AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Pics of my planted discus tank.

Registered Member

Default Re: Pics of my planted discus tank.

what is the red and blue in the 4th picture?

Real Name
    Tom

That’s a discus I bought at a lfs. No clue what it’s called.A039BE6B-4B55-4174-9ECF-39BDD13F917E.jpgi got 2 of themE240EA49-8F23-4F74-B75E-7B5C25A2D090.jpg

Registered Member

It's most interesting and striking, Tom. They suggest Dark Angel in a way to me.

Real Name
    Tom

Funny I have one of Hans dark angels7B27E20D-71E3-48A2-9E77-8F575D822DB5.jpg it was supposed to be a silver pigeon blood but he sent this instead. Go figure!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Funny I have one of Hans dark angels7B27E20D-71E3-48A2-9E77-8F575D822DB5.jpg it was supposed to be a silver pigeon blood but he sent this instead. Go figure!
    I like it!

Real Name
    Tom

Registered Member

In the reds females tend to be redder and because of dorsal fin I would guess female for this one.

Real Name
    Tom

Thanks peewee but I’m talking about the orange one in the 2 pics before . Just wondering if any in the 125 are male. It’s been a very calm tank with no attempts at breeding.

Registered Member

Thanks peewee but I’m talking about the orange one in the 2 pics before . Just wondering if any in the 125 are male. It’s been a very calm tank with no attempts at breeding.
    Are you asking because you want to breed it? Do you have an empty breeder? Maybe a 20 gallon? Try putting the orange into the tank along with two others that have streamers on the dorsal. See what happens. I guess the orange to be a female. I was talking to Kenny last week and because I have all males, except for one, I asked him to send to me females. As good as he is and as long as he has been involved with discus he said that he can only guess unless he sees a breeding tube but he was going to try. That based on his best guess.

Real Name
    Tom

Nope no intentions on breeding. Just wondering why it hasn’t happened? Is it because the planted tank? Or are all 13 female? What are the odds.

Registered Member

Nope no intentions on breeding. Just wondering why it hasn’t happened? Is it because the planted tank? Or are all 13 female? What are the odds.
    Thirteen will find you a pair. I think that a fish would be more at home in a planted tank rather then a bare one. I have 5 suspected male and 1 female based on my best guess. How old are the fish? They may not yet be developed yet. Water change, temperature change, ph change, food change all could trigger. If you know a storm is coming try a water change prior to the storm. I have said before that back in the day when there mostly only wild and first or second generation wild to be had it was pretty easy to breed discus. Now it seems dang hard to do. In breeding, cross breeding, out breeding, hormones, factory food and factory fish seem to have taken something out of these fish at the cost of decoration, size, and color. I think it was either willie or Al said that growth hormones can lead to sterilization. If indeed true then any sterile fish won't have reproductive interests.

Real Name
    Tom

I'll guess the orange is a female .
    Looking at the group photo I don't see any nuchal humps ?
    I am not skilled sexing discus but would think if there was a pair they would have spawned by now ?
    That or it is possible with all the mixed colors none of the opposite sex want to mate up with a dis similar color ??
    I don't believe that is a hard rule but do think some discus can be picky like that and have heard before given the choice they like to pair with their own ?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Registered Member

If they can picky eaters they can just as well be picky partner pickers too.

Real Name
    Tom

Not looking to breed was just wondering. The discus have been with me for a year to just over a year. All but 2 were bought at the 2-2 1/2 size.

Real Name
    Tom

Today’s pics . Tanks doing good. Though the rams do not live as long at this temp. All of my 2yr old rams have died. I still have 6 left that are about 6months. I’ve kept rams in my other tanks at 78-79 and they lived for up to 5 years. So my opinion is this water temp is to warm for rams.82AEA692-264A-4962-B54D-F1CAEA273039.jpgB8D0BF58-0FAF-49AD-9EDE-54A1EDAC288D.jpg695F9E9F-728F-4080-9E93-3FEC973E9613.jpg9A3CCB04-CB11-4C63-BE8F-98A2C2DF5833.jpg

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast