ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The utmost best gill fluke cure

Default The utmost best gill fluke cure

What is the utmost best way to kill gill flukes...Pound for pound.......As I been here on Simply for awhile, would love to hear everyones input.

Default Re: The utmost best gill fluke cure

Quote Originally Posted by moik View Post
    What is the utmost best way to kill gill flukes...Pound for pound.......As I been here on Simply for awhile, would love to hear everyones input.
    Although I have never used them, I hear fluke tabs are pretty effective. I still go with PraziPro and it's effective for me.

I must add, never really sure of eradicating them completely but at least holding them down to a number where my discus seem to not be unaffected.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Banned

I've never tried it on discus but Jansen SupaVerm which is an oral sheep drench for flukes and worms containing closantel and mebendazole works 100% every time on koi. It kills goldfish mind you.

I've heard of one person on BIDKA mention using it with success. Maybe Paul can expand on it's use with Discus

This chem is sold in the UK but imported by the koi hobby....cheap and a little bit will do.

G

Thanks for the replies. I have seen some conflicting replies on some posts with variuos problems. Just curious to hear what is todays best cure for this old age problem. Graham, I would love to hear more on your approach to this. Prazi-pro, formalin, fluke tabs, which one is a better overall kill rate and least amount of negative factors also.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    I've never tried it on discus but Jansen SupaVerm which is an oral sheep drench for flukes and worms containing closantel and mebendazole works 100% every time on koi. It kills goldfish mind you.

I've heard of one person on BIDKA mention using it with success. Maybe Paul can expand on it's use with Discus

This chem is sold in the UK but imported by the koi hobby....cheap and a little bit will do.

G
    Sounds like something that could be tested on my stunted (hero) fish if they ever come down with an overwhelming fluke infestation. I would like to try it if I could get some of the stuff.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

I've never used it G so don't have any experience to draw on here. There are conflicting reports about the dosage too.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Banned

Eddie contact any of the koi breeders or major dealers, You shouldn't have a problem getting it. All the japanese breeders use it on thier koi.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by pcsb23 View Post
    I've never used it G so don't have any experience to draw on here. There are conflicting reports about the dosage too.
    ''

Paul I forget who mentioned it on BIDKA and the dose they used.

For koi it's 1ml per 100gals

G

EDIT the discussion on SV is here on BIDKA

http://forum.bidka.org/showthread.ph...perVerm&page=4
    Last edited by Graham; 01-28-2009 at 04:18 PM.

I rotate between Prazi, PP and formalin. I use one of them at least once a month weather they need it or not due to large numbers of fish in one tank. I prefer potassium promagnte though, Like any med it should be respected.

Ed

Eddie contact any of the koi breeders or major dealers, You shouldn't have a problem getting it. All the japanese breeders use it on thier koi.
    Thanks Graham, I didn't even think about that. Definitely a lot of koi dealers/keepers in Okinawa.

Thanks
    Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

I have tried prazi and formalin in the past, but PP I steer away from.For fear of overdosing. What is the recommended dosing for PP? Prazi and formalin with good results ,but not any real exceptional kill rates. Would like to fgure out how to knock them back with out the thought of a reoccurring issue.Maybe I am just being to hopefull for a cure to this long on going topic . I am putting more effort into the disease end of the hooby to better educate and understand these diseases to further my knowledge. A microscope is definitly becoming an issue to have to explore these issues as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by moik View Post
    I have tried prazi and formalin in the past, but PP I steer away from.For fear of overdosing. What is the recommended dosing for PP? Prazi and formalin with good results ,but not any real exceptional kill rates. Would like to fgure out how to knock them back with out the thought of a reoccurring issue.Maybe I am just being to hopefull for a cure to this long on going topic . I am putting more effort into the disease end of the hooby to better educate and understand these diseases to further my knowledge. A microscope is definitly becoming an issue to have to explore these issues as a whole.

I actually read somewhere that PP did little to nothing for flukes.

I know what you mean Moik about the scope, I am getting one also since it does take all the guess work out.

For PraziPro I do a 21 day treatment, treating 3 days on 4 days off for 3 weeks. Doing this would obviously get old for a monthly treatment so I do it quarterly and only if there is any symptoms.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyDiscus View Post
    I rotate between Prazi, PP and formalin. I use one of them at least once a month weather they need it or not due to large numbers of fish in one tank. I prefer potassium promagnte though, Like any med it should be respected.

Ed
    Hey Ed, do you normally use a short or extended bath for PP treatment?

Thanks
    Visit Eddie's Place

I would love to hear more about this Supaverm for flukes..Looks very promising. Is it avaliable in the USA? Could it be in the USA under another name?

Actually PP kills flukes very well. The problem is you can't do an ongoing treatment with it, which you need to do with flukes, because it will damage the fish's gills if used too frequently.
    Prazi works well for a bad case of flukes, but you need to do a 21 day treatment. Also some fluke strains have developed a resistance to prazi. I use prazi on a three day repetative cycle. Day 1 50% wc and full dose, Day 2 50% wc and 1/2 dose, day 3 50% wc and no dose. Repeat this 3 day cycle for 21 days.
    I've never used formalin for long term flukes treatments but IME it works well for ridding fry of flukes in a couple of doses.
    Unfortunetly Supaverm is supposedly very unpredictable on discus. It works well one time and kills the discus the next. If anyone decides to test it out I'd love to hear the results.

Kacey

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast