AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Considering Discus - Help Me Get Into The Discus Game (Newbie Questions)

Real Name
    Zac

Default Re: Considering Discus - Help Me Get Into The Discus Game (Newbie Questions)

Ok, so I have ordered 8 white Butterfly discus. Just a quick question, is it ok to feed them red pigment or are they like yellows and best fed foods without yellow pigment? From what I have read it sounds like they are like the yellows in the no red camp but I thought I would just check.

Real Name
    Sean

Default Re: Considering Discus - Help Me Get Into The Discus Game (Newbie Questions)

Quote Originally Posted by zhuls1 View Post
    Ok, so I have ordered 8 white Butterfly discus. Just a quick question, is it ok to feed them red pigment or are they like yellows and best fed foods without yellow pigment? From what I have read it sounds like they are like the yellows in the no red camp but I thought I would just check.
    No you’ll be fine with red pigment. I have white pigeons with golden San merahs and the red pigment in many of the foods I feed doesn’t affect the white pigeonbloods.

Real Name
    Zac

Ok, thanks

Real Name
    Zac

I have recieved my discus, and they look absolutely amazing. Phone camera doesn't do them any justice.discus3.jpgDiscus2.jpgDiscus1.jpg

Real Name
    Filip

I tottaly agree Zac . They look more than amazing .I would have bought a couple more for my self because they look great .

Real Name
    Zac

Yes, and so far, even though they had only been in the tank for about 2 hours they are already eating, I just had to feed them as they were begging me for food lol. Even after being a bag flown halfway across QLD.

Real Name
    Zac

Hey all, my discus have been very skittish and was just wondering if this would be normal 10 days in? are they just adjusting still or do you think there is another problem. They tend to hide alot of the time and are quite heavily peppered where the stress bars would normally be (I know pidgeon bloods don't really get stress bars) I have a white foam under the tank and a kind of dark blue background at the back. Before I had no background with off white walls and they were still quite dark, Is this environmental, stress or are they still adapting to the new water? They are eating well (at times they seem like little pirahnas, even eating out of my hand.) but dart around the tank every now and then. I have 7 in a 180l tank doing 50% daily waterchanges. Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are all at 0. I feed between 4 - 8 times a day (try to keep to the upper side of this, but at times only get about 4 feedings due to being busy.) What do you suggest?

Real Name
    Filip

Hey all, my discus have been very skittish and was just wondering if this would be normal 10 days in? are they just adjusting still or do you think there is another problem. They tend to hide alot of the time and are quite heavily peppered where the stress bars would normally be (I know pidgeon bloods don't really get stress bars) I have a white foam under the tank and a kind of dark blue background at the back. Before I had no background with off white walls and they were still quite dark, Is this environmental, stress or are they still adapting to the new water? They are eating well (at times they seem like little pirahnas, even eating out of my hand.) but dart around the tank every now and then. I have 7 in a 180l tank doing 50% daily waterchanges. Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are all at 0. I feed between 4 - 8 times a day (try to keep to the upper side of this, but at times only get about 4 feedings due to being busy.) What do you suggest?

If they dart around randomly ,without sudden movement or light in the room stressing them , there might be something that's been bothering them . Maybe something in water or maybe some pathogens on their skin .
    I would try my hand first with beter water quality and bigger WCs just to rule that out .
    7 - 4-5" discus in a 40 gallon is a little bit of pushing it , and maybe you need biger changes until you filter catch up with the current bioload.

Real Name
    Greg

They look awesome! Good luck!

Real Name
    Zac

Just as a bit of an update, my discus are going well and will be upggrading their tank to a 120g.

Registered Member

I’m considering getting into the discus scene as well. Out of curiousity, where did you end up getting your fish from. I’m down in Melbourne and I’m not sure where I’m going to be sourcing the discus from yet.
    Cheers,

Jimmy

Real Name
    Zac

Hey Jimmy, as I mentioned in your other posts, I got my discus from Gold Coast Discus. Search his facebook group if interested.

Registered Member

Hey Jimmy, as I mentioned in your other posts, I got my discus from Gold Coast Discus. Search his facebook group if interested.
    Sorry didn’t realise that was you who suggested Gold Coast. I sent a request today to join the FB group. Cheers.

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

I have recieved my discus, and they look absolutely amazing. Phone camera doesn't do them any justice.discus3.jpgDiscus2.jpgDiscus1.jpg
    Looks like you are well and truly into discus now and congratulations on your fine purchase. Seems like you have done loads of research which will hold you in good steed.
    Interested to see updated photos of your group and set up.
    Enjoy growing them out and best of luck
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Real Name
    Zac

Thanks joe, have had them for about 3 months now. The other day I saw another local hobbyists discus, one of his was about the size I got mine at, I can't believe they were so tiny just a few short months ago. As an update, they are now in a 120g tank with a 40g sump. I am ordering and additional 4 starlight galaxy turquoise discus and 4 reflection deep discus, currently I am changing 50% of the tanks water a day and will probably continue this routine for the future. I am changing my filter socks every other day.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast