AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Live black worm

Registered Member

Default Live black worm

how long will a pound of live black worms last of I feed 7 adult discus twice a day? Don't want to order a pound and throw away most of it as they all died.

Default Re: Live black worm

They won't die if you rinse them daily.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Oh Cool. Good to know. Any idea how long it will last if I feed 7 adults 2x-3x a day?

I can't even guess. I'd buy 5 lbs at a time and feed them until I'd fed them all up.
    Mama Bear

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

1lb is a lot of worms and a lot of tubs you have to clean daily. You have to spread that LB across a few tupperware and clean daily even if you're not using that tub. I did it once and I will never do it again unless I quadruple my tanks and stock. Since you're only feeding 7 discus, I would find a good local source were you could buy a 1/4lb at a time. 1/4lbs lasts me about a week feeding 7 juvie discus 2x/day and 13 adult discus 1x/day.

It's also hard to calculate how long a LB would last as there is no set feeding proportions. I use a plastic fork to feed and I basically hook and drop. Sometimes i'll pinch with my fingers and drop whatever I grabbed. Again, hard to tell how much you grab each time unless you're super anal and you weigh each feeding. lol

Keep in mind that buying locally saves you freight. Unfortunately, the source I bought the 1 lb from (one of two big reputable sellers), their freight did not scale by weight. if you buy 1/4lb or 1 lb, you will pay the same freight as if you're buying 2lbs. I found a local shop that buys 60lbs a week (which dilutes freight charges) and sells me the 1/4 lb with the diluted freight cost. Even if I buy a LB from him, it will be cheaper than buying from his source directly since his 60lb order eats the freight charges.

I would only feed Live blackworm at the most once a day and vary their diet with a quality high protein flake, veggie flakes or pellets and freeze dried foods such as mysis shrimp, bloodworms, plankton and what not, I buy 1 1/2lb of live blackworm and keep them in the fridge in a 9x12 Tupper ware container and rinse them before each feeding, you may get a month out of 1lb depending on how much you feed

Jeanne

Registered Member

Thanks a lot. That helps a lot! I will just get small portions from a trusted LFS.

I, on the other hand, would buy a lbs from the source. Every time a product changes hands a mark up is added. I ordered that much because I was feeding an entire fish room. I used sweater boxes that I kept in the fridge along with the declorinated chilled water for their daily WC.
    Mama Bear

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I, on the other hand, would buy a lbs from the source. Every time a product changes hands a mark up is added. I ordered that much because I was feeding an entire fish room. I used sweater boxes that I kept in the fridge along with the declorinated chilled water for their daily WC.
    yes, but you have a lot of tanks and a big stock. We are talking about 7 discus here. I also keep chlorinated water for their wc and sometimes I do straight from tap.

Registered Member

The best way I've found to keep larger amounts (1-2 pounds) is a 5 gallon tank with a constant flow of water through it. Doesn't have to be high flow, just enough to keep them cleanish and oxygenated. I feed them flake food and instant mashed potatoes.

Registered Member

For mine after @3rd day, they seem to die off and water fouls rather quickly. Maybe, I have too much water in my container, I also use tap water to rinse. Does it make that of a huge difference using dechlorinated or chilled water to rinse?

thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by 4eye gold fish View Post
    For mine after @3rd day, they seem to die off and water fouls rather quickly. Maybe, I have too much water in my container, I also use tap water to rinse. Does it make that of a huge difference using dechlorinated or chilled water to rinse?

thanks,
    It makes all the difference in the world! The chlorinated water will kill them off in no time. Just get a gallon jug, fill it with tap water. add a touch of Prime, and stick the water in the fridge where you keep your worms. Rinse the worms daily in that water and they will live forever. I once bought 5 lbs at a time and I never had a problem. This was back when Dan still sold them.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Hi Liz, Thanks for the assured advice. I will do that next batch.