AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 27 of 34 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you like FISHING!

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Default Re: Do you like FISHING!

Quote Originally Posted by matt2426 View Post
    thanks ya it was a good fight i was looking at some of the fish youll caught on this post you have caught some huge fish!

Hi Matt. Yes i've caught a few big ones, but as you know its all relative to tackle used...a 900lb marlin pulling on 42lb drag ....or a 16lb trout pulling on 2lb drag...both get me hiped up. Love seeing line screaming off the real no matter how big the catch is.

You mentioned that you caught your Musky on a 'top water bait topper stopper'. Sounds interesting...what is that?

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    Is Eagle Lake just west of Dryden in Ontario? My brothers live up there. Great area to fish and hunt!
    Hi Dan You hunt as well!? Why am i not surprised? I think its just our love for the great outdoors. Don't want to turn this into a hunting thread, as i respect that not everyone likes it, and i want to keep it so everyone can share fishing info on here. Maybe someone can start a hunting thread. I'll be sure to chime in on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
    Dang, nice one! I've never hooked one of those. Closest was pickerel
    Hi Jack.
    Now there's another species i haven't heard off. Care to share a pic and some information on your Pickeral? I like seeing all the other species and methods of catching them, not to mention all the cool locations.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenene View Post
    Yes! I like fishing Joe! I’ve been at it for about 2 full days now!!! Stop laughing! There’s a reason why I just got the bug. My family belongs to a local sailing club. It’s on a beautiful piece of waterfront property on Irondequoit Bay off of Lake Ontario. The club gives members access 24/7 to enjoy the property for activities other than sailing. My sister and I camped there recently and I noticed some pretty large fish jumping around us as we swam. Bringing back memories of fishing with my dad as a child, I decided to revisit the idea. I found an insane garage sale full of rods, reels and tackle. I got everything I needed for a steal. A few YouTube videos later and some phenomenal expert advice from a great friend and I’m having a blast. I’m so hooked. I have tons to learn and find learning and practicing as much fun and challenging as actually fishing. Learning the feeding habits and behavior of the different species of fish, the art of tying perfect knots and all of the skills required to be successful simply fascinate me. This will be an incredible activity to do at the sail club as well as the many other places I visit. With the beautiful Finger Lakes and water all around me... I can’t believe I never thought to get back into it before! It’s so much fun! I see your passion here Joe! I’ll be following this post from now on. Enjoying watching others and maybe learning something new. Thank you! Maybe the next pic I post will have a fish in it!
    Hi Jenene. Nice seeing you here. Two full days of fishing is a good long session, and it looks like you are indeed 'hooked'...Pardon the punt. Sounds like you have a good deal with your sailing club, which may restrict the amount of traffic fishing that area. Do you know what species of fish are in Irondequoit Bay? Would like to know. I'm thinking bass species? How are you fishing for them? Are you using lures or bait? I think you are on the right track being interested in how fish feed and behave, and its good that you didn't have to pay top dollar for all your gear, as it can get very expensive. Try not to get caught up in all that for awhile till you see if you want to continue perusing it. Its handy having someone steer you in the right direction too. I'm sure you've been in a tackle shop and seen the vast range of gear available. I truly believe that 'lures' catch more fishermen ( fisher people) than fish, but with the right guidance and information you can pick a few that will do the job.
    Like you, i was introduced to fishing by my dad while i was still very young. In turn l have introduced my kids to the hobby, and now my grandchildren. Hopefully they will pick it up and enjoy what i have for so many years, and also give them lovely memories like i have of my dad.
    Good luck with your new hobby, and i hope you get much enjoyment out of it..... Looking forward to seeing your first catch.
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Hi Joe!

There are a few varieties of fish in the bay. Large and small mouth bass, pike and perch. Pretty sure bass are the majority of what’s coming out of there.

Yes, it is nice having the sailing club as a base, it’s close by - about a 7 minute drive. Unfortunately by the research I’ve done, Bass are not very activing feeding in the warm summer months. Soon they will start schooling and more actively feeding as the fall season moves in. I’ve been using lures. The scented soft plastics have gotten a few bites but I’ve lost the two fish I had on the line. I think it’s a combination of me not sinking the hook properly yet and trying to pull one out without a net. Watching him shake loose and bounce across the dock and back into the water taught me that lesson. The good news is I tend to make a mistake one time. Next time he won’t be so lucky.

Your kids and grandkids are lucky to have such an experienced fisherman to model after. I’m lucky enough to have gotten some great advice but no one to come with me to show me first hand. Sometimes I feel like I’m feeling my way in the dark.
    It’s all really interesting and I consider it like a game. Lots of rules, many strategies and game pieces to change up. The only difference is I can’t lose this game. Even not catching a thing I leave relaxed and so happy to have spent the time. I’m sure you get that. It’s an excuse to get away, get outside and just breathe.

Thanks for the advice. I love what you said about the lures catching more fisherman than fish. I could have easily fallen into that. They are so colorful and interesting. As tempting as jewelry or candy.... I’m behaving... showing some restraint. Kind of...

Well you asked for a pic of my first catch. I must say I’ll never forget it....because I was laughing so hard I almost fell off the dock. That laugh alone beats any big fish I may have snagged... I hear the really tiny ones are almost harder to get. I have no idea how it got the hook into it’s mouth...I have no idea how I got it out but he lived to go and redeem his dignity. Mine.. not so much but who cares... the laugh was so worth it.

FC25914A-B16C-4C71-9BC4-5B7B8A22B82E.jpg
    Last edited by Jenene; 08-25-2018 at 12:25 PM.
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by Jenene View Post
    Hi Joe!

There are a few varieties of fish in the bay. Large and small mouth bass, pike and perch. Pretty sure bass are the majority of what’s coming out of there.

Yes, it is nice having the sailing club as a base, it’s close by - about a 7 minute drive. Unfortunately by the research I’ve done, Bass are not very activing feeding in the warm summer months. Soon they will start schooling and more actively feeding as the fall season moves in. I’ve been using lures. The scented soft plastics have gotten a few bites but I’ve lost the two fish I had on the line. I think it’s a combination of me not sinking the hook properly yet and trying to pull one out without a net. Watching him shake loose and bounce across the dock and back into the water taught me that lesson. The good news is I tend to make a mistake one time. Next time he won’t be so lucky.

Your kids and grandkids are lucky to have such an experienced fisherman to model after. I’m lucky enough to have gotten some great advice but no one to come with me to show me first hand. Sometimes I feel like I’m feeling my way in the dark.
    It’s all really interesting and I consider it like a game. Lots of rules, many strategies and game pieces to change up. The only difference is I can’t lose this game. Even not catching a thing I leave relaxed and so happy to have spent the time. I’m sure you get that. It’s an excuse to get away, get outside and just breathe.

Thanks for the advice. I love what you said about the lures catching more fisherman than fish. I could have easily fallen into that. They are so colorful and interesting. As tempting as jewelry or candy.... I’m behaving... showing some restraint. Kind of...

Well you asked for a pic of my first catch. I must say I’ll never forget it....because I was laughing so hard I almost fell off the dock. That laugh alone beats any big fish I may have snagged... I hear the really tiny ones are almost harder to get. I have no idea how it got the hook into it’s mouth...I have no idea how I got it out but he lived to go and redeem his dignity. Mine.. not so much but who cares... the laugh was so worth it.
    Well from your research that means that the bass bite is only going to get better. Aren't you getting towards the end of your summer now? We're the opposite. Winter is nearly over and coming into the spring, which will see our snapper come into the bay to spawn. I went out for a fish over the weekend and bagged out on squid. Went to my snapper spot and found some good marks on the sounder too, though my bait wasn't tempting enough to entice a bite. Once the water warms up a few more degrees they will become more active, which is the opposite to your bass. At least you're out there having a go and practicing, and more importantly enjoying yourself in the process.

Congratulations on your first catch! What a beauty... hahaha. At least you know that you're on the right track, and that they can only get bigger from here....Its good seeing you enjoying your new found hobby.

Registered Member

two utes.topperperch_331_general_1024x1024.jpg this is the topper stopper you real it in real slow ive caught alot of fish on this bait

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

I do hunt Joe. I am an avid lover of the great outdoors for sure. Part of my heritage growing up bare foot in Aus. I bagged a nice 4yr old buck on the 1st day I ever hunted. I butchered it myself and we enjoyed the venison for many months. That was 4 years ago, and despite many hours in my deer stand, is still the only deer I have harvested. Lol
    On another note, Pickerel is another name for walleye. Name dependent on which part of NTH America you live in and ahuch generation you're part of.
    Nice work Jenene! Fun times!

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by matt2426 View Post
    two utes.topperperch_331_general_1024x1024.jpg this is the topper stopper you real it in real slow ive caught alot of fish on this bait
    Thanks Matt. I have one of those. You can feel the vibration from the spinning blades on the front and back of the lure through the line, so i can see how fish would hone in on it.

I do hunt Joe. I am an avid lover of the great outdoors for sure. Part of my heritage growing up bare foot in Aus. I bagged a nice 4yr old buck on the 1st day I ever hunted. I butchered it myself and we enjoyed the venison for many months. That was 4 years ago, and despite many hours in my deer stand, is still the only deer I have harvested. Lol
    On another note, Pickerel is another name for walleye. Name dependent on which part of NTH America you live in and ahuch generation you're part of.
    Nice work Jenene! Fun times!
    Thats great Dan. I've had a few goes at our Sambar deer but was never successful. The only chance i get to eat venison is at the yearly fare. Thanks for the information about Pickerel too.

Real Name
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by two utes View Post
    Thats great Dan. I've had a few goes at our Sambar deer but was never successful. The only chance i get to eat venison is at the yearly fare. Thanks for the information about Pickerel too.
    No worries mate. We moved 4 hours south recently to Cincinnati OH. I scouted my new hunting location for the 1st time yesterday. Looks very promising, but then so did where I hunted last year. LOL. You just never know. The year before last I had deer on my trail cam almost every night but I didn't see a single 1 all season during hunting hours. It is illegal to hunt here until 30 minutes before sunrise and up until 30 minutes after sundown. Sneaky buggers! Fed em all winter, but they didn't feed me haha...will keep you posted mate! I'm prophesying this year will be my year to get back on the score board.
    Last edited by danotaylor; 08-29-2018 at 03:46 AM.

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

No worries mate. We moved 4 hours south recently to Cincinnati OH. I scouted my new hunting location for the 1st time yesterday. Looks very promising, but then so did where I hunted last year. LOL. You just never know. The year before last I had deer on my trail cam almost every night but I didn't see a single 1 all season during hunting hours. It is illegal to hunt here until 30 minutes before sunrise and up until 30 minutes after sundown. Sneaky buggers! Fed em all winter, but they didn't feed me haha...will keep you posted mate! I'm prophesying this year will be my year to get back on the score board.
    The hunting trip with the fishing club friends was good. We shot about 14 pigs and cleared up a few feral goats as well. I did like the social side of the trip, but i must say i really prefer to go fishing.

42925976_10156340583445266_4019829655203741696_o.jpg

With the weather getting better and the bay water temp coming up, i knew the snapper wouldn't be far from coming in to spawn, so i thought id sneak away to North Queensland for a quick trip with some friends and a spot of barramundi fishing. We caught lots of these 'rat' size barra in one of the local creaks using live poddy mullet.

43110138_10156351119865266_8751969135254044672_n.jpg

Back in the bay the water temp was getting up to around the 14 degree Celsius mark and the large squid coming into shallower water to lay their eggs. I caught the biggest squid ive ever seen and decided to release it since we already had enough smaller, and better eating ones for the table

44370897_10156379203325266_3539013044283637760_n.jpg44083859_10156379203435266_8822439017321594880_n.jpg

I checked out my usual marks to try and locate any snapper already in, and marked up a good school on my fish finder, but they were only smaller sized pinkies

44117072_10156379203260266_2751877673595699200_n.jpg

Last Sunday our fishing club was involved with an event called 'Mates Day' where we were able to give people with disabilities, and their carers the opportunity to go fishing. The look on our guests faces where priceless when we helped them catch this 3.5 kg snapper

44513246_2357363037625761_7328610354815041536_n.jpg

With the temp up around the 16 degree mark on my side of the bay, and hearing some god reports, i went out in the early hours of the morning and bagged a few.
    Also came hope with a nice feed of flathead which we ate last night, and by bag limit of squid.
    A couple of my friends were out on their Kayaks, and i enjoyed a beer and some prawns with them...

Copy of 44836579_10156396002075266_4199038325270511616_n.jpg43519196_10156396002120266_79412089877168128_n.jpg44729226_10156396002180266_5245358900504428544_n.jpg44802457_10156396002220266_3576248310500950016_n.jpg

I love fishing and being on the water where ever it may be.

any one else been out for a fish lately?

Real Name
    Ralph

Whenever I'm having a negative kind of day I turn to this thread which always seems to perk up my spirits big time and I'm good as renewed.
    Joe's fishing trip pics and videos is the simple cure without the need for meds.
    Thanks Joe

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by Altum Nut View Post
    Whenever I'm having a negative kind of day I turn to this thread which always seems to perk up my spirits big time and I'm good as renewed.
    Joe's fishing trip pics and videos is the simple cure without the need for meds.
    Thanks Joe

...Ralph
    That's funny Ralph, but what would make you feel lots better is if you grabbed a fishing pole and went fishing somewhere....Catching fish has nothing to do with it.

Works for me

Real Name
    Ralph

Ha-Ha...just my point...most of our rivers are out of season this time of year and most friends who have boats have been pulled out the water in hibernation for the winter months. So my only source of rehabilitation is lurking for fishing related posts as yours. Keep them coming my friend as we have long winters.

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by Altum Nut View Post
    Ha-Ha...just my point...most of our rivers are out of season this time of year and most friends who have boats have been pulled out the water in hibernation for the winter months. So my only source of rehabilitation is lurking for fishing related posts as yours. Keep them coming my friend as we have long winters.

...Ralph
    I'll do my best

Real Name
    Daniel

Nice boar Joe...I'll be havin myself some venison here soon...I hope LOL.

Seeing your pics makes me really miss fishing aussie waters...fresh & salt, so much variety...I reckon I'd give me left n*t for a feed of bay pinkie, prawns & fresh calamari right now, haha...we're coming home to Stradbroke Island in QLD to see my folks in May next year for 2.5 weeks...looking forward to some saltwater action!

Take it easy mate,

Danny

Real Name
    Dave

I enjoy fishing, but haven't been in a few years.

We have a nice salmon and steelhead run here on the Columbia and Umatilla Rivers (I am in north eastern Oregon in the desert). It takes the fish about 10 days to get to us from the mouth of the Columbia.

We also hunt Mule deer, Cougar, Coyote out here.

I didn't harvest any deer last year, and didn't buy tags this year, but the two previous years I harvested two nice three point bucks (three points on each side).
    God is the artist, he merely allows me to see and capture his work . http://davesphotography7055.zenfolio.com/ coupon code: angelfish
    some of my work accepted by Pentax (the camera bodies I use): http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidgray

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by dagray View Post
    I enjoy fishing, but haven't been in a few years.

We have a nice salmon and steelhead run here on the Columbia and Umatilla Rivers (I am in north eastern Oregon in the desert). It takes the fish about 10 days to get to us from the mouth of the Columbia.

We also hunt Mule deer, Cougar, Coyote out here.

I didn't harvest any deer last year, and didn't buy tags this year, but the two previous years I harvested two nice three point bucks (three points on each side).
    Thanks for chiming in Dave.

l hear those runs can be insane. Would love to hear more about it, and if you have any old pics of your captures please share.

Page 27 of 34 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast