ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleft Palate / Cleft Lip

Real Name
    Tobi

Default Cleft Palate / Cleft Lip

Long shot but don’t know where else to ask.

Has anyone here experience or knowledge about cleft palate surgery in adults?

We have a young lady coming to help clean our house regularly, and she is affected. I would like to learn more, so that in the long run I might be able to help her get surgery, or any other treatment.

I don’t know how old she is, my guess would be mid-20s. I’m not sure how severe it is compared to others. Her speech is greatly impaired, and it’s very obvious visually.

I’ve never asked her about it as I don’t want to embarrass her.

So before being able to offer any kind of help I would need to learn more about treatment possibilities, success of treatment at that age, potential costs etc.

I’d then probe the company she works for and her colleagues if she ever mentioned the desire to get it “fixed” and then see if and how to proceed.

Most stuff online is by clinics trying to sell their services, I am looking for information not motivated by profit.

Any first, second, third hand experience/info will be appreciated.

Thank you
    Regards,
    Tobi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wild Blues/Browns/Reds
    Wild Heckels
    Wild Greens

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Default Re: Cleft Palate / Cleft Lip

I know absolutely nothing about this. However, you gave me chills reading this and I just wanted to say that you have a very kind heart.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Mando View Post
    I know absolutely nothing about this. However, you gave me chills reading this and I just wanted to say that you have a very kind heart.
    Ditto!!

Real Name
    Brian

Here's what seems to be a professionally written article on this subject. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2825062/

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Tobi, I had a nephew with a cleft palate. I do not know the severity of my nephews cleft palate but it was repaired as a child. Some of the bone was missing at the roof of the mouth. I think it requires a couple procedures over time but today he looks and talks totally normal. Hope you find a way to help this young lady. You rock BTW.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Swedgin View Post
    Long shot but don’t know where else to ask.

Has anyone here experience or knowledge about cleft palate surgery in adults?

We have a young lady coming to help clean our house regularly, and she is affected. I would like to learn more, so that in the long run I might be able to help her get surgery, or any other treatment.

I don’t know how old she is, my guess would be mid-20s. I’m not sure how severe it is compared to others. Her speech is greatly impaired, and it’s very obvious visually.

I’ve never asked her about it as I don’t want to embarrass her.

So before being able to offer any kind of help I would need to learn more about treatment possibilities, success of treatment at that age, potential costs etc.

I’d then probe the company she works for and her colleagues if she ever mentioned the desire to get it “fixed” and then see if and how to proceed.

Most stuff online is by clinics trying to sell their services, I am looking for information not motivated by profit.

Any first, second, third hand experience/info will be appreciated.

Thank you
    Very thoughtful Tobi. Let us know how things go.

Real Name
    Tobi

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    Here's what seems to be a professionally written article on this subject. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2825062/
    Thanks Brian. This will take me a couple of reads but it sort of supports my worry that the psychological damage is done, she’s used to it and that’s that. I can’t even imagine the bullying and rejection she might have experienced.

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Hi Tobi, I had a nephew with a cleft palate. I do not know the severity of my nephews cleft palate but it was repaired as a child. Some of the bone was missing at the roof of the mouth. I think it requires a couple procedures over time but today he looks and talks totally normal. Hope you find a way to help this young lady. You rock BTW.
    Pat
    Thank you Pat, glad to hear your nephew is doing well.

From what I read so far it will be more difficult, everything considered, than I thought. I just hope I’m getting somewhere with this, as obviously this will be a huge intrusion into her privacy. The last thing I want to do is make her feel worse about it than she probably does.
    If it ever came to surgery etc, I don’t think she would be able to keep her job, looking at recovery times and potential further surgeries etc. so lots of implications I need to take into account.

Baby steps...
    Regards,
    Tobi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wild Blues/Browns/Reds
    Wild Heckels
    Wild Greens

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Good on you for wanting to help, will try to ask some of my medical acquaintances
    My discus are not fat...just big fish-boned

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by Swedgin View Post
    Thanks Brian. This will take me a couple of reads but it sort of supports my worry that the psychological damage is done, she’s used to it and that’s that. I can’t even imagine the bullying and rejection she might have experienced.

Thank you Pat, glad to hear your nephew is doing well.

From what I read so far it will be more difficult, everything considered, than I thought. I just hope I’m getting somewhere with this, as obviously this will be a huge intrusion into her privacy. The last thing I want to do is make her feel worse about it than she probably does.
    If it ever came to surgery etc, I don’t think she would be able to keep her job, looking at recovery times and potential further surgeries etc. so lots of implications I need to take into account.

Baby steps...
    How about interviewing one of her close relatives to see if this is something she has mentioned in the past? And, if it's not, and you would want to proceed, have that close relative introduce the idea to see if she is up for such a treatment. I can see where it creates hesitation as there are as many bad consequences as there are good; loss of job, surgeries, mental/psychological trauma, etc. If you go through with this, I will help donate some money and if you decide to go the GoFundMe route, I will post it on my Instagram where I have over 385,000 followers. I NEVER do these types of posts, but I'm willing to help.

Real Name
    Tobi

my Instagram where I have over 385,000 followers.
    More like 500k both accounts combined. Jesus christ on a bike... your feed needs more Subarus though
    Last edited by Swedgin; 01-08-2019 at 03:39 PM.
    Regards,
    Tobi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wild Blues/Browns/Reds
    Wild Heckels
    Wild Greens

Real Name
    Tobi

How about interviewing one of her close relatives to see if this is something she has mentioned in the past? And, if it's not, and you would want to proceed, have that close relative introduce the idea to see if she is up for such a treatment. I can see where it creates hesitation as there are as many bad consequences as there are good; loss of job, surgeries, mental/psychological trauma, etc. If you go through with this, I will help donate some money and if you decide to go the GoFundMe route, I will post it on my Instagram where I have over 385,000 followers. I NEVER do these types of posts, but I'm willing to help.
    Thank you, I appreciate that.

She’s from the Philippines, I doubt she has any relatives nearby. Hardly any of us do here, it’s a country of expats

My first point of contact will likely be the cleaning company she works for. But before I approach anyone or even offer anything I need to do some homework.

Since I have no clue about the cost involved, I haven’t thought about getting outside financing, but might very well have to.

I’ll probably hit you up then. Thanks for that
    Regards,
    Tobi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wild Blues/Browns/Reds
    Wild Heckels
    Wild Greens

Real Name
    Tobi

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sabucchi View Post
    Good on you for wanting to help, will try to ask some of my medical acquaintances
    Thank you Paul, that’s great. Almost any info is new info at this point so I’ll take it
    Regards,
    Tobi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wild Blues/Browns/Reds
    Wild Heckels
    Wild Greens

Tobi,
    Maybe it would be worthwhile reaching out to some of the non-profit foundations for information and guidance..

https://www.smiletrain.org/?_ga=2.47...858.1547001333

http://www.cleftsmile.org/

https://healthfinder.gov/FindService...px?code=HR3838

for starters.

I think its a pretty cool thing that you want to try and help her. Hats off to you!

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

My discus are not fat...just big fish-boned

Real Name
    Ricardo

I'd like to commend you on this Tobi. Many years ago, this very forum gathered around me and helped donate a significant amount of funds for my nephew in El Salvador who's son needed a tumor removed in his head. I will never forget the generosity of this forum and a few others that helped with smaller contributions to save the life of a little boy none of them knew. Should you move forward, you have my support for your generous heart.

Unfortunately, I do not know anything on this subject, but i'm hoping someone will steer you on the right path.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast