ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: "Cleaner" platy?

Registered Member

Default "Cleaner" platy?

Just captured this. I have seen it the last few days actually. It appears the platy is cleaning the discus. Not just this one but a few in the tank. Anyone see this before? Seems the discus position themselves for a service much like Tangs and cleaner shrimp.

Real Name
    Rick May

Default Re: "Cleaner" platy?

Quote Originally Posted by megatrev62 View Post
    Just captured this. I have seen it the last few days actually. It appears the platy is cleaning the discus. Not just this one but a few in the tank. Anyone see this before? Seems the discus position themselves for a service much like Tangs and cleaner shrimp.
    I have never seen that. I does look like the discus is trying to get the platty to clean it and don't look stressed at all. Pretty fish btw.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by RickMay1 View Post
    I have never seen that. I does look like the discus is trying to get the platty to clean it and don't look stressed at all. Pretty fish btw.
    Yes very strange I find. No harm done and it seems all the discus appreciate the service. Lol

Not with discus (goldfish), but yes, livebearers are picky little things. Goldfish don't appreciate it nearly as much as your discus do though. Cool video.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adam S View Post
    Not with discus (goldfish), but yes, livebearers are picky little things. Goldfish don't appreciate it nearly as much as your discus do though. Cool video.
    Yeah they seem to enjoy it for sure.