ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flora in my tank

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tom

Default Flora in my tank

It has been 10 months since I received 16 tiny discus, the size of my thumb from Roguediscus. I started growing them out in a 40g breeder then moved to a 75g in the garage. Finally, they are moved in the house, to a 75g+40g sump to avoid the summer's heat.
    It has been an interesting journey with lots and lots of water changes in the middle of the night and one mistake that almost killed all of them. In the end looking at them now, I am happy with the result. Thanks Roguediscus for giving me such a fine stock to work with.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Re: Flora in my tank

your Altum's look beautiful mate...nicely done on the grow out...if you don't mind helping me learn, what was the one mistake that almost killed all of them? And how did you correct it to manage to keep the majority which are stunning specimens? Thanks for sharing!

What a great group of Fish! Nicely done with the raising of them.
    I have some blue snakes from Steve myself that I am really happy with. Steves a top notch Hobby breeder.
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gabriel

Big beautiful group you have there. Awesome...

Wow what a stunning group! Nice and chunky and round! Love the striations and the sharp red!
    【DiscusKev (Kevin) says:】
    Check out my Youtube videos
    Like my videos? 'SUBSCRIBE' ➜ www.YouTube.com/DiscusKev

Registered Member

Impressive fish, they are real beauties. You have done a great job.

Hopefully mine will get as big as yours have.

Real Name
    Jacklyn

beautiful tank and fish, simple clean and big. I love it
    ~JACKLYN~

Beautiful fish !

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tom

Thanks Daniel,
    My big mistake was not check the aging water barrel temperature before the water change. Almost killed the whole tank because of temperature shock. I resorted to add a lot of hot water from the faucet, declorinator and Epsom salt to save them.

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    your Altum's look beautiful mate...nicely done on the grow out...if you don't mind helping me learn, what was the one mistake that almost killed all of them? And how did you correct it to manage to keep the majority which are stunning specimens? Thanks for sharing!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tom

Thank you Al. i also wanted some blue snakeskin from Steve, but he didn't have any at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    What a great group of Fish! Nicely done with the raising of them.
    I have some blue snakes from Steve myself that I am really happy with. Steves a top notch Hobby breeder.
    al

Registered Member

beautiful fish and good luck with the wc.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tom

It has been almost a year since the last update to this thread. I haven’t seen much growth from the discus this year, maybe half inch or so, but then I haven’t been feeding them as much like I used to. Life and work took a toll on me. Maintenance has gone down to twice a week, mostly on the weekends, 80% water changes each time. Tanks scrubbing is done whenever I couldn’t stand the black algae on the 3D background any longer. The discus are now strictly on dried pellets, the discus bio-gold brand, once a day. 10 discuses are outgrown the 75gallons. I plan to upgrade to a larger tank soon.
    The 6 German blue rams have dwindled down to only one. I’m not sure the reason why the rams died. I tried to attach some anubias to the driftwood but it’s not growing very well. They get covered by black algae and it’s more work for me to scrub off the leaves every few weeks or so. Last week, I tried to add some bristlenose plecos to the tank, the thought was to help with the algae but immediately the discus assumed the pleco’s were food and pecked them to death. It was my fault really, the plecos were too small and there weren’t any hiding spots in the tank. They never had a chance. Also in the last week, I started to see some sign of aggressions among the discus, exhibiting what I can guess are pairing up. Two of the discus are constantly hovering over the breeding cone. I have my hopes up that these two will turn into a pair. I plan to move them to a smaller tank if they start to lay eggs on the cone. The thought of breeding discus excites me somewhat but then I have to admit I’m not ready for all that. Anyway thought I’d give you all an update. Below is a video, not the best of quality and lighting is a bit dark, but enjoy.

Real Name
    Mervin

Nice, very nice. Well done on raising a beautiful group of discus.

Real Name
    Steve

Hi Tom, they look great. I'll blame Old-timers, but I admit I don't remember selling fish quite that small, but if I did, I guess I thought they were OK. You've done a nice job with them! I haven't been breeding much lately, too busy to keep up with the water changes, but I have a nice large batch of wigglers on the cone right now, possibly from the same parents. If they get off to a good start, I may try to raise this batch.
    Last edited by RogueDiscus; 04-17-2019 at 02:42 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    Nice, very nice. Well done on raising a beautiful group of discus.
    Thank you Melvin!

Quote Originally Posted by RogueDiscus View Post
    Hi Tom, they look great. I'll blame Old-timers, but I admit I don't remember selling fish quite that small, but if I did, I guess I thought they were OK. You've done a nice job with them! I haven't been breeding much lately, too busy to keep up with the water changes, but I have a nice large batch of wigglers on the cone right now, possibly from the same parents. If they get off to a good start, I may try to raise this batch.
    Thanks Steve,
    You practically gave these away to me for free. I didn't have any experience raising discus that small at the time so it was quite a challenge.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast