is the same tank--a closed organism and rarely a problem]. Thanks for answering,
    Harriett

Right, I do preventive worming. Responding to internal worms is more of a hassle as can be seen in the disease section. Once they have them, its pain to eradicate/deal with. If the fish can keep feeding and feed on the deworming flake, your 2 steps ahead.
    Visit Eddie's Place

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast