AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Discus clamped fins and white patch in tail

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Karthic

Default Discus clamped fins and white patch in tail

Hi,

Im From India and this is my first post here, I got 3 discus from a known friend yesterday and one discus has clamped fins and some white patches on its tail....The other two are fine....It was like that in my friends place itself...

All of them are eating fine but this one(i think pigeon blood?) has this issue...Could someone please tell me how to fix this?

My tank is 32 gallon and nitrates are around 20ppm, RO water with TDS 100, ph 6.5, Temp 28C,

I have added 6 tb.sp of rock salt , Will that help? How long should i add it? Attached some pics and Video below...Please help...

20190104_224745.mp4_snapshot_00.37.jpg
    20190104_224745.mp4_snapshot_00.07.jpg
    20190104_224745.mp4_snapshot_00.05.jpg

https://youtu.be/VW3o7gSBYCY
    Last edited by josephkarthic; 01-05-2019 at 09:24 AM. Reason: added video

Default Re: Discus clamped fins and white patch in tail

Hi Joseph,
    Its possible this is the result of discus aggression towards each other. Do you see any tail nipping or chasing going on? The white area would be opportunistic fungus attacking damaged tissue.

The salt you added... 6 tablespoons per 32 gallon is good for stress but for this probably will have little effect. With a measuring spoon treat with 1 level tablespoon table salt per 2 gals water.Maintain that
    concentration for 7 days and see how it goes. Maintain good water changes, daily would be best in this case of about 50% or more.

Keep an eye out for aggression as the main cause.

hth,
    Al

Ps.. Welcome to SimplyDiscus!
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 01-05-2019 at 09:28 AM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Karthic

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Hi Karthic,
    Its possible this is the result of discus aggression towards each other. Do you see any tail nipping or chasing going on? The white area would be opportunistic fungus attacking damaged tissue.

The salt you added... 6 tablespoons per 32 gallon is good for stress but for this probably will have little effect. With a measuring spoon treat with 1 level tablespoon table salt per 2 gals water.Maintain that
    concentration for 7 days and see how it goes. Maintain good water changes, daily would be best in this case of about 50% or more.

hth,
    Al
    Thanks for your response, Yes there were aggression earlier and now it seems sorted out between these three except feeding time, but not so aggressive fights and all...I believe these fungus are from previous fin nipping between them. Ok I will add 16 tablespoon as you advised and check....

I also added a video just before your reply... https://youtu.be/VW3o7gSBYCY

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Karthic

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Hi Joseph,

hth,
    Al
    I take back my previous comment, Now the Tables Have Turned, The Sick pigeon suddenly got super strength after adding salt and now fighting with the big blue one...
    It also eats all the pellets which is at the bottom of a corner and its defending as its territory and not allowing the other two to eat them, It keeps on fighting with the blue fish and the blue one also doesnt give up....The fight is happening for the past 30 mins as i write this...

Now it looks a serious issue...What can i do to prevent this fight? Should i add another pair to spread aggression? If so does a 32 gallon tank hold 5 discus with 20% water change everyday? Please help me..

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Johney

Too small for 5 discus. Either keep only 2 or get a bigger tank. If you have 5, then do more than 20 percent due to heavy bioload...do a big water change and change up any decorations, then add the quarantined new discus..or medicate the whole tank with metro with your new group.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Karthic

Quote Originally Posted by Johney Blaze View Post
    Too small for 5 discus. Either keep only 2 or get a bigger tank. If you have 5, then do more than 20 percent due to heavy bioload...do a big water change and change up any decorations, then add the quarantined new discus..or medicate the whole tank with metro with your new group.
    Thanks, but that aggressive pigeon calmed down after a day... But he only eats the pellet or blood worms , the other two are not touching the pellets and only eats blood worms... How do i make them eat pellets?