ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: 75g w/ sump. Group of 25 discus grow out thread UPDATE: 2-7-16

Real Name
    Fred

Default Re: 75g w/ sump. Group of 25 discus grow out thread UPDATE: 1-7-16

Love that moonlight effect,

You're really doing a good job of growing these guys.
    Keep em coming

Cheers,

Fred

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by tunerhead24 View Post
    Nice shots! Is that a full frame?
    Yeah, my camera is a FF Sony a99

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Sandra

been enjoying the growout..

soo.. where does the water go?? Do you have a pump to refill it?

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Stonecrazy6 View Post
    been enjoying the growout..

soo.. where does the water go?? Do you have a pump to refill it?
    The water goes straight to my front lawn to water a plant/flower bed. These plants are thriving like I have never seen any plants thrive before.

Not sure if you saw the WC video on the last page, but towards the end you can see me pressing on a button to turn a return pump on to refill my tank. The whole process takes me less than 15 minutes.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Ricardo

Not a picture update but I do have a couple of udates. The Cuipeua cross is starting to show a cool blue sheen around the face. I had never noticed this prior but it looks really nice. It is also my largest discus now at 5.5". I am yet to measure one other fellow who could possibly contend in size, but he may not remain a contender for long.

Here's why; a total of 4 fish have been over in one corner of a tank and shimming from time to time. I have seen this group of 4 right near my bulkhead and picking at it. They hardly eat now due to this activity they have going on in the right side of the tank.

As many of you know, I do not plan on breeding, so this behavior is one I wish they weren't participating in, but who am I to tell them to stop trying to breed? I will let them do their thing, but as of late, I have been feeding the group less because these 4 hardly have an appetite as of late. They would rather shimmy, clean on their side. Always on the right side too and the Cuipeua dominates the left side.

I will keep you guys updated, but I don't like that they have not had the best appetite.

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Sandra

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    The water goes straight to my front lawn to water a plant/flower bed. These plants are thriving like I have never seen any plants thrive before.

Not sure if you saw the WC video on the last page, but towards the end you can see me pressing on a button to turn a return pump on to refill my tank. The whole process takes me less than 15 minutes.
    LOL! Aquaponics!! lol!

I did watch that video.. can't say I watched it all.. I see you have a large water storage container near that tank.. but I was trying to understand what was happening when you connected to something inside the tank when you were draining water.. did you drill a hole in the house? right now my small tank drains out the window and refills in a similar way as your setup, but I really like the look of what you did.. more info please.

Sandra

Real Name
    Ricardo

LOL! Aquaponics!! lol!

I did watch that video.. can't say I watched it all.. I see you have a large water storage container near that tank.. but I was trying to understand what was happening when you connected to something inside the tank when you were draining water.. did you drill a hole in the house? right now my small tank drains out the window and refills in a similar way as your setup, but I really like the look of what you did.. more info please.

Sandra
    On the lower back right side of my tank I drilled a 1" bulkhead. This bulkhead always has a strainer on it unless I am doing a WC. When I do my water change, I remove the low profile strainer and attach my pvc hose vacuum apparatus. I turn a True union ball valve like this one:
    http://pvcpipesupplies.com/1-pvc-tru...et-1410gs.html

This drains the water down to the point of the bulkhead whilst I am vacuuming the tank floor. Once I am done draining water, I turn the valve to the closed position and begin to the fill the tank from my 55g storage barrel with an Eheim 1260 that serves as my back up pump for the DT just in case it ever goes out.

As far as the plumbing is concerned? I routed the pvc from a wall port that my place already had. It then goes out to the side of the house by pvc routing and over to my front lawn. You can hardly see any pvc pipe along the wall, it is just a small run luckily. Also, I tapped in to a copper line of water, which I had to do after we got a water softener in our house. I had to excavate, route and solder to the inside of my house. For this I did have to make a hole on the side of the house. I then soldered two valves for redundancy and I have water on demand literally inches away from my 55g aging barrel. I made my whole setup super easy to do WC so they do not become a hassle. Who doesn't have 15 minutes to do a WC?

Cafepress.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tony

Enjoyed reading this. I learned a few things. Thanks for sharing Ricardo!

Great looking fish...btw

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Mustanggtandgsxr View Post
    Enjoyed reading this. I learned a few things. Thanks for sharing Ricardo!

Great looking fish...btw
    Thanks Tony

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Sandra

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    On the lower back right side of my tank I drilled a 1" bulkhead. This bulkhead always has a strainer on it unless I am doing a WC. When I do my water change, I remove the low profile strainer and attach my pvc hose vacuum apparatus. I turn a True union ball valve like this one:
    http://pvcpipesupplies.com/1-pvc-tru...et-1410gs.html

This drains the water down to the point of the bulkhead whilst I am vacuuming the tank floor. Once I am done draining water, I turn the valve to the closed position and begin to the fill the tank from my 55g storage barrel with an Eheim 1260 that serves as my back up pump for the DT just in case it ever goes out.

As far as the plumbing is concerned? I routed the pvc from a wall port that my place already had. It then goes out to the side of the house by pvc routing and over to my front lawn. You can hardly see any pvc pipe along the wall, it is just a small run luckily. Also, I tapped in to a copper line of water, which I had to do after we got a water softener in our house. I had to excavate, route and solder to the inside of my house. For this I did have to make a hole on the side of the house. I then soldered two valves for redundancy and I have water on demand literally inches away from my 55g aging barrel. I made my whole setup super easy to do WC so they do not become a hassle. Who doesn't have 15 minutes to do a WC?
    how "clean" of a setup.. 15 mins is very nice. I'll have to see if hubby will cut a hole in my house to drain a fish tank.. lol!!
    My QT 36g takes at least 30mins.. or more. I ran clear flexible tubing around my studio with a long extension cord for a pump.. so all I have to do to start reflilling is a click of a power switch.. but I have to sit at my computer and monitor .. floods at my computer are not good.. it's happened more than once. I have a float valve on my reservoir, so that fills without any thought.. I am always looking for efficient ways to run ... well everything..

Now that I look at this photo.. I really need to get those power strips elevated.. where's the Velcro??!! LOL!!

Photo Jan 27, 4 39 02 PM.jpg

Real Name
    Ricardo

how "clean" of a setup.. 15 mins is very nice. I'll have to see if hubby will cut a hole in my house to drain a fish tank.. lol!!
    My QT 36g takes at least 30mins.. or more. I ran clear flexible tubing around my studio with a long extension cord for a pump.. so all I have to do to start reflilling is a click of a power switch.. but I have to sit at my computer and monitor .. floods at my computer are not good.. it's happened more than once. I have a float valve on my reservoir, so that fills without any thought.. I am always looking for efficient ways to run ... well everything..

Now that I look at this photo.. I really need to get those power strips elevated.. where's the Velcro??!! LOL!!

Photo Jan 27, 4 39 02 PM.jpg
    Holy Cow! Needless to say I'm sure, but that isn't safe! Yeah, put those power cords up high somewhere. Or, do what I always do and build a stand for the tank

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Sandra

ok.. all safe now.. power cords up and away..

anyone now.. what way do you measure your fish? I've been wondering this for some time now.. pick them out and hold next to a ruler? Is there any other way ?

Sandra

ps.. looking forward for some video or pictorial updates!!

Real Name
    Ricardo

ok.. all safe now.. power cords up and away..

anyone now.. what way do you measure your fish? I've been wondering this for some time now.. pick them out and hold next to a ruler? Is there any other way ?

Sandra

ps.. looking forward for some video or pictorial updates!!
    I scoop my discus up two ways, with my bare hand or with a lemonade jug that is kind of rectangular. Once I scoop them out, I simply put a measuring tape right over them to get a gauge on how big they are. It isn't accurate to the 1/16 degree, but it is good enough to get a general idea. I do this once in a while with a few of my discus just to get a feel of how they have grown. I mainly focus on the smaller ones and see if they have grown since the last time I scooped them up.

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Ricardo

Approximately 8 month old group. This may be the last photo session showing all 13 discus. The last thinning of the herd will happen in the next week or two and I will be down to the final 8. It is going to be a difficult decision. The largest one in the group now is the Cuipeua Cross for sure at a little over 5.5". You can base the size of the others off of this one. I chose to do a shoot with no flash what-so-ever so I had to push the ISO pretty high up. Sorry about that but didn't feel like taking all the gear out.

Discus Group ~8 Months Old by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr
    Not the same one as the previous picture
    Probably the tallest of the group, but smallest in length.

Group shots. Not all discus were pictured above. A lot of the nice and round 14 bars weren't cooperating in the individual shots:

Cafepress.com

Default Re: 75g w/ sump. Group of 25 discus grow out thread UPDATE: 2-7-16

Incredible, very nice shots of beautiful Discus Ricardo, well done

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast