AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Staurogyne on wood?

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Default Staurogyne on wood?

Hi, I would like advice abput growing Staurogyne repens on wood as an epiphyte rather than in the substrate as carpeting. In a month I should be getting a dozen juvies to grow out in a 100 gal BB but once grown I have an oak "tree" kind of ready to go in (cut it in Aprill and left it to bake in the mediterranean sun but bark still stuck pretty firm). So probably the branch will not hp on the tank for another 18 months but then I would line some kind of "canopy" growing on the top branches. Would like Staurogyne repens as it is Southamerican (not looking to create a biotope, just something a little more relevant to the origin) and some folks say it can work, any advice? Other than that I am planning to add yust a thin layer of fine pale sand and possibly a potted amazon sword in each back corner. Ciao
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Paul Sabucchi; 08-19-2017 at 05:43 AM.

Default Re: Staurogyne on wood?

Love s.repens. I know it grows up and over stuff so I don't see why not. I think the challenge would be how to attach
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Real Name
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    Love s.repens. I know it grows up and over stuff so I don't see why not. I think the challenge would be how to attach
    I would use the Seachems glue. I used it to glue christmas moss on my log in my high tech planted tank.

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Thanks, sounds promising! Definitely on the to-do list for further down the line.

Real Name
    Filip

Don't want to put you off with your idea Paul but Starogyne Repens has a reputation of a very demanding plant in terms of light , ferts and Co2 demands .
    Since every water has its own chemistry and every tank is a different story , the best bet would be to at least try to grow it on your wood and see how it goes . Don't get your hopes up , and you may end up with a pleasant suprise in the end .

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    Don't want to put you off with your idea Paul but Starogyne Repens has a reputation of a very demanding plant in terms of light , ferts and Co2 demands .
    Since every water has its own chemistry and every tank is a different story , the best bet would be to at least try to grow it on your wood and see how it goes . Don't get your hopes up , and you may end up with a pleasant suprise in the end .
    Agreed. It takes a lot of light, ferts and co2 to carpet most plants. I'm wondering if just using a large amount attached to wood would work. Essentially keeping it alive and healthy and using a large amount to cover the wood may be possible? I'd definitely be interested to see

Definitely remember to trim regularly. Keeping it from ground "up" will help it to grow "out"
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Real Name
    Julian

Interesting keep us updated .
    Breeding , interest and goals Wilds Heckels and Cuipeuas and a few Domestics pairs with occasional fry as well as Angels fancy Plecos , corys and shrimps.

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Thanks for the info, would like to give it a try once the fish have done most of their growing. Anu ias and java ferns grow well in my other tanks, got 2 Bucephalandra teia plants to try out but all the leaves have melted, waiting to see if anything grows back. I can always use anubias or java ferns but, although not chasing a biotope setup (that anyway would be out of keeping with domestic hybrid discus, I'd like to keep it in the coreect continent at least. As always grateful for any advice about other southamerican epiphytic alternatives. Ciao

Real Name
    Julian

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sabucchi View Post
    Hi, I would like advice abput growing Staurogyne repens on wood as an epiphyte rather than in the substrate as carpeting. In a month I should be getting a dozen juvies to grow out in a 100 gal BB but once grown I have an oak "tree" kind of ready to go in (cut it in Aprill and left it to bake in the mediterranean sun but bark still stuck pretty firm). So probably the branch will not hp on the tank for another 18 months but then I would line some kind of "canopy" growing on the top branches. Would like Staurogyne repens as it is Southamerican (not looking to create a biotope, just something a little more relevant to the origin) and some folks say it can work, any advice? Other than that I am planning to add yust a thin layer of fine pale sand and possibly a potted amazon sword in each back corner. Ciao
    I think I recognize that beer, If that from Sardegna . I just came from Palau/ La Madalena about a couple weeks ago.
    Breeding , interest and goals Wilds Heckels and Cuipeuas and a few Domestics pairs with occasional fry as well as Angels fancy Plecos , corys and shrimps.

Real Name
    Julian

I also suggest that you try to put that branch in a container with water a let it soak for a few weeks, when you check it will probably will have a sulfide smell like rotten eggs, but it will be easier to peel off the Bark, and you will have less issues with your tank as will be less tannin to deal with for the Plants less demanded try Anubias or Java ferns, I know some people adhere to the bio-tope . but the true is most Anubias these days come from green houses in Europe and is being long time that their left Africa.

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Hi you are correct, the beer is from Sardinia, good lager! The tank will have no decor whatsoever in it for at least another year. The bark is now off the oak branch, just a little more sanding required. As when I was setting up the tank I made some tabs with silicone on the lateral glass panes to keep the branch in place/submerged I was toying with the idea of sealing the wood (with aquarium safe Plastivel) to make it last longer and prevent it staining the water. I have different varieties of anubia and java fern in some of the other tanks, tried some bucephalandra but all the leaves have melted and not regrown. The idea behind Staurogyne was to do something different. I am looking for plants I can fix to the top branches, so close to the surface (but I have very little headroom between the surface and the cover for emersed growth)

Real Name
    Julian

I see you have figure out the drift wood situation, Staurogyne is quite demanding, I would suggest amazon chain sword, they are from the same location they would spread over the wood as they do horizontal runners that connect each other, people use it to cover the bottom the same way that Staurogyne, but are way more easy to take care, and I have a few of the runners currently hanging in mid-water root are white and healthy. as you already know for driftwood you need plants that can thrive just getting nutrients straight from the water column like (anubias java fern). I also use in the past a photos and they do really well keeping the nitrate down , they also spray like a vine and float in the water, the only thing they are not actually an aquatic plant.