ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Discus Parasite

Registered Member

Default Discus Parasite

So does anyone know what this is? I've searched high and low on the internet and Untergasser's Handbook of fish diseases but could not figure out what this parasite is and how to kill it.

I've tried Levamisole and Flubendezole(Kusuri Wormer Plus) but can't seem to kill it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Discus Parasite

Quote Originally Posted by joricano View Post
    So does anyone know what this is? I've searched high and low on the internet and Untergasser's Handbook of fish diseases but could not figure out what this parasite is and how to kill it.

I've tried Levamisole and Flubendezole(Kusuri Wormer Plus) but can't seem to kill it.
    i would say just a detritus worm . would think wp would have worked. I wouldn't worry about it. many things you will find scoping most are harmless
    Jim

Registered Member

This fish does not eat as well. Which the reason why i checked the feces.

Quote Originally Posted by joricano View Post
    This fish does not eat as well. Which the reason why i checked the feces.
    Was that a fresh catch from the fish or was the feces in the water for a bit.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

If you saw no eggs or worms in feces or feces not yellow then I would up temp to 88 treat 2 weeks on metro (Jehmco). If no improvement leave it be. When I scoped and found things I found most references googling pond life or similar searches

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Was that a fresh catch from the fish or was the feces in the water for a bit.

al
    Not a fresh catch, but it's the only fish in the hospital tank. There are no detritus since tank was sanitized before it was stored. Feces is also whitish yellow(not the normal feces)

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by jimg View Post
    If you saw no eggs or worms in feces or feces not yellow then I would up temp to 88 treat 2 weeks on metro (Jehmco). If no improvement leave it be. When I scoped and found things I found most references googling pond life or similar searches
    When i first put the fish in the hospital tank I could see tiny little things(which is what hexamita looks like according to the Youtube videos i've seen) along with this worm looking things. I treated with Metro and what's left is that huge worm looking thing. There's lots of them too. At least 6 in the slide. I wanted to show what it looked like whole since i couldn't upload the video clip.
    That's when i treated with dewormers(levamisole and Kusuri) But these things doesn't seem to be affected by it.

Try to get fresh feces need patience! Other things (harmless)are always in water especially if your water is from an open watercourse they also come with the fish on their bodies. Could also be planarians. If worms are present in fish you will see them or eggs Was. The fish eating before the levamisole?

Registered Member

Try to get fresh feces need patience! Other things (harmless)are always in water especially if your water is from an open watercourse they also come with the fish on their bodies. Could also be planarians. If worms are present in fish you will see them or eggs Was. The fish eating before the levamisole?
    Nope. Fish stopped eating so i moved it to hospital tank. Then i looked at the feces and found hex looking flagellates and this worm looking things. Treated with metro and flagellates are gone but this worm looking things are still alive.

Planarians can be seen by the naked eye right? This is a x100 magnification

There are many different types some too small to be seen some bigger not sure it is a planarian type worm just a guess. I would keep scoping run the recommended wormer treatment then just leave be. Flagellates or worms can irritate the intestines for awhile after their gone if it’s ok it will eventually eat if not it may never be well. Best is to get meds in food. In water is mostly just a long shot. If you already did metro leave temp 82 and hope for the best
    Last edited by jimg; 08-07-2018 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Sp

Registered Member

There are many different types some too small to be seen some bigger not sure it is a planarian type worm just a guess. I would keep scoping run the recommended wormer treatment then just leave be. Flagellates or worms can irritate the intestines for awhile after their gone if it’s ok it will eventually eat if not it may never be well. Best is to get meds in food. In water is mostly just a long shot. If you already did metro leave temp 82 and hope for the best
    OK..it still eats live blackworms but that's it

Check your live blackworm containers to see if they are there as well. These may be from the water the worms are in.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Check your live blackworm containers to see if they are there as well. These may be from the water the worms are in.

al
    This parasite was there before i started feeding live blackworms. The only reason i fed the fish live blackworm was because it was the only food it ate. I can check the water but i don't think i'll find it there.

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Difficult to say from a single and static picture, anyway it seems not to be segmented (so not an oligochaeta) and somewhat flattened so my guess would be some sort of (micro) Turbellaria
    Last edited by Paul Sabucchi; 08-09-2018 at 08:27 AM.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sabucchi View Post
    Difficult to say from a single and static picture, anyway it seems not to be segmented (so not an oligochaeta) and somewhat flattened so my guess would be some sort of (micro) Turbellaria
    You might be right with the micro turbellaria. It looks similar from the google images that came up

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast