ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help with strain ID

Registered Member PorcelainChina59's Avatar
    Real Name
    Patricia A Ireland-Martin

Default Please help with strain ID

Unsure of identify 4 mixed discus. This is the only one I could get a picture of right now...batteries went dead.2 a half inch discus.jpgIt's about 2 1/2 inch.
    Last edited by PorcelainChina59; 12-07-2018 at 03:34 AM.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Re: Please help with strain ID

It is very early to tell for sure but looking at the pattern and early coloration my guess would be a red turquoise type...disclaimer; I kept discus in early 2000's and haven't been around them again until recent, so this is just my humble "stab" in the gene pool, lol

Real Name

Poor thing seems stunted to me--Let's just say my first experience of buying discus online about 3 weeks ago was a train wreck. I now know what to look for in a breeder thanks to simply. Only 4 survived 24 hours out of 10 discus and they had ick and flukes. Two of the four are stunted but seem to be growing more now.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

The eye to body ratio is a little off, but terribly so, but that is awful that so many died. Did the packing have heat pads and were they still warm when you received them? If not from a sponsor, may I ask where you sourced them from a "buyer beware" perspective?
    My 1st shipping experience ever was shockingly bad as well. Not with discus, but still awful.
    Sorry to hear Patti.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    The eye to body ratio is a little off, but terribly so, but that is awful that so many died. Did the packing have heat pads and were they still warm when you received them? If not from a sponsor, may I ask where you sourced them from a "buyer beware" perspective?
    My 1st shipping experience ever was shockingly bad as well. Not with discus, but still awful.
    Sorry to hear Patti.
    If it's ok to tell. I've reported to BBB and challenged my C/C charge which I never have done before but "SomethingsPhishy" will not work with me. One fish had no water and died right after I opened the box. (I had to put him in water fast....he literally wasn't covered anymore and was dark. His color came back but he never got off his side on the bottom and only took a couple breaths. The others died in mass within the next few hours...all dark and all with white spots and swollen gills. The four that survived looked the same but responded to salt first and than Life Guard Halo Shield with elevated temp and added air bubbler and I stayed up all night hold two under the filter bubbler as if resuscitating them with oxygen/cpr. I did many water changes through the next 4 days and the final four are still alive after 3 weeks--fighting but alive. (turned temp down in hopes to discourage aggression to 81) The now follow me everywhere...their tank is literally right up against my bed so I can watch them. They follow my finger and are growing like crazy now. They were roughly 1 1/2 -2 inches when I got them. They were also very thin now they are filling out. I don't expect a lot from them, but would like to know what they are just to know.

Real Name

Real Name

the last one is more yellow than the photo shows.

Real Name

I just measured the orange one and he is closer to 3 inches...woah hoa.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by PorcelainChina59 View Post
    If it's ok to tell. I've reported to BBB and challenged my C/C charge which I never have done before but "SomethingsPhishy" will not work with me.
    I didn't know he was still in business

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    I didn't know he was still in business
    Yep and I told him off in an email...told him it wasn't about me or him but about the fish. They had been suffering because of improper packing...to Alaska...in the cold and they were sick. My credit card company has put in a formal complaint also for unfair business practice and such. I would like to get someone to pursue cruelty charges. Single bagged with tiny little bags. The 11 discus I got that were dime size from a friend were double bagged and lots of the end turned into the ring closing them up. One got hurt in the corner of the bag but the rest were fine and still warm those 11 are still alive and swimming around like crazy and growing. All I know is once they are with me they are doing better. I even called the vet and a marine biologist friend. (when you have as many animals as I do the vet is practically on retainer--especially when you breed small dogs.)

Real Name
    Mervin

In the future look out for discus with a chipped eye such as the discus in the first pic.It's only a flaw but not desirable.Some may cull those.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    In the future look out for discus with a chipped eye such as the discus in the first pic.It's only a flaw but not desirable.Some may cull those.
    thank you Mervin. Yes I knew this. These fish were shipped to me as a group of 10...no picking out the fish on my part. Just one more thing to show that Somethingsphishy is not a good source for discus.

Real Name
    Steve

Hi Patti,
    Sorry to hear about the problems with your fish, but hopefully the survivors will do well under your care. Many of us started along the same route as you, only to have a bad experience, and eventually have our hobby saved by finding SD. I'm pretty sure Somethings.. has their own section in the product review area of the forum. Check out the Sponsors section for good sources next time around.
    Steve

Real Name
    Steve

Real Name

How does he stay in business. This has been going on since 2002. Here I ask that but I fell for his game 16 years later. It's so sad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast