AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Water Damage

Registered Member

Default Water Damage

Hi all,

Apologies this isn’t discus talk but not sure where to post.

Doing a water change last night I accidentally overfilled the tank and the stand took some water.

It’s the front of two of the vertical boards. Stand has the two outer and two inner and it’s the two on the right that have it. Looks like it’s made from MDF. Has bulged maybe a millimetre either side and probably only a couple of millimetres deep if that and probably goes 4 inches up. Also the horizontal piece the tank sits on has bulged on the top but this isn’t even a millimetre and couldn’t travel into the board because the tank is on top.

It seems minimal BUT it’s a 350 little tank. If it was smaller I wouldn’t worry. Anyone with any advice?

Would post picks but no idea how as I’m on mobile.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Water Damage

I do not have any real advice but you might take a level to ensure the tank is not tilting while the stand drys. Whoever made a stand out of MDF should be shot (not really ) for such a heavy tank.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

The tank isn’t quite level anyway, off about half a cm left to right but it’s on concrete so il will just keep an eye on to see if there is any additional lean. I was thinking some polystyrene under the actual tank should account for if there is a slight variation of pressure on the tank from the horizontal piece.
    I think it’s mdf, the bulge doesn’t really allow me to be conclusive on that. What ever it is is still hard, I can’t dig anything in to it.

Real Name
    Willie

Probably not a looming disaster, but it's coming. This will not be your only water "event". Think about replacing this stand before you have to, Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Willie is right. Buy or build a stand now. Pat is also right. Whoever decided to make a tank stand using MFD should be shot or at least be slapped silly.
    Mama Bear

Don't bother with polystyrene if the tank has a plastic trim. A slight tilt in the stand doesn't hurt if the entire surface is flat. Twisting or bowing of the surface is a no-go though.

Real Name
    Filip

MDF can further Bulge or get deformed once it gets wet .Long and heavy tanks should be perfectly leveled otherwise an uneven pressure can cause problems on the long run .

I would most certainly replace the MDF with some more water and pressure resistant material during a 90% WC without taking anything out of the tank IIWY . That should be fairly easy and quick task to do .

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    MDF can further Bulge or get deformed once it gets wet .Long and heavy tanks should be perfectly leveled otherwise an uneven pressure can cause problems on the long run .

I would most certainly replace the MDF with some more water and pressure resistant material during a 90% WC without taking anything out of the tank IIWY . That should be fairly easy and quick task to do .
    Not sure how I can replace the MDF given it is part of the build?

Registered Member

The surface is flat, no bowing or twisting so I’m not too concerned about that. It was more the vertical boards that were on my mind. Tank has plastic trim too.

It was Juwel who decided to make a stand out of these materials. So congratulations to them!
    Last edited by daffers1986; 07-10-2018 at 06:52 AM.

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by daffers1986 View Post
    The surface is flat, no bowing or twisting so I’m not too concerned about that. It was more the vertical boards that were on my mind. Tank has plastic trim too.

It was Juwel who decided to make a stand out of these materials. So congratulations to them!
    Maybe contact Juwel with a description of the damage and see what they think!!
    Pat

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Maybe contact Juwel with a description of the damage and see what they think!!
    Pat
    Yeah, I did that just now. Asking for cabinet materials and explaining the damage. Hopefully will shed more light. Cheers!

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by daffers1986 View Post
    Yeah, I did that just now. Asking for cabinet materials and explaining the damage. Hopefully will shed more light. Cheers!
    Cool did you include pics?
    Pat

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Cool did you include pics?
    Pat
    There was no option to include files so when they reply I will attach via email. Hopefully. Unless their reply system is as poorly built as their stands seem to be...😂

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Teo

I had the same issues with juwel tanks many years ago too.
    Water droplets (from strong air bubbles) accumulated at the top and flow down to the cabinet and the MDF just bloated up.
    Even the vertical pillar supporting the tank is made from MDF too.
    Quite surprised they still using the same materials after so many year.
    They are premium priced in Asia...

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by hardcore_freak View Post
    I had the same issues with juwel tanks many years ago too.
    Water droplets (from strong air bubbles) accumulated at the top and flow down to the cabinet and the MDF just bloated up.
    Even the vertical pillar supporting the tank is made from MDF too.
    Quite surprised they still using the same materials after so many year.
    They are premium priced in Asia...
    The new LED models may or may not be the same, I’m not sure. But you’d like to think they had addressed the issue.

I’m considering wedging some wood inside the right hand cabinet space. Each corner of the space. Wouldn’t be able to see because the door would close and the space would still be usable for my canister. That way pressure is removed from the vertical MDF and should deal with any sinking that might occur in the future. Thoughts anyone?
    Last edited by daffers1986; 07-10-2018 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Spelling error