ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Discus laid eggs!!!

Real Name
    Tanja

Talking Discus laid eggs!!!

Okay, long story short, all of my discus were in a quarantine tank for about a month and I moved two of them home into a 90 gallon tank 4 days ago and now I have eggs!! Has anybody kept a breeding pair in the same tank with other discus before? Will there be too much aggression now if I re-unite them? I don't want to make the others homeless... so what should I do? Any ideas or stories to share, anyone?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Matt

Default Re: Discus laid eggs!!!

So cool! Is this their first time? What strains are they? Maybe sometime you could breed them for fry?

If you don’t want aggression, remove, scrape off the eggs. The parents will eat them and once you add the other discus back they won’t have anything to protect/be aggressive about. This has worked for me when my pairs get really aggressive. I had a pair that was so fearless they would lay eggs in a community tank and guard the eggs like there is no tomorrow.

Real Name
    Tanja

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusDish View Post
    So cool! Is this their first time? What strains are they? Maybe sometime you could breed them for fry?

If you don’t want aggression, remove, scrape off the eggs. The parents will eat them and once you add the other discus back they won’t have anything to protect/be aggressive about. This has worked for me when my pairs get really aggressive. I had a pair that was so fearless they would lay eggs in a community tank and guard the eggs like there is no tomorrow.
    That sounds like a good idea. They're brilliant turquoise from Discus Hans! I got them directly from his store in Maryland. I actually thought about keeping only this pair and giving away the other 4. But I don't want to take them to a fish store to die. I didn't even know I had a pair while they were in quarantine LoL!

Consider if you really want to be a discus breeder. Its quite a commitment, if you want to make good fish.

My fish have just started spawning in my tank and they're not especially aggressive at all. I've got 2 females that spawn with the same male? (sex not definite). There are 12 discus in my tanks. The first three batches of eggs got eaten after 24 hours, the latest are approaching 48 hrs and are still being cared for. Really I'm not that excited, if I ever see wrigglers from a nice pair I might consider setting up a breeding tank, just to try and make myself some trophy fish (if i can) but it would be lots of work.

Good work anyways, chances are they'll keep at it laying again and again.
    My tank - http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?135251-coopers-6x2x2&highlight=

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

It really depends on the pair Tanya. I had a pair in a 125g with 6 other adult discus that were very intolerant of the other fish coming near them when spawning. The first time they had wigglers they actually killed a 6" red panda in 3 hours while I was out. I divided the tank and hated how it looked so I tried reintroducing them to the group after 3 months. It didn't work out and I had to sell them. I had another pair form and spawn regularly in the same group and happily coexisted with the others. You'll just have to give it a go and see what happens to know with your particular pair/group. You can buy fancy clear acrylic dividers that are more aesthetically pleasing than the ugly egg crate I used. Lol

Real Name
    Matt

Good luck.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Congrats, Tanja! how's deadilus doing?

Real Name
    Tanja

Quote Originally Posted by Mando View Post
    Congrats, Tanja! how's deadilus doing?
    Thank you, Mando! He's colored back up fully this week. He's the male in my breeding pair, can you believe it!

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by Tanja View Post
    Thank you, Mando! He's colored back up fully this week. He's the male in my breeding pair, can you believe it!
    awesome! that's good to hear. You should have wigglers by tomorrow. How are the eggs doing?

Real Name
    Brian

Is that the jumper?

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    Is that the jumper?
    Yep! Incredible, isn’t it?

Real Name
    Tanja

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    Is that the jumper?
    LoL yes he is Brian! I cured him with 3x daily water changes and fritz guard. No salt since they had been through so much of it already.

Quote Originally Posted by Mando View Post
    You should have wigglers by tomorrow. How are the eggs doing?
    They were eaten by the next morning unfortunately. They laid again and today they were gone again LoL!

To me the eggs in the photo look white already. Could be that your water is too hard for them to hatch.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Tanja

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    To me the eggs in the photo look white already. Could be that your water is too hard for them to hatch.
    That is a possibility. My GH out of the tap is 5 and KH is 1-2.

That should be OK. Do you know your TDS?
    Mama Bear

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast